Mary Fisher

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice- I'm trying to grow a privet hedge in my
front garden and recently planted 12 part grown shrubs - the only thing
is, the kids seem to want to pull at these hedges and snap the tops
off.

I know in time it will grow eventually - but is there some oily thing I
can safely coat the stem and leaves that will make the kids think twice
next time they try?

Thanks!

Put a fence in front until they have grown

If he wanted a fence he wouldn't be growing a hedge ...

Mary

I did say until!

Yes, but a fence is expensive, time consuming to install and will last far
longer than the privet hedge takes to grow.

We grew very prickly hedging: rosa rugosa, pyracantha, berberis, holly,
others I can't remember where we wanted to deter people. They're mostly not
evergreen and certainly not as neat as clipped privet but we don't like
clipping and that neatness isn't our style :-)

Mary