Martin

Default Help bedding in a shower tray

I have just bought a resin stone shower tray (very heavy) and was
wondering how I should go about bedding it in. So far I have complied
with the manufactures instructions (3/4" exterior ply screwed directly
to the joists and plaster cut back to brick around the tray so that
the tiles overhang the tray).

To accurately level the tray I am considering setting small blobs of
mortar mix in the corners and adjusting them to the correct height for
a level tray, then filling the remaining area with mortar slightly
above the blobs and pressing the tray onto it until it presses firmly
onto the set blobs giving me a level tray. Does anyone see any
problems with this method or know of a better one. Lifting the tray
into position is another problem to overcome.

Also the manufacture suggests using a sand cement mix, silly question
but I assume this should be a wet mix not dry. I've read postings in
this news group suggesting silicon as a screed, is silicon not that
white flexible stuff for sealing baths (i.e. too flexible it would
have no affect in supporting the tray and the tray would wobble
about.) Please help and convince me that the silicon referred to is
not the stuff I think it is.

|-Plaster Wall

_|
-Brick Wall
============================|
Tray |
____________________________|__
_____3/4"_Ply__________________

Thanks in advance Martin.
Rick Hughes

"Martin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The pukka way to do this is to bed it down on a 5mm ish layer of 4:1
semidry mix.

This gives full support, and unlike Silicone will not invalidate your
warranty. I have recently installed some Just-Trays shower trays (resin
stone cast) and they specifically state not to use Silicone.

Rick