Mat and Suzy

Default Update on wood floor over concrete base

Here was my original post of a few days ago:
-------------
I need to lay a plywood sub-floor (ready for engineered hardwood to go on
top) over a concrete floor in my first floor family room. What is the best
way to fix it to concrete? I have never done anything like this before, but
I understand there are nails that will drive themselves down into
concrete....is that right? Are they easy to use?

Would this method be better than some kind of thinset/mortar etc?
--------------
UPDATE
Some kind souls on the group gave me some ideas about nailing/gluing plywood
onto concrete or using sleepers. Well, I went to Menards today and they
showed me some purpose made 2' square boards cut with tongue and groove,
with a plastic base. The base has small feet which keep the wood approx
1/8 off the concrete.

This seems to be the perfect solution. Easy to install (it just sits on top
apparently, though I might glue a small number on to give it some added
rigidity) with tongue and groove and no glue required, plus the base gives
you protection from damp.

Anyone else tried this? I am pleased so far (taken me an hour to do around
1/3 of a 12x18 room). It is more expensive than plywood, but, according to
my back-of-a-napkin calculations in-store, only about 20% more. And I got
it all in the Jeep!

Mat

AJScott

In article ,
"Mat and Suzy" wrote:

[...]

You're referring to DriCore panels. I just put in about 500 sqft worth
of them in my poured-concrete basement a few months ago and laid some
cheapie laminate flooring over it. I'm quite happy with them (floor's a
lot warmer), and for us with our chronically seepy basement (which I'm
sure will become chronically seepy again someday oneday in the future
despite some waterproofing measures, they were pretty much the *only*
solution that provided the best protection against future mold and rot.
Plus, they'll let any seepage run straight to the floor drains; laying
studs to nail plywood to would just trap any seep water, and the studs
would eventually mold and rot as well. Might take 20 years to happen to
PT studs, of course, but it'd still happen.

I've still got another 500 sqft to cover in the second phase of the
basement renovation, and I'll be using them there, too.

AJS

### micro-FAQ on wood # 014 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 July 10th 04 02:38 PM
### Micro-FAQ on Wood # 003 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 4 February 24th 04 11:30 AM
(old) wood floor vs concrete Jason Wagner Home Repair 2 January 14th 04 03:34 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 08:15 AM
Spindle-turning Long, Thin Wood: Update... Ali T. Borahan Woodturning 13 August 14th 03 02:31 AM