Mike Barnard (at work)

Default Refill a 24v rechargable drill battery?

Hi all.

On behalf of a friend...

He has several 24v SDS drill batteries that no longer hold a
reasonable charge. They're for a Bosch but also fit "Spit?" (Never
heard of 'em) drills too aparently.

The bodies of these battery cases are held together with screws so it
looks as if it should be easy to replace the actual nicad batteries
inside. But where to get GOOD replacement batteries that won't cost
the earth? Untill he opens one I won't know exactly what's inside but
maybe someone here has already done this for themselves.

Any hints or pointers gratefully recieved.

G'night folks.

Lurch

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:10:08 +0000, "Mike Barnard (at work)"
strung together this:

Hi all.

On behalf of a friend...

He has several 24v SDS drill batteries that no longer hold a
reasonable charge. They're for a Bosch but also fit "Spit?" (Never
heard of 'em) drills too aparently.

Yep, Spit. Orange Bosch drills basically, replicas if you like.

http://www.recell.co.uk
--

SJW
Bill

In message , "Mike Barnard
(at work)" writes
Hi all.

On behalf of a friend...

He has several 24v SDS drill batteries that no longer hold a
reasonable charge. They're for a Bosch but also fit "Spit?" (Never
heard of 'em) drills too aparently.

The bodies of these battery cases are held together with screws so it
looks as if it should be easy to replace the actual nicad batteries
inside. But where to get GOOD replacement batteries that won't cost
the earth? Untill he opens one I won't know exactly what's inside but
maybe someone here has already done this for themselves.

Any hints or pointers gratefully recieved.

G'night folks.

Http://www.strikalite.co.uk/

These guys have always sorted me out well so are probably worth a phone
call. They will either sell cells or do the refitting for you.
--
Bill
The Natural Philosopher

Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:10:08 +0000, "Mike Barnard (at work)"
strung together this:

Hi all.

On behalf of a friend...

He has several 24v SDS drill batteries that no longer hold a
reasonable charge. They're for a Bosch but also fit "Spit?" (Never
heard of 'em) drills too aparently.

Yep, Spit. Orange Bosch drills basically, replicas if you like.

The bodies of these battery cases are held together with screws so it
looks as if it should be easy to replace the actual nicad batteries
inside. But where to get GOOD replacement batteries that won't cost
the earth? Untill he opens one I won't know exactly what's inside but
maybe someone here has already done this for themselves.

Any hints or pointers gratefully recieved.

http://www.recell.co.uk

Or http://www.overlander.co.uk for cells to do it yourself.

Normal size in these tools are sub C and 1.2v per cell. Your charger
will be optimized for either NiMh ot NiCd. Don't change one for the other.
Mike Barnard (at work)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:10:08 +0000, "Mike Barnard (at work)"
wrote:

Thanks to all of you. Will explore all these sites once we've cracked
one opento see whats inside.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard (at work) wrote:
But where to get GOOD replacement batteries that won't cost
the earth? Untill he opens one I won't know exactly what's inside but
maybe someone here has already done this for themselves.

Last time I checked, CPC were the best value. The cells you need are
probably sub C tagged. However, you might find a new battery about the
same price - after all it's only a bit of plastic, other than the cells.
And it will have a warranty. The only type I'll usually re-cell is cheap
cordless, as decent batteries make a big difference to the performance.
But I'd expect Bosch to supply decent ones as standard.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike Barnard

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:47:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Last time I checked, CPC were the best value. The cells you need are

Hi.

I've googled for "CPC rechargeable batteries" and other variations and
not found anything. Would you pass on a link or contact number if you
have one please?

probably sub C tagged. However, you might find a new battery about the
same price - after all it's only a bit of plastic, other than the cells.
And it will have a warranty. The only type I'll usually re-cell is cheap
cordless, as decent batteries make a big difference to the performance.
But I'd expect Bosch to supply decent ones as standard.

Thanks for the info. Mates choice, but will look up all the data for
him.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:
Last time I checked, CPC were the best value. The cells you need are

Hi.

I've googled for "CPC rechargeable batteries" and other variations and
not found anything. Would you pass on a link or contact number if you
have one please?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

Or this one should take you one

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT01300&N=401

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Badger

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:

Last time I checked, CPC were the best value. The cells you need are

Hi.

I've googled for "CPC rechargeable batteries" and other variations and
not found anything. Would you pass on a link or contact number if you
have one please?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

Or this one should take you one

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT01300&N=401

If you have any contacts within a university theres extra discount
available due to their purchasing agreements...

Mike Barnard (at work)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:15:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Barnard wrote:
Last time I checked, CPC were the best value. The cells you need are

Hi.

I've googled for "CPC rechargeable batteries" and other variations and
not found anything. Would you pass on a link or contact number if you
have one please?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

Or this one should take you one

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT01300&N=401

Thanks. Complicated site tho'.

Mike Barnard (at work)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:05:01 GMT, Badger
wrote:

If you have any contacts within a university theres extra discount
available due to their purchasing agreements...

No such luck. Thanks anyway.

Mike Barnard (at work)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:19:36 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Mike

http://cpc.farnell.com/

Thanks.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Barnard (at work) wrote:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

Or this one should take you one

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT01300&N=401

Thanks. Complicated site tho'.

Yup - that's why I posted the second URL. :-)

Actually, Maplin own brand tagged sub C are pretty good too. So check out
their price.

Oh - if you ploughed through the CPC Ni-Cad pages, I think you'll find
they do a non OEM pack complete for your drill.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"Mike Barnard (at work)" wrote in message
Hi all.

On behalf of a friend...

He has several 24v SDS drill batteries that no longer hold a
reasonable charge. They're for a Bosch but also fit "Spit?" (Never
heard of 'em) drills too aparently.

The bodies of these battery cases are held together with screws so it
looks as if it should be easy to replace the actual nicad batteries
inside. But where to get GOOD replacement batteries that won't cost
the earth? Untill he opens one I won't know exactly what's inside but
maybe someone here has already done this for themselves.

Any hints or pointers gratefully recieved.

Find the size you need and look at CPC or RS. I've found both have good
lives even under heavy loads. Maplin's more expensive brand (not the
cheaper ones they also stock) are also good.