Simon

Default How to stop plants from being vandalised

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Dave Jones

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

fred

In article , Dave Jones
writes

"Simon" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

Chain link so the hedge will get the light.
--
fred
Andrew Mawson

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Dave Jones
writes

"Simon" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in

my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only

thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the

tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily

thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think

twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

Chain link so the hedge will get the light.
--
fred

Thread barbed wire up the centre of the plant - they'll only grab and
pull one out !

Mary Fisher

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Mary

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Simon wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Dog Poo ?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
dave @ stejonda

In message , "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk" writes
Simon wrote:
I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

Snapping the tops off will of course help the hedge to bush out.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily
thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Dog Poo ?

Actually that's a rather good idea - it could easily have appeared there
without the Op placing it there deliberately and it will biodegrade in
time.

--
dave @ stejonda

UCE Spammer : : Bots please harvest

John Rumm

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

Dog Poo ?

I now have a mental picture of someone using a small canine rather like
a chefs piping bag.... ;-)

OK Fido, one more squeeze....

--
Cheers,

John.

Simon

Hehe any one got any little dogs that have loose bowels? I'd like to
rent one for a few days!

What about some type of grease? That's more the thing I was thinking
of!!! But dog poo is an inventive solution!

brugnospamsia

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Dave Jones
writes

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

..... or add in some prickly plants - as recommended by the boys in blue :-

http://www.northants.police.uk/defau...rticle&ID=2036

.... or maybe the odd nettle ... or for a delayed reaction several plant
species such as rue and sumach can bring some people out in a nasty rash

Mary Fisher

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Mary

I did say until!

Yes, but a fence is expensive, time consuming to install and will last far
longer than the privet hedge takes to grow.

We grew very prickly hedging: rosa rugosa, pyracantha, berberis, holly,
others I can't remember where we wanted to deter people. They're mostly not
evergreen and certainly not as neat as clipped privet but we don't like
clipping and that neatness isn't our style :-)

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:
Dog Poo ?

Actually that's a rather good idea - it could easily have appeared there
without the Op placing it there deliberately and it will biodegrade in
time.

If it's anything like fox p**s, it might well, but not before killing most
of the plants...

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
p00kie

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hehe any one got any little dogs that have loose bowels? I'd like to
rent one for a few days!

What about some type of grease? That's more the thing I was thinking
of!!! But dog poo is an inventive solution!

Vaseline .. that'll help with the poo ... put some dye in it too :-D

Andrew Sinclair

In message ,
brugnospamsia writes

.... or add in some prickly plants - as recommended by the boys in blue :-

http://www.northants.police.uk/defau...rticle&ID=2036

... or maybe the odd nettle ... or for a delayed reaction several plant
species such as rue and sumach can bring some people out in a nasty rash

Triffids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/triffids/

The little darlings will only do it once...
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org
Dave Jones

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

8x4 chipboard and length of CLS would get for £20, and a coat of paint if
required.

Or camera and visit to their parent would have done the trick 20 year ago,
nowadays probably come and pull them out themselves!

Or you could dig them up place in large pots and out of harms way until big
enough to replant.

Or have a word with local farmer and regularly place nice and fresh manure
along the bottom (smell should keep them away, might annoy the neighbours
tho!) or borrow his electric fencing!

Dave

Sue

In message .com,
Simon writes

What about some type of grease? That's more the thing I was thinking
of!!! But dog poo is an inventive solution!

Don't grease the leaves, they need to be able to breathe.
Grease on the stems is OK.

You could dead-hedge between/around your plants while they grow, maybe
with pea sticks and grow sweet peas or canary creeper up them the first
year.

--
Sue ]
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Ah but if he wants a hedge, he might first need a fence ...

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Ah but if he wants a hedge, he might first need a fence ...

He already has the hedge ... :-)

Mary

--
geoff

Mike

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Sign saying the plant is highly toxic and anybody touching it with bare
hands will suffer an agonising death ?

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Sign saying the plant is highly toxic and anybody touching it with bare
hands will suffer an agonising death ?

You're assuming that the miscreants can read.

Mary

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Sign saying the plant is highly toxic and anybody touching it with bare
hands will suffer an agonising death ?

You're assuming that the miscreants can read.

Ah. True. Oh well :-(

Owain

Mike wrote:
Sign saying the plant is highly toxic and anybody touching it with bare
hands will suffer an agonising death ?

The neds will only start smoking the leaves for a 'high' and then get
their lawyers to sue you when anything/nothing happens.

If you put a notice up saying "Healthy Fresh Salad Leaves - Please Pick
Your Own" the plants will be left well alone, as (a) neds are allergic
to anything fresher than a kebab (b) as you're inviting them to touch
the plant the excitement of doing something prohibited is lost.

Owain

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Ah but if he wants a hedge, he might first need a fence ...

He already has the hedge ... :-)

No he has, according to his post, some defoliated twigs

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

defoliated

Ooh! There's poshh!!

Mary

safety question - many short cut-offs using a stop igor Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 02:17 AM
noisy plumbing and no stop cock! Micko UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:27 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM