Martin Carroll

Default Whose responsibility?

The electricity meter is in a cabinet flush fitted to the outside wall
of my house. Today the door fell off and I was wondering whether it is
my responsibility to replace it or whether this is something that my
electricity provider should sort out.

What seems to have happened is that (plastic) lugs on which the door
fits have broken off and I can't see how this can be sorted out without
the replacement of the whole casing. This would necessitate some work
on the supply side of the meter to replace it.

Thanks

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Colin Wilson

The electricity meter is in a cabinet flush fitted to the outside wall
of my house. Today the door fell off and I was wondering whether it is
my responsibility to replace it or whether this is something that my
electricity provider should sort out.

Its a grey area - although the odds are they`ll sort it for you. Might
require a jointer to disconnect and then reconnect afterwards.

Grunff

Martin Carroll wrote:
The electricity meter is in a cabinet flush fitted to the outside wall
of my house. Today the door fell off and I was wondering whether it is
my responsibility to replace it or whether this is something that my
electricity provider should sort out.

What seems to have happened is that (plastic) lugs on which the door
fits have broken off and I can't see how this can be sorted out without
the replacement of the whole casing. This would necessitate some work
on the supply side of the meter to replace it.

The same happened on our last house. I replaced the plastic lugs with
nice stainless steel bolts.

--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

The same happened on our last house. I replaced the plastic lugs with

nice stainless steel bolts.

Did you earth-bond them? :-)

fred

In article , Grunff
writes
wrote:

Did you earth-bond them? :-)

No, but I figured since the steel latch wasn't earthed, there was no
need :-)

I was going to fabricate a meter box from steel to make it more vandal
resistant until I had a chat with a friendly leccy company installations guy.
He said they would probably refuse to wire into it as they were scared(*)
to work with high amp electrical in a metal box :-)

(*) not his words, I read between the lines.
--
fred
John

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Grunff
writes
wrote:

Did you earth-bond them? :-)

No, but I figured since the steel latch wasn't earthed, there was no
need :-)

I was going to fabricate a meter box from steel to make it more vandal
resistant until I had a chat with a friendly leccy company installations
guy.
He said they would probably refuse to wire into it as they were scared(*)
to work with high amp electrical in a metal box :-)

(*) not his words, I read between the lines.

So thats why most of the HV distribution switchgear around has metal casing?
I've yet to see a grid switchfarm with plastic casing on the equipment.

Colin Wilson

So thats why most of the HV distribution switchgear around has metal casing?
I've yet to see a grid switchfarm with plastic casing on the equipment.

Tried working on a GEC VMX breaker recently ?

I bet they turn that stuff off before they work on it though.

Generally do with switchgear, although live line working at HV is
commonplace.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Carroll
The electricity meter is in a cabinet flush fitted to the outside wall
of my house. Today the door fell off and I was wondering whether it is
my responsibility to replace it or whether this is something that my
electricity provider should sort out.

What seems to have happened is that (plastic) lugs on which the door
fits have broken off and I can't see how this can be sorted out without
the replacement of the whole casing. This would necessitate some work
on the supply side of the meter to replace it.

Thanks

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

If the electricity is the same as the gas meter boxes then once installed the box becomes the property of the house owner - bit of a bugger especially the cavity boxes.
The electricity board will probably repair/replace the box but will charge you, especially if any work is required on their apparatus.

Check with them beforehand. (good luck with the call centres- best bet is to ask one of their lads in the vans)

Hope this helps

Meter Board - Whose responsibility? matt UK diy 7 February 28th 05 03:53 PM
Hate such builders Bob Home Repair 28 January 31st 05 09:23 PM
OT - Manhole covers. Responsibility & availability Mr Lawes UK diy 3 December 29th 04 08:32 PM
computer clocks Lurch UK diy 199 December 21st 04 10:43 PM
How to Clean Copper (oxides?) Telephone Network Interface Box Music Man Metalworking 15 August 25th 03 03:29 AM