Michael Burrows

Default Potterton Netaheat 16-10 Earthing Plate

Since we moved into this house 6 months ago our boiler has failed 3
times. On each occasion the problem is a corroded earthing plate in
the igition system. This is the part that the spark jumps to to light
the pilot.

On each occasion the fitter refuses to believe that the part was
replaced on the last occasion, its in such a bad state. I rang the
tech advice at Potterton and they say we should check the polarity.
Fitter did that and says its OK.

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do
not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

Anybody got any ideas?
IMM

"Michael Burrows" wrote in message
om...
Since we moved into this house 6 months ago our boiler has failed 3
times. On each occasion the problem is a corroded earthing plate in
the igition system. This is the part that the spark jumps to to light
the pilot.

On each occasion the fitter refuses to believe that the part was
replaced on the last occasion, its in such a bad state. I rang the
tech advice at Potterton and they say we should check the polarity.
Fitter did that and says its OK.

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do
not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

Anybody got any ideas?

The Neataheat was fine boiler for its day, when it came out 30 years ago.
It is long past its sell by date. Modern condensing boilers are far more
efficient, I would consider getting one of these fitted, otherwise you will
have large bills nickel and diming the Neataheat to keep it going. You gas
bills will drop approx 30% if installing a new condenser.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:26:18 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do
not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

The Neataheat was fine boiler for its day, when it came out 30 years ago.
It is long past its sell by date. Modern condensing boilers are far more
efficient, I would consider getting one of these fitted, otherwise you will
have large bills nickel and diming the Neataheat to keep it going. You gas
bills will drop approx 30% if installing a new condenser.

Not a very constructive answer in the short term, though.

'The earthing plate corrodes' ... 'get a new boiler'.

We have a Netaheat and it has not failed since we moved here ten years
ago. Clearly our earthing plate is fine!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:26:18 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do
not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

The Neataheat was fine boiler for its day, when it came out 30 years

ago.
It is long past its sell by date. Modern condensing boilers are far

more
efficient, I would consider getting one of these fitted, otherwise you

will
have large bills nickel and diming the Neataheat to keep it going. You

gas
bills will drop approx 30% if installing a new condenser.

Not a very constructive answer in the short term, though.

If DIYing you can get a condesning boier ina days ot so and fit it in. Very
short term.

'The earthing plate corrodes' ... 'get a new boiler'.

Yes. The best thing as he has had three and will continue to replace
expensive parts on this boiler. Just not worth it, time for the scapheap.

We have a Netaheat and it has not failed
since we moved here ten years
ago. Clearly our earthing plate is fine!

Wait until it start to play up and the bills roll in.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:38:25 -0700, Michael Burrows wrote:

Since we moved into this house 6 months ago our boiler has failed 3
times. On each occasion the problem is a corroded earthing plate in
the igition system. This is the part that the spark jumps to to light
the pilot.

On each occasion the fitter refuses to believe that the part was
replaced on the last occasion, its in such a bad state. I rang the
tech advice at Potterton and they say we should check the polarity.
Fitter did that and says its OK.

The parts supplier the fitter used says the new replacement parts do
not have a long lifetime - but 3 months?

Anybody got any ideas?

It might be there is a small leak from the exchnager which is
dripping onto this plate causing the corrosion. I know of many Netaheat
installations and they are not chomping though earthing plates.

Also it might be that it is getting unduly heated by a misplaced flame
(eg. crud or dmamge to pilot or main burner nearby.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Michael Burrows

Thanks for all your help.

The pilot flame plays on the earthing plate: is this right?

How much space above the fire to the register plate? Kalico UK diy 1 December 17th 03 09:44 AM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 10:57 PM
Potterton Netaheat...revisited Dave Ramage UK diy 5 October 28th 03 12:01 PM
Potterton Netaheat flame goes out... Dave Ramage UK diy 19 October 21st 03 04:30 PM
Potterton netaheat Mk IIF 10-16 derek UK diy 10 August 17th 03 12:14 AM