Martin Pentreath

Default Installing condensing tumble dryer

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).
Harry Bloomfield

Martin Pentreath explained :
Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Usually they can share the same outlet, but it depends upon each
appliances output volume. The condensing dryers output will usually be
much less than that of a washer on its drain cycle.

You used to be able to get screw on 'Y' connectors for the cold feed,
but a proper separate feed is not that difficult to add.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Peter

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Martin Pentreath explained :
Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Usually they can share the same outlet, but it depends upon each
appliances output volume. The condensing dryers output will usually be
much less than that of a washer on its drain cycle.

You used to be able to get screw on 'Y' connectors for the cold feed,
but a proper separate feed is not that difficult to add.

--

Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Harry Bloomfield

Peter wrote :
Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Ours does....

Others must use a chiller system then, but that sounds an expensive
option.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Tim S

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:53:27 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Peter wrote :
Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Ours does....

Others must use a chiller system then, but that sounds an expensive
option.

No, just room temperature air. Ours is a Bosch condensing dryer, but
it drains into a removable tank so doesn't need anything other than
electricity.

Cheers

Tim
Christian McArdle

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Just a 13A socket is actually required.

Most (usually those with the condensate drawer at the top) will also use a
drain outlet as an option. You may get the bits included for this, or may
need to buy an expensive manufacturer option pack.

The drain outlet required will be of the same type used by a washing
machine. They can either take a standpipe, or a spigot on an existing trap
(i.e. under sink). You could cheat like me and squeeze the pipe into the
washing machine standpipe, though. ;-P

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

Christian.

Nick Atty

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:39:03 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

So better quality washer driers make their own washing water by
condensing then? (sorry)
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Ian_m

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

Not really, don't use that much water and certainly use much less electricty
than just plain condensing tumble driers.

Christian McArdle

Not really, don't use that much water and certainly use much less
electricty
than just plain condensing tumble driers.

The water usage on some models is absolutely criminal. To dry 5kg expect
around 100 litres of water.

Christian.

Tumble Dryer Marsha UK diy 15 February 17th 05 02:00 PM
Candy Double quick 1500 Tumble Dryer Andy UK diy 2 January 10th 05 04:43 PM
Hotpoint tumble dryer smells! Bob Eager UK diy 5 November 30th 04 04:43 PM
Quilt cover in tumble dryer Thomas Home Ownership 2 November 27th 04 03:05 PM
Cost of using a tumble dryer DavyW UK diy 10 October 29th 04 09:27 AM