Anna Kettle

Default Yet another drainage problem

I am designing myself a small plasterer's yard and thought I would run
my ideas past you all to see if there are any holes in my plan

The floor will be made of cement slabs which are cemented together to
provide a fall towards the centre

Below the floor level in the centre I will put a trough which will
catch mortar from the slurry which I sweep towards it and allows the
water to overflow. At the end of each session I will empty the trough
of solids

The trough will need to be resistant to UV and being bashed around and
should have an overflow vent near the top. An old ceramic sink maybe

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
smudger

go away

John Rumm

smudger wrote:

go away

What is your problem exactly?

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Bacon

Anna Kettle wrote:
Below the floor level in the centre I will put a trough which will
catch mortar from the slurry which I sweep towards it and allows the
water to overflow. At the end of each session I will empty the trough
of solids

The trough will need to be resistant to UV and being bashed around and
should have an overflow vent near the top. An old ceramic sink maybe

Hm. The cut off bottom of a plastic barrel, maybe? Cheap, also if you
get a build up of stuck-on muck, you can bend it. Overflow is easy,
cut a hole in it and use plastic fittings.
John Rumm

Anna Kettle wrote:

The floor will be made of cement slabs which are cemented together to
provide a fall towards the centre

Below the floor level in the centre I will put a trough which will
catch mortar from the slurry which I sweep towards it and allows the
water to overflow. At the end of each session I will empty the trough
of solids

The trough will need to be resistant to UV and being bashed around and
should have an overflow vent near the top. An old ceramic sink maybe

I presume the intention is to allow the solid matter to settle out
before sending the water to the drain?

I would have thought it would need to hold the slurry for a while to
allow it to settle, rather than having a continous flow through it.
Having a drain at a fixed place may also prove trickey since it will
only work when full - but the level of solids in the tank may be much
lower. Perhaps you need some form of sliding side so that you can set
the level that water is drawn off?

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

Anna Kettle wrote:
The trough will need to be resistant to UV and being bashed around and
should have an overflow vent near the top. An old ceramic sink maybe

Roadside gutters drain into big plastic barrel-like sumps to catch the
leaves and suchlike before connecting to the main drains. Not sure about
UK stable as they're normally buried. But an amble round a big
below-ground drainage merchants might provide some inspiration.

Owain

Anna Kettle

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:25:42 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Hm. The cut off bottom of a plastic barrel, maybe? Cheap, also if you
get a build up of stuck-on muck, you can bend it. Overflow is easy,
cut a hole in it and use plastic fittings.

Flexible might be helpful too for if it gets so crudded up that I want
to replace it without moving the slabs. Now I've started thinking
about VERY flexible, like a binbag. No maybe thats just too tinny, but
something that will easily fold up to come out and is readily
available to do replacements ... hm

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Anna Kettle

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:25:46 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

I presume the intention is to allow the solid matter to settle out
before sending the water to the drain?

Yes

I would have thought it would need to hold the slurry for a while to
allow it to settle, rather than having a continous flow through it.
Having a drain at a fixed place may also prove trickey since it will
only work when full - but the level of solids in the tank may be much
lower. Perhaps you need some form of sliding side so that you can set
the level that water is drawn off?

Would be lovely, but moving parts and mortar don't go together very
well cos very soon the moving parts don't. Maybe I could organise a
siphon to draw off the water and decant it onto my new neighbour's
garden which conveniently is a couple of feet lower than mine

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Owain

Anna Kettle wrote:
Would be lovely, but moving parts and mortar don't go together very
well cos very soon the moving parts don't. Maybe I could organise a
siphon to draw off the water and decant it onto my new neighbour's
garden which conveniently is a couple of feet lower than mine

I'm thinking of something like a super-charged cement-mixer (without the
baffles inside) that instead of churning things together centrifugally
separates the solids from the liquids.

Owain

John

"Owain" wrote in message
Anna Kettle wrote:
Would be lovely, but moving parts and mortar don't go together very
well cos very soon the moving parts don't. Maybe I could organise a
siphon to draw off the water and decant it onto my new neighbour's
garden which conveniently is a couple of feet lower than mine

I'm thinking of something like a super-charged cement-mixer (without the
baffles inside) that instead of churning things together centrifugally
separates the solids from the liquids.

Owain

Try a beach centrifuge