Dave

jacob wrote:
.... snipped

Thanks for that. Infact after hours of concentrated thought and a
couple of stiff drinks I came up with the same answer! I thought
perhaps 3 pieces about 18mm square. When removed the mortar would
slump a bit but hopefully it would be even all round. If not then tuff
titty it'll have to stay there - if it doesn't drain properly I'll
just have to flannel it out.

cheers

Jacob

If you use more like 18x6's (or whateve door stop battens are) you can
level the mortar to the top of the battens and guarantee a good level
bed. When the tray was on the mortar I just jiggled it a little to make
the spirit level happy.
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)