BillR

Default Waste drainage problem

alex wrote:
Hi,

I have just fitted a glass bowl basin in my bathroom, it has a pop-up
waste and no overflow. I have problems getting the water to flow
away, I usually have to operate the waste several times in quick
succession, it seems as if there is an airlock.

or insuficient slope on the wate pipe..
Could this be because of no overflow to admit air?

That isn't the job of an overflow.
If so, is it possible to fit some sort of device to admit air?

you can get a bottle trap that is meant for syphoning problems, Marley about
5 quid in B&Q.
I doubt it will help your problem though
Many thanks in anticipation.

maybe a fundemental design problem with the basin.
Often the fancy looking items are a bit impractical like one toilet I fitted
not too long ago, looks great but blocks very easily..

Chris J Dixon

BillR wrote:

Often the fancy looking items are a bit impractical like one toilet I fitted
not too long ago, looks great but blocks very easily..

That is what worries me about choosing a new one, as I am in the
process of doing. I'm sure they all meet (somebody's) standards,
but that doesn't necessarily mean that they work well in real
life.

Any specific pointers?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Chris J Dixon

"alex" wrote:

I have just fitted a glass bowl basin in my bathroom, it has a pop-up waste
and no overflow.

What is the regulatory position about sink & bath overflows?

IIRC it used to be down to local requirements.

Can the bath pop-up waste fittings that seem to be popular now be
used without the overflow connection?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
The Natural Philosopher

Chris J Dixon wrote:

BillR wrote:

Often the fancy looking items are a bit impractical like one toilet I fitted
not too long ago, looks great but blocks very easily..

That is what worries me about choosing a new one, as I am in the
process of doing. I'm sure they all meet (somebody's) standards,
but that doesn't necessarily mean that they work well in real
life.

Any specific pointers?

Anything will work with a saniflo pump :-)

Chris

The Natural Philosopher

Chris J Dixon wrote:

"alex" wrote:

I have just fitted a glass bowl basin in my bathroom, it has a pop-up waste
and no overflow.

What is the regulatory position about sink & bath overflows?

IIRC it used to be down to local requirements.

Can the bath pop-up waste fittings that seem to be popular now be
used without the overflow connection?

I looked in my 2 year old regs copy, and the matters addressed are pipe
diamter (32mm) and use of traps only. No mention is made of requirements
for overflow.

I have left many a bath/sink/basin running and flooded the floor, even
equipped with overflow. No overflow I have ever used can cope with mains
pressure water at full crack on even a basin tap.

My conclusion is they are almost a waste of time: The only time they do
something useful is when you lower yourself gently into the bath, you
don't have to pull the plug out to drop the water level if you do it
slow enough for the overflow to cope.

Chris

Chris J Dixon

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

BillR wrote:

Often the fancy looking items are a bit impractical like one toilet I fitted
not too long ago, looks great but blocks very easily..

That is what worries me about choosing a new one, as I am in the
process of doing. I'm sure they all meet (somebody's) standards,
but that doesn't necessarily mean that they work well in real
life.

Any specific pointers?

Anything will work with a saniflo pump :-)

Let's not go there :-(

Anyway, surely the s******w won't actually suck out of the pan,
it simply pumps away (most of) what is presented to it

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Chris J Dixon

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I looked in my 2 year old regs copy, and the matters addressed are pipe
diamter (32mm) and use of traps only. No mention is made of requirements
for overflow.

I have left many a bath/sink/basin running and flooded the floor, even
equipped with overflow. No overflow I have ever used can cope with mains
pressure water at full crack on even a basin tap.

My conclusion is they are almost a waste of time: The only time they do
something useful is when you lower yourself gently into the bath, you
don't have to pull the plug out to drop the water level if you do it
slow enough for the overflow to cope.

Alternatively, if you don't fit one (and you don't make waves)
you can have another 50 mm of water to soak in.

When bath capacities are stated, what are the standards for
measurement? ISTR an allowance of 70 litres for displacement.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
alex

Hi,

I have just fitted a glass bowl basin in my bathroom, it has a pop-up waste
and no overflow. I have problems getting the water to flow away, I usually
have to operate the waste several times in quick succession, it seems as if
there is an airlock.

Could this be because of no overflow to admit air?

If so, is it possible to fit some sort of device to admit air?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Basin Fittings Non Standard RatBox UK diy 4 November 13th 03 07:49 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 05:35 PM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM