Dave Jones

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only
thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think
twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Mary

I did say until!

Yes, but a fence is expensive, time consuming to install and will last
far longer than the privet hedge takes to grow.

We grew very prickly hedging: rosa rugosa, pyracantha, berberis, holly,
others I can't remember where we wanted to deter people. They're mostly
not evergreen and certainly not as neat as clipped privet but we don't
like clipping and that neatness isn't our style :-)

Mary

8x4 chipboard and length of CLS would get for £20, and a coat of paint if
required.

Or camera and visit to their parent would have done the trick 20 year ago,
nowadays probably come and pull them out themselves!

Or you could dig them up place in large pots and out of harms way until big
enough to replant.

Or have a word with local farmer and regularly place nice and fresh manure
along the bottom (smell should keep them away, might annoy the neighbours
tho!) or borrow his electric fencing!

Dave