Ian Waddell

Default New switch wiring

I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

TIA

Ian

...Jerry...

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes

on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

Two way switches don't have 'On' or 'Off' positions, both positions can be
on or off depending on the other switch.

This sounds like a troll...

troubleinstore

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes

on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

TIA

Ian

Swap the the cables on L1 & L2 around. that should fix it.

--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Owain

"Ian Waddell" wrote
| I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There
| are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.
| I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had
| the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes
on
| when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
| "ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.
| What can I do to remedy this?

Operate the *other* switch controlling that light once.

Owain

...Jerry...

"troubleinstore" wrote in message

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights).

There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which

had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes

on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

Swap the the cables on L1 & L2 around. that should fix it.

Until someone uses the other switch!....

Lurch

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:36:54 +0100, "...Jerry..."
strung together this:

I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights). There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes
on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

Two way switches don't have 'On' or 'Off' positions, both positions can be
on or off depending on the other switch.

I used to work for a bloke that wanted all 2 way switches to be off
when in the up position, PITA really so I never bothered.

This sounds like a troll...

If it's not a troll then swap the L1 and L2 wires over at one of the
switches.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Ian Waddell

Sorry,

It's a double switch, the left switch controls a downstairs light (one
way) - the right switch controls the upstairs light in conjunction with the
upstairs switch (two way).

I have L1, L2 and common connected on the right switch and just L2 and
common on the left switch - does this change any of the advice given?

TIA

Ian
"...Jerry..." wrote in message

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
I'm trying to fit a new light switch (2-way, controlling 2 lights).

There
are 2x common 2x L1 and 2x L2 connectors on the new switch.

I wired it yesterday and wired it identically to the old switch (which

had
the same connector labellings). However, the downstairs light now comes

on
when the switch is in the "OFF" position, and turns off when it's in the
"ON" position - and no the switch isn't upside down.

What can I do to remedy this?

Two way switches don't have 'On' or 'Off' positions, both positions can be
on or off depending on the other switch.

This sounds like a troll...

RichardS

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
Sorry,

It's a double switch, the left switch controls a downstairs light (one
way) - the right switch controls the upstairs light in conjunction with

the
upstairs switch (two way).

I have L1, L2 and common connected on the right switch and just L2 and
common on the left switch - does this change any of the advice given?

TIA

You're a bit stuck with the left switch - the only thing you can do is turn
the entire faceplate upside down.

As Jerry says...

Two way switches don't have 'On' or 'Off' positions, both positions can

be
on or off depending on the other switch.

.... so there isn't anything that you can do about that one, I'm afraid.
It's just the nature of the circuit.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

...Jerry...

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
Sorry,

It's a double switch, the left switch controls a downstairs light (one
way) - the right switch controls the upstairs light in conjunction with

the
upstairs switch (two way).

I have L1, L2 and common connected on the right switch and just L2 and
common on the left switch - does this change any of the advice given?

You're a bit stuck with the left switch - the only thing you can do is

turn
the entire faceplate upside down.

snip

No he is not, swap the L2 for L1 on the switch being used as a one way.

BTW, to the OP, please don't top post, it makes following the thread
difficult.

RichardS

"...Jerry..." wrote in message

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
Sorry,

It's a double switch, the left switch controls a downstairs light (one
way) - the right switch controls the upstairs light in conjunction

with
the
upstairs switch (two way).

I have L1, L2 and common connected on the right switch and just L2 and
common on the left switch - does this change any of the advice given?

You're a bit stuck with the left switch - the only thing you can do is

turn
the entire faceplate upside down.

snip

No he is not, swap the L2 for L1 on the switch being used as a one way.

but unless I misread the reply, there is only a L2 and common for the left
switch. (bit odd really, why don't they lable it L1 then?!!!)

BTW, to the OP, please don't top post, it makes following the thread
difficult.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

...Jerry...

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
snip

but unless I misread the reply, there is only a L2 and common for the left
switch. (bit odd really, why don't they lable it L1 then?!!!)

I think you miss read it, both switches on the face plate are two way, one
being used as a two way and the other is being used as a one way, it is this
latter switch that has caused the problem.

ARWadsworth

"...Jerry..." wrote in message

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
snip

but unless I misread the reply, there is only a L2 and common for the

left
switch. (bit odd really, why don't they lable it L1 then?!!!)

I think you miss read it, both switches on the face plate are two way, one
being used as a two way and the other is being used as a one way, it is

this
latter switch that has caused the problem.

As simple as swapping L1 for L2 on the left switch. And the OP may have
wired up the new switch identically to the old switch. Some switches have
for some annoying reason the words use L2 for one way operation.

Adam

Dave Stanton

I used to work for a bloke that wanted all 2 way switches to be off
when in the up position, PITA really so I never bothered.

he was or the switches ? g

Dave

Lurch

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:16:00 +0100, Dave Stanton
strung together this:

I used to work for a bloke that wanted all 2 way switches to be off
when in the up position, PITA really so I never bothered.

he was or the switches ? g

Both, that was just one example of his PITAness! It was only
subcontract so I moved on shortly after.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
OldScrawn

Operate the *other* switch controlling that light once.

I *think* it was a troll. If not, I have a solution involing relays; but this
margin is not wide enough to accommodate it.... :-)

RichardS

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

"...Jerry..." wrote in message

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
snip

but unless I misread the reply, there is only a L2 and common for the

left
switch. (bit odd really, why don't they lable it L1 then?!!!)

I think you miss read it, both switches on the face plate are two way,

one
being used as a two way and the other is being used as a one way, it is

this
latter switch that has caused the problem.

As simple as swapping L1 for L2 on the left switch. And the OP may have
wired up the new switch identically to the old switch. Some switches have
for some annoying reason the words use L2 for one way operation.

Adam

ah, just re-read the OP's reply post.

Of course I had read it that there were L1 and L2 terminals on one of the
switches, and only L2 on the other - i.e. a 1 way and a 2 way in one
faceplate (admittedly not like any switch that I've ever come across, but I
wasn't making assumptions....)

re-reading, it appears that he's referring to the connections as they exist
rather than available terminals, in which case I agree with all above, and
changing the one-way switch position is therefore the trivial job of
changing the connection from L2 to L1.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Triple 1 way switch wiring. Martin MacKenzie UK diy 8 June 7th 04 06:50 PM
Wiring a dimmer switch.... Floozie UK diy 51 February 5th 04 03:08 PM
Switch Wiring Chris Spyrou UK diy 2 November 18th 03 09:24 PM
Confused 120v & 240v Wiring - Please Help James UK diy 4 November 2nd 03 06:14 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM