jacob

Default More shower tray probs

Have finally got hold of a shower tray (1200x800 cast resin/stone ).
It says that it absolutely must be laid on thin dry mortar bed 5mm min
supporting the whole thing and the edge.
Sounds reasonable but in fact this is virtually impossible to achieve.
It's very heavy and impossible to manouevre to sit close between three
walls and to fiddle about with mortar etc to get it perfectly level.
At best one could drop it in place but any adjustments after that
would be impossible whilst retaining a perfect mortar bed. Hardest at
the edges where the rim is only 12mm wide - and the centre panel part
isn't flat as it has a tilt for drainage.
Part of the prob is that if I attempt to move it I'll get mortar on my
hands etc and scratch the surface. There isn't much to hold on to once
it's down.
Any suggestions?
I'm beginning to think I should have bought one of those expensive
ceramic ones with an adjustable foot at each corner.

cheers

Jacob
Dave

jacob wrote:
[...]

A while ago someone suggested putting a couple of wooden strips down,
then mortaring between them, resting the tray on the strips then sliding
the strips out - it worked well for me on a 900x900. Obviously there's
no mortar where the strips were but if this is against the side walls
it's probably reasonable to assume that this bit won't get jumped on.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Lobster

Dave wrote:
jacob wrote:

Have finally got hold of a shower tray (1200x800 cast resin/stone ).
It says that it absolutely must be laid on thin dry mortar bed 5mm min
supporting the whole thing and the edge.
Sounds reasonable but in fact this is virtually impossible to achieve.
It's very heavy and impossible to manouevre to sit close between three
walls and to fiddle about with mortar etc to get it perfectly level.

Having noticed in your earlier posts that you were dealing with an
alcove installation, I wondered if you'd come back with that problem,
but I thought you were using one with adjustable feet in the corner?!

I'm beginning to think I should have bought one of those expensive
ceramic ones with an adjustable foot at each corner.

Well...

A while ago someone suggested putting a couple of wooden strips down,
then mortaring between them, resting the tray on the strips then sliding
the strips out - it worked well for me on a 900x900. Obviously there's
no mortar where the strips were but if this is against the side walls
it's probably reasonable to assume that this bit won't get jumped on.

Yes I asked the same question as Jacob here a few months ago, and this
was the answer I got. Have a google for more details on the technique.

It certainly worked like a dream, with a perfect installation and no
spinal damage! I used three wooden slats IIRC, but instead of placing
the outer ones flush with the wall, I positioned them about 3-4 inches
in, as I felt it was important that mortar went right up to the edges to
support the rim, as that's where any leaks will occurr and you really
don't want any sagging. Also, these trays have a hollow, unsupported
area all the way round near the sides, which IMHO makes it all the more
important to ensure the actual edges are fully supported.

David
jacob

Lobster wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
jacob wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. Infact after hours of concentrated thought and a
couple of stiff drinks I came up with the same answer! I thought
perhaps 3 pieces about 18mm square. When removed the mortar would
slump a bit but hopefully it would be even all round. If not then tuff
titty it'll have to stay there - if it doesn't drain properly I'll
just have to flannel it out.

cheers

Jacob
Lobster

jacob wrote:

Thanks for that. Infact after hours of concentrated thought and a
couple of stiff drinks I came up with the same answer! I thought
perhaps 3 pieces about 18mm square. When removed the mortar would
slump a bit but hopefully it would be even all round. If not then tuff
titty it'll have to stay there - if it doesn't drain properly I'll
just have to flannel it out.

Yes those sound the same size battens I used. The mortar mix wants to
be really pretty dry, so that should stop any slump. The mortar bed
should be level anyway (courtesy of the pre-prepared, level baseboard
you prepared earlier!) before you lay down the shower; when you slide
out the battens afterwards you just want to wiggle the tray ever so
slightly to and fro, left and right to ensure it's properly bedded in.

David

Dave

jacob wrote:
.... snipped

Thanks for that. Infact after hours of concentrated thought and a
couple of stiff drinks I came up with the same answer! I thought
perhaps 3 pieces about 18mm square. When removed the mortar would
slump a bit but hopefully it would be even all round. If not then tuff
titty it'll have to stay there - if it doesn't drain properly I'll
just have to flannel it out.

cheers

Jacob

If you use more like 18x6's (or whateve door stop battens are) you can
level the mortar to the top of the battens and guarantee a good level
bed. When the tray was on the mortar I just jiggled it a little to make
the spirit level happy.
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Charlie

Dave wrote:
jacob wrote:
... snipped
If you use more like 18x6's ...
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)

Which way round? Vertical or horizontal?

Like | or like - ?

Cheers

Charlie

[news]

jacob wrote:
[...]

and that is exactly what I've decided

zero buggering about :-)

RT

Dave

Charlie wrote:
Dave wrote:

jacob wrote:
... snipped
If you use more like 18x6's ...
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)

Which way round? Vertical or horizontal?

Like | or like - ?

Cheers

Charlie

How thick do you want your mortar? I just looked at mine again - nearer
to 10mm than 6mm.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)

Whats the best way to fit shower tray Derek Doormer UK diy 7 December 22nd 04 01:31 PM
tiled shower tray william UK diy 19 July 28th 04 09:03 AM
Shower tray replacement James Fidell UK diy 2 April 29th 04 11:25 PM
Shower tray - advice on selection Lobster UK diy 5 January 9th 04 03:40 PM
Help bedding in a shower tray Martin UK diy 1 January 6th 04 02:31 AM