DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing condensing tumble dryer (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/94782-installing-condensing-tumble-dryer.html)

Martin Pentreath March 11th 05 11:26 PM

Installing condensing tumble dryer

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Harry Bloomfield March 12th 05 03:33 PM

Martin Pentreath explained :
Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Usually they can share the same outlet, but it depends upon each
appliances output volume. The condensing dryers output will usually be
much less than that of a washer on its drain cycle.

You used to be able to get screw on 'Y' connectors for the cold feed,
but a proper separate feed is not that difficult to add.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Peter March 12th 05 07:12 PM

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Martin Pentreath explained :
Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Usually they can share the same outlet, but it depends upon each
appliances output volume. The condensing dryers output will usually be
much less than that of a washer on its drain cycle.

You used to be able to get screw on 'Y' connectors for the cold feed,
but a proper separate feed is not that difficult to add.

--

Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Harry Bloomfield March 12th 05 07:53 PM

Peter wrote :
Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Ours does....

Others must use a chiller system then, but that sounds an expensive
option.

Peter Parry March 12th 05 11:11 PM

On 11 Mar 2005 15:26:34 -0800, (Martin
Pentreath) wrote:

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need?

Good ventilation - even the best emit quite a lot of water vapour to
the room and many throw out more than a litre a load into the
atmosphere.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Tim S March 14th 05 09:34 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:53:27 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Peter wrote :
Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Ours does....

Others must use a chiller system then, but that sounds an expensive
option.

No, just room temperature air. Ours is a Bosch condensing dryer, but
it drains into a removable tank so doesn't need anything other than
electricity.

Cheers

Tim

Christian McArdle March 15th 05 05:39 PM

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room
ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water
feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with
u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing
machine?).

Just a 13A socket is actually required.

Most (usually those with the condensate drawer at the top) will also use a
drain outlet as an option. You may get the bits included for this, or may
need to buy an expensive manufacturer option pack.

The drain outlet required will be of the same type used by a washing
machine. They can either take a standpipe, or a spigot on an existing trap
(i.e. under sink). You could cheat like me and squeeze the pipe into the
washing machine standpipe, though. ;-P

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

Christian.

Nick Atty March 15th 05 06:20 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:39:03 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

So better quality washer driers make their own washing water by
condensing then? (sorry)
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

Ian_m March 16th 05 12:34 PM

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is
an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

Not really, don't use that much water and certainly use much less electricty
than just plain condensing tumble driers.

Christian McArdle March 16th 05 01:16 PM

Not really, don't use that much water and certainly use much less
electricty
than just plain condensing tumble driers.

The water usage on some models is absolutely criminal. To dry 5kg expect
around 100 litres of water.

Christian.