wb

Default Oil-fired CH Boiler won't fire

When due to comw on, there is the sound of the pressure jets working
but no ignition. Oil tank was low on fuel, so I disconnected flexible
fuel pipe at filter and stuck it into 5 gal container of 35 sec -
makes no difference. (It's in an outhouse!) Any ideas?

wb

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:59:40 +0000, wb
wrote:

When due to come on, there is the sound of the pressure jets working
but no ignition. Oil tank was low on fuel, so I disconnected flexible
fuel pipe at filter and stuck it into 5 gal container of 35 sec -
makes no difference. (It's in an outhouse!) Any ideas?

Just pulled the burner out a little; no fuel coming out the nozzle so
my first suspicions are air lock or blocked nozzle.
What's the best way to bleed and should I attempt to remove the nozzle
- there doesn't seem to be enough space for a socket wrench?
regards

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

When due to come on, there is the sound of the pressure jets working
but no ignition. Oil tank was low on fuel, so I disconnected flexible
fuel pipe at filter and stuck it into 5 gal container of 35 sec -
makes no difference. (It's in an outhouse!) Any ideas?

Just pulled the burner out a little; no fuel coming out the nozzle so
my first suspicions are air lock or blocked nozzle.
What's the best way to bleed and should I attempt to remove the nozzle
- there doesn't seem to be enough space for a socket wrench?
regards

Replace the nozzle. Every year on old burners that are sooting badly.

Also check the photocell for soot, and replace if suspect.

These are not expensive.

John

wrote:

When due to come on, there is the sound of the pressure jets working
but no ignition. Oil tank was low on fuel, so I disconnected flexible
fuel pipe at filter and stuck it into 5 gal container of 35 sec -
makes no difference. (It's in an outhouse!) Any ideas?

Just pulled the burner out a little; no fuel coming out the nozzle so
my first suspicions are air lock or blocked nozzle.
What's the best way to bleed and should I attempt to remove the nozzle
- there doesn't seem to be enough space for a socket wrench?
regards

Weve been down this road recently so I suggest you google for oil boiler.
Also please note 35 second fuel is significantly more trouble to ignite than
28 so a kerosine burner will most likely give you starting up trouble anyway
if you try to burn 35.
If you really can't get anywhere try us again but with some details of
boiler and burner

wb

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:24:15 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

"wb" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:59:40 +0000, wb
wrote:

snip

Just pulled the burner out a little; no fuel coming out the nozzle so
my first suspicions are air lock or blocked nozzle.
What's the best way to bleed and should I attempt to remove the nozzle
- there doesn't seem to be enough space for a socket wrench?
regards

Weve been down this road recently so I suggest you google for oil boiler.
Also please note 35 second fuel is significantly more trouble to ignite than
28 so a kerosine burner will most likely give you starting up trouble anyway
if you try to burn 35.
If you really can't get anywhere try us again but with some details of
boiler and burner

Hi John,
I've spent half the day googling with little success - I must be
asking the wrong questions.
I've taken the nozzle out and it doesn't seem to be the problem -
rather, the fuel pump seems to be blocked - plunger stuck. Have you
any experience of these? .This is a fairly old system (installed
about 30 -35 years ago; boiler casing says Thorn, motor says
Compton..?, fuel pump does not appear to have a makers name, though
there is a label with an arrow and S & R at either end.

Regards