matt

Default Meter Board - Whose responsibility?

Just been down the cellar in a friends house to get a meter reading, and
when I touched the meter, the board fell away from the wall.

I have temporarily secured the board in place by tying it up with cord (to
prevent any strain on the cables). Is the refixing of the board the
responsibility of the house owner or the electicity company?

It appears that the board came away due to dampness in the cellar causing
the fixing screws to rust. I suspect that there are regulations regarding
electrical installations and dampness, is it likely that the electricity
company would refuse to reinstall (if their responsibility) due to the
dampness causing the initial problem?

bof

In message , matt
writes
Just been down the cellar in a friends house to get a meter reading, and
when I touched the meter, the board fell away from the wall.

I have temporarily secured the board in place by tying it up with cord (to
prevent any strain on the cables). Is the refixing of the board the
responsibility of the house owner or the electicity company?

It appears that the board came away due to dampness in the cellar causing
the fixing screws to rust. I suspect that there are regulations regarding
electrical installations and dampness, is it likely that the electricity
company would refuse to reinstall (if their responsibility) due to the
dampness causing the initial problem?

I had one that was woodwormy and the electric people replaced it FOC

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Stephen Dawson

"bof" wrote in message
In message , matt
writes
Just been down the cellar in a friends house to get a meter reading, and
when I touched the meter, the board fell away from the wall.

I have temporarily secured the board in place by tying it up with cord (to
prevent any strain on the cables). Is the refixing of the board the
responsibility of the house owner or the electicity company?

It appears that the board came away due to dampness in the cellar causing
the fixing screws to rust. I suspect that there are regulations regarding
electrical installations and dampness, is it likely that the electricity
company would refuse to reinstall (if their responsibility) due to the
dampness causing the initial problem?

I had one that was woodwormy and the electric people replaced it FOC

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Ring the leecy board up and they will come around and replace it

Colin Wilson

Is the refixing of the board the responsibility of the house owner or
the electicity company?

Electric Co. and usually FOC (never known one to be charged for yet*).

Depending on the type of cable it may not be safe to try to replace
yourself anyway - some paper/lead (PILC) cables don`t take kindly to
being moved after being in the same place for a considerable length of
time.

As an aside, the meter board is supposed to be there for the electric
co's use only, and shouldn't have a consumer unit on there.

* in the big scheme of things now, depending on who your supplier is, the
REC might pass on costs to the supplier which they might, in turn, try to
foist on you as a customer. If they try this resist strongly and remind
them that they have a statutory duty to ensure their equipment is
maintained or replaced as necessary. You are not able to break the seals
on their equipment to remove the cutout to enable you to replace the
board, ergo, the meter board is their equipment and responsibility.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
matt wrote:
Just been down the cellar in a friends house to get a meter reading, and
when I touched the meter, the board fell away from the wall.

I have temporarily secured the board in place by tying it up with cord (to
prevent any strain on the cables). Is the refixing of the board the
responsibility of the house owner or the electicity company?

It appears that the board came away due to dampness in the cellar causing
the fixing screws to rust. I suspect that there are regulations regarding
electrical installations and dampness, is it likely that the electricity
company would refuse to reinstall (if their responsibility) due to the
dampness causing the initial problem?

It's their property, so their problem. But expect them to want to move it
to the top of the cellar stairs - as should have been done years ago.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stephen Dawson

It's their property, so their problem. But expect them to want to move it
to the top of the cellar stairs - as should have been done years ago.

On what basis?? I doubt they will move, if you want it to be moved then it
becomes a chargeable job.

Alex W

Stephen Dawson wrote:
It's their property, so their problem. But expect them to want to move it
to the top of the cellar stairs - as should have been done years ago.

On what basis?? I doubt they will move, if you want it to be moved then it
becomes a chargeable job.

Yes that's what I found. And depending on the circumstances this can get
quite pricey.