Stuart

Default Well Done Screwfix...No So Curzoncare

Ordered some plumbing items from Screwfix yesterday afternoon and they
arrived this morning ..all items that I ordered ...Well done to
them...Credit where credit is due ..

Cant really say the same for www.curzoncare.co.uk....I was looking for
some parts for my Potterton Kingfisher CF60 bolier on Sunday afternoon
and via the Interspares website I located Curzoncare ...I ordered the
required parts on their website and paid for them and all went
smoothly except for the M5 x 10mm screws that I needed ...The
Potterton list on the Interspares website had them listed as
" 633926 4 Screw M5 x 10mm lg. pozidrive "
but the Curzon picking list had this item shown as "1" so it wasn't
clear if it was 1 of 1 or 1 of 4 ... The item was priced as £1.43 plus
vat and I ordered 1 but put a note to say if it WAS only 1
I was getting for my £1.43 plus vat to amend the order as I would get
them elsewhere ......I got the confirmation e-mails to say the order
was OK but if there was a problem with it to contact a Carla Moss at
Baxi ....odd when the order was placed with Curzon........On Monday I
phoned an 0870 number on Curzon's site to see when delivery was likely
so I would know whether to go out or not and got redirected to a local
branch who knew ,obviously,nothing about the order and could not give
me a tel number I could call as they werent allowed to give it out and
said that this Carla Moss was some Financial Controller ( like she
would eal with web orders ...lol) ...The call to a place about three
miles away cost me about 40 p...

Anyway the order arrived this morning ....In the order was 1 screw at
£1.43 plus vat ....I telephoned the 0870 number ( prefixing with 141
to avoid the reroute) and the guy gave me number of the branch the
order had come from and to his credit the guy who answered there was
helpful and said he would credit the amount for the screw to my card
Apart from the fact that they make it so difficult to contact them why
do so many companies use these 0870 numbers and as for the cost of ONE
screw ...Aaaaarrrggghhh.!!!!!

Sorry fo the rant
Stuart
Lobster

Stuart wrote:
Anyway the order arrived this morning ....In the order was 1 screw at
£1.43 plus vat ....I telephoned the 0870 number ( prefixing with 141
to avoid the reroute) and the guy gave me number of the branch the

What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

Apart from the fact that they make it so difficult to contact them why
do so many companies use these 0870 numbers and as for the cost of ONE
screw ...Aaaaarrrggghhh.!!!!!

Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/ next time! Worth bookmarking that site.

It's a similar story with freefone numbers on mobiles which have
inclusive-minute tarrifs. Eg, phone Screwfix by mobile on the regular
'free-from-landlines' 0500 414141 number and you get charged regardless
of your zillion spare carried-over minutes; however you can also phone
them on 01935 414141 without the extra charge.

David
Stuart

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:33:25 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
Anyway the order arrived this morning ....In the order was 1 screw at
£1.43 plus vat ....I telephoned the 0870 number ( prefixing with 141
to avoid the reroute) and the guy gave me number of the branch the

What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

The contact number for curzoncare.co.uk is an 0870 number and
presumably diverts your call to the branch nearest to you based on
your area code ...Thats why I got put thru to the Glasgow branch
yesterday as thats where I stay ....If you put 141 in front of the
number it wont know the area code so I was thinking my call would go
to a head office somewhere ...

Apart from the fact that they make it so difficult to contact them why
do so many companies use these 0870 numbers and as for the cost of ONE
screw ...Aaaaarrrggghhh.!!!!!

Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/ next time! Worth bookmarking that site.

Yeah...thx for that

Stuart

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:33:25 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
Anyway the order arrived this morning ....In the order was 1 screw at
£1.43 plus vat ....I telephoned the 0870 number ( prefixing with 141
to avoid the reroute) and the guy gave me number of the branch the

What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

Aha. Never thought of doing that. If you suppress caller ID, the 0870
system can't route the call to your local branch because it doesn't know
where you are.

Clever. I'll remember that!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Owain

Bob Eager wrote:
Lobster wrote:
What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

Aha. Never thought of doing that. If you suppress caller ID, the 0870
system can't route the call to your local branch because it doesn't know
where you are.

141 does not suppress caller ID. It flags the caller ID as 'withheld'
and the terminating telco does not pass the caller ID to the customer.
However anyone with access to the call at telco level, including most if
not all 0870 operators, will still see the caller ID as the call passes
through the system.

Owain

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:59:41 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
Lobster wrote:
What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

Aha. Never thought of doing that. If you suppress caller ID, the 0870
system can't route the call to your local branch because it doesn't know
where you are.

141 does not suppress caller ID. It flags the caller ID as 'withheld'
and the terminating telco does not pass the caller ID to the customer.

Yes, I realise that.

However anyone with access to the call at telco level, including most if
not all 0870 operators, will still see the caller ID as the call passes
through the system.

Of course. I guess they are not set up to (or are not allowed to) make
use of it, though. Well, that's what the empirical evidence (one
sample!) suggests. Guess it may not be universal, but a trick worth
trying.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Stuart

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:33:25 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

snipped

Apart from the fact that they make it so difficult to contact them why
do so many companies use these 0870 numbers and as for the cost of ONE
screw ...Aaaaarrrggghhh.!!!!!

Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/ next time! Worth bookmarking that site.

It's a similar story with freefone numbers on mobiles which have
inclusive-minute tarrifs. Eg, phone Screwfix by mobile on the regular
'free-from-landlines' 0500 414141 number and you get charged regardless
of your zillion spare carried-over minutes; however you can also phone
them on 01935 414141 without the extra charge.

David

Working Lunch featured this very issue today ...suggested a cost of 8p
per min for an 0870 number split 1p to BT Wholesale.2.5p to the
company you call and 4.5p to the terminating .telco .....unfortunately
I came in near the end of the item but the website was mentioned ...

Stuart
Bob Eager

wrote:

It's a similar story with freefone numbers on mobiles which have
inclusive-minute tarrifs. Eg, phone Screwfix by mobile on the regular
'free-from-landlines' 0500 414141 number and you get charged regardless
of your zillion spare carried-over minutes; however you can also phone
them on 01935 414141 without the extra charge.

Depends on the phone contract. I get free calls to 0500/0800 anyway. And
inclusive minutes!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Lobster

wrote:

It's a similar story with freefone numbers on mobiles which have
inclusive-minute tarrifs. Eg, phone Screwfix by mobile on the regular
'free-from-landlines' 0500 414141 number and you get charged regardless
of your zillion spare carried-over minutes; however you can also phone
them on 01935 414141 without the extra charge.

Depends on the phone contract. I get free calls to 0500/0800 anyway. And
inclusive minutes!

Which network/tarriff, out of interest?
Cheers
David

Bob Eager

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:53:18 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Depends on the phone contract. I get free calls to 0500/0800 anyway. And
inclusive minutes!

Which network/tarriff, out of interest?

Orange contract, Talk something....!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Peter Scott

wrote:

Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/ next time! Worth bookmarking that site.

True magic. I had a real go at Comet because they wanted me to pay national
rate to make a local call to a branch. Even got a phone call from the CEO's
PA. "Sorry. We're looking at it. Will I still be a customer?" *No*

This site is gold dust. No luck on police stations nor HSBC though!

Peter Scott

Screwfix + Lynx = A change in service contract (at last) [email protected] UK diy 9 December 17th 04 01:00 AM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix foam gun problems! Steve North UK diy 1 September 23rd 03 03:37 PM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM