Kalico

Default How much space above the fire to the register plate?

I have a chimney breast that has been knocked out and a steel RSJ inserted
to hold up. Acutally, I discovered the RSJ when I knocked out the rest of
the breast/fireplace. It sits just below the original soldier-arch.

I intend to place a small wood-burner under and take the flue from the stove
through a register plate etc. The usual format.

What I need some thoughts on is where to put the register plate. I can put
it below the RSJ (resting on the top of a decorative oak lintel) and then
back-fill through the small soot box I have installed in the face of the
breast.

Or, I can put the register plate much higher up (akin to inside) in the
brick flue/breast. This will significantly reduce the amount of back-fill
(if any) but will mean that there will be a considerable void above the
stove, before the register plate. My main concern with doing this is that
the void could get a heat build up, which would then warm the RSJ too much,
causing unacceptable expansion. There will still be the decorative oak
lintel below the RSJ though.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of scenario? I have done a
few similar arrangements before, but never where an RSJ lintel has been
present. Normally, I have made use of the soldier arch or made the oak
lintel load bearing.

Thanks for any pointers/thoughts.
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

The Natural Philosopher

Kalico wrote:

[...]

Yes. Almost exactly the same, except it was a new build, and teh soddng
builder biutl the steel backed oak beam lintel so low we could barely
get the stove IN and it HAS to have th register plate up much higher han
the lintel.

In practice, the hot air collects at the top, yes, but spills out very
quickly. There is no problem with the steel expanding over such a short
run anyway.

I'd say do it to your taste and don't worry.

I have done a
few similar arrangements before, but never where an RSJ lintel has been
present. Normally, I have made use of the soldier arch or made the oak
lintel load bearing.

Thanks for any pointers/thoughts.
Rob

Advice on living flame gas fire Stuart UK diy 11 December 2nd 03 11:47 AM
gas fire selection twolefthands UK diy 0 November 24th 03 08:12 PM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM
No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM
Berry Magicoal Berryblaze gas fire Dave UK diy 4 July 6th 03 01:25 AM