Chris

Default Running hifi cables across a concrete floor

Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to
show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

Cheers,

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:

Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to
show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

Done that, and also chipped out a channel with a cold chisel and let
some speaker, antenna and mains cables into the floor itself. Not that
hard in screed.

Filled it up with mortar and ...there ya go!

Cheers,

Chris

tony sayer

In article , Chris
writes
Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to
show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, but you'll have to soak your underlay in snake oil that has been
done in a polarised magnetic field to make sure the electrons are
refreshed with every cycle, but if you can cope with that then yes

or you could try a posting to uk.rec.audio where you'll be told much
worse)
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Chris wrote:

Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to
show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

Done that, and also chipped out a channel with a cold chisel and let
some speaker, antenna and mains cables into the floor itself. Not that
hard in screed.

Filled it up with mortar and ...there ya go!

What!, shame on U Nat P not putting a duct in and allowing for further
expansion!....

--
Tony Sayer

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Chris wrote:
Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I've got coax cables crossing a bay window by going up behind the
(floor-length) curtain, across behind the pelmet, and down behind the
other curtain. Initially it sounds horrible, which is perhaps why it
didn't occur to me for ages. But actually it works very well - if you've
got the right sort of curtains, of course.

--
Mike Barnes

Ian_m

"Chris" wrote in
message ...
Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables (speaker
cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete floor? The
cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or possibly at the
edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way so I can't use
channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I can't easily take
them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to show,
and are there any alternatives I've missed?

I just laid flat speaker cable under the underlay in my front room for the
surround sound rears.. Passes under the doorway near the gripper and hasn't
shown yet despite all the traffic. In my last house I just ran cables (79
strand) ether side of the carpet gripper, works fine.

One hint get, a carpet "kicker" (about £30 from Machine Mart I think) makes
putting the fitted carpet back much much easier.

The Natural Philosopher

tony sayer wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Chris wrote:

[...]

Mmm. It may all be for nothing anyway, since from design to What She
Wats will probably neccessitate two more repositionings of the telly and
speakers anyway.

Thank heaven for stud walls.
Michael Chare

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi there

Just wondering if there is any easy way of running 'hifi' cables
(speaker cables, cat5 and RG58 coax) across a carpet covered concrete
floor? The cables are in a 'low traffic' area, near the edge (or
possibly at the edge) of the carpet. There is a mantle piece in the way
so I can't use channelled skirting board, and a window in the way so I
can't easily take them up into the ceiling space and back down.

I was thinking of cutting a 2 to 3 cm wide strip out of the underlay to
run the cables along. Does this sound reasonable, or is it likely to
show, and are there any alternatives I've missed?

I've done this and it has not shown, but it perhaps depends on thickness of
carpet and the extent of any traffic.

--

Michael Chare

Chris

tony sayer wrote:

Yes, but you'll have to soak your underlay in snake oil that has been
done in a polarised magnetic field to make sure the electrons are
refreshed with every cycle, but if you can cope with that then yes

or you could try a posting to uk.rec.audio where you'll be told much
worse)

LOL. I've seen some of the posts to uk.rec.audio whilst searching google
groups, so I think I'll give it a miss. I have heard though that it is a
good idea to paint the concrete with a paint dosed with carbon to create
a decent screen, so I'm just off to grate a car body kit into a can of
dulux.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply
Chris

Thanks everyone for your responses. Once I've finished making the TV
rack I'll yank up the carpet and have a play.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Cut along the dotted line to reply

Bob Eager

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:16:11 UTC, Chris
wrote:

tony sayer wrote:

Yes, but you'll have to soak your underlay in snake oil that has been
done in a polarised magnetic field to make sure the electrons are
refreshed with every cycle, but if you can cope with that then yes

or you could try a posting to uk.rec.audio where you'll be told much
worse)

LOL. I've seen some of the posts to uk.rec.audio whilst searching google
groups, so I think I'll give it a miss. I have heard though that it is a
good idea to paint the concrete with a paint dosed with carbon to create
a decent screen, so I'm just off to grate a car body kit into a can of
dulux.

Make sure to seal the cavity to keep it oxygen-free! :-)

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Straw Bales as Concrete Void Form for Garage Floor Wpg Man Home Repair 18 June 12th 21 08:25 PM
Update on wood floor over concrete base Mat and Suzy Home Repair 1 March 1st 04 02:10 AM
Basement concrete floor Ed Kaz Home Repair 5 November 4th 03 02:37 AM
concrete floor cuckoo flower UK diy 6 July 24th 03 08:44 PM
latex screed on concrete floor Ian Johnson UK diy 0 July 9th 03 05:32 PM