Rick Hughes

Default Help bedding in a shower tray

"Martin" wrote in message
om...
I have just bought a resin stone shower tray (very heavy) and was
wondering how I should go about bedding it in. So far I have complied
with the manufactures instructions (3/4" exterior ply screwed directly
to the joists and plaster cut back to brick around the tray so that
the tiles overhang the tray).

To accurately level the tray I am considering setting small blobs of
mortar mix in the corners and adjusting them to the correct height for
a level tray, then filling the remaining area with mortar slightly
above the blobs and pressing the tray onto it until it presses firmly
onto the set blobs giving me a level tray. Does anyone see any
problems with this method or know of a better one. Lifting the tray
into position is another problem to overcome.

Also the manufacture suggests using a sand cement mix, silly question
but I assume this should be a wet mix not dry.

The pukka way to do this is to bed it down on a 5mm ish layer of 4:1
semidry mix.

This gives full support, and unlike Silicone will not invalidate your
warranty. I have recently installed some Just-Trays shower trays (resin
stone cast) and they specifically state not to use Silicone.

Rick