Colin Docherty

Default Fan assisted heater on central heating

Hi Folks,

I have terrible trouble heating my sitting room, a combination of not enough
radiators and a open stair case.

The trouble is that I don't want to whack in a monster conventional
radiator which would take up all the room.

So I've seen these fan assisted convector radiators which I imagine work
a bit like the heater in the car, and they seem to be quite small for
their output.

Can anyone recommend these?
Any particular brand?
Anything I should look out for?
Any difficulty to install?
Do they really work?

I was also hoping that buying one of these might mean that the return pipe
might be a lot cooler on my central heating, and thus get better use out
of the condensing boiler I'm planning on getting installed.

cheers!
Colin.
Tim S

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:04:36 +0000, Colin Docherty wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have terrible trouble heating my sitting room, a combination of not enough
radiators and a open stair case.

The trouble is that I don't want to whack in a monster conventional
radiator which would take up all the room.

So I've seen these fan assisted convector radiators which I imagine work
a bit like the heater in the car, and they seem to be quite small for
their output.

Can anyone recommend these?
Any particular brand?
Anything I should look out for?
Any difficulty to install?
Do they really work?

I was also hoping that buying one of these might mean that the return pipe
might be a lot cooler on my central heating, and thus get better use out
of the condensing boiler I'm planning on getting installed.

I've been looking at the Myson range. Seem OK on paper. People here have
said they do run quiet as long as you size them so you don't need to run
the fan in boost mode.

Plumbing is just a case of drop in place of the radiator, provided that
the pipes are capable of providing enough hot water (pertinent if you're
putting a device with higher output in place of the current rad).

You will need a mains supply via a room thermostat in all likelihood
(certainly the "Kickspace" models don't have a thermostat built in).

HTH

Tim
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend these?

Yes, I have one and shall be buying another when I get round to it.

Any particular brand?

Myson. Products are Kickspace, Hiline and Loline.

Any difficulty to install?

For best results, they should be run off their own 2 port zone valve and
thermostat. This can be integrated into your heating system as an additional
heating zone (which may be a lot of work, or little, depending on your
system), or you can just connect it in series as if it was a TRV, which will
work, but not be as flexible. You will also need a balancing valve.

Do they really work?

Yes.

I was also hoping that buying one of these might mean that the return pipe
might be a lot cooler on my central heating, and thus get better use out
of the condensing boiler I'm planning on getting installed.

To reduce the return temp, ensure that you balance the system properly. It
will respond to this just like a conventional radiator. If you want to plan
for condensing (say at 70/50) read the 40C temp differential line on the
charts and size accordingly. There's no harm in oversizing, if it suits.

Now the bad news.

They are pretty noisy. I'm happy to have them in the kitchen (as an
undercupboard kickspace) or in the conservatory (an over french doors
hiline). I probably wouldn't choose one in a lounge, where I might want to
watch a film with quiet sections, or engage in quiet conversation.

Christian.

Doctor Evil

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
[...]

You can use one in a lounge as a booster to get the temp up quick then the
rads maintain the temperature. A two stage thermostat (a controller can be
used. When cold both stages are on (stage 1 is rads and stage 2 is the
Myson). When room temp nears the setpoint, the 2nd stage cuts out.. When up
to temp the 1st stage cuts out too.

Try looking at designer rads. Like the tall car spring looking ones. Not
cheap but effective and a talking point.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
The Natural Philosopher

Colin Docherty wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have terrible trouble heating my sitting room, a combination of not enough
radiators and a open stair case.

The trouble is that I don't want to whack in a monster conventional
radiator which would take up all the room.

So I've seen these fan assisted convector radiators which I imagine work
a bit like the heater in the car, and they seem to be quite small for
their output.

Can anyone recommend these?
Any particular brand?
Anything I should look out for?
Any difficulty to install?
Do they really work?

I was also hoping that buying one of these might mean that the return pipe
might be a lot cooler on my central heating, and thus get better use out
of the condensing boiler I'm planning on getting installed.

No. That won;t happenm

I have some ****hs fan convectors, and although they are rated at 1.5KW
i'd say in normal use with normal circulation temps its nearer 1kW.

They won;t come ON till the internal stats detect water over 60C. So
kiss low return temps goodbye...best answer to that is have a towel rail
somewhere in the arse end of the scircuit, but try and get teh fan
heaters ion teh hott side of things.

They are a little noisy - especially through structure borne vibration -
I have wooden stud walls.

They are better than radiators at spreading the heat uniformly, but
nowhere near as good as UFH.

cheers!
Colin.

The Natural Philosopher

Tim S wrote:

[...]

I'd sday that is the killer, yes. Mine at about 2ft square would
probably do 700W or so per unit in non boost mode.

Plumbing is just a case of drop in place of the radiator, provided that
the pipes are capable of providing enough hot water (pertinent if you're
putting a device with higher output in place of the current rad).

Not sure about the mnysons, but mine were internally mounted in the
walls and needed balancing valves added. NOT a straight swap by any means.

You will need a mains supply via a room thermostat in all likelihood
(certainly the "Kickspace" models don't have a thermostat built in).

Neither do mine. I used external room stats on each one. (one per room)
HTH

Tim

Tim S

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:10:50 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim S wrote:

[...]

Yeah - The biggest Myson Kickspace claims 1.6kW in non boost mode. I
suspect that assumes lots of unrealistic conditions. I worked out a pair
of the biggest units would struggle to replace a pair of 1.5m long double
panel finned rads - but the room in question also contains a gas fire, so
I can afford some error.

Plumbing is just a case of drop in place of the radiator, provided that
the pipes are capable of providing enough hot water (pertinent if you're
putting a device with higher output in place of the current rad).

Not sure about the mnysons, but mine were internally mounted in the
walls and needed balancing valves added. NOT a straight swap by any means.

OK - that's a fair point. Two valves on the ends of the fixed
pipework would be useful as a means of isolation anyway (particularly if
using the Myson supplied flexible pipes).

Tim
Newshound

I have the smiths kickspace in the kitchen which I find a bit too noisy even
on low. However I used to have a myson wall mounted in another house, and
that was both quiet and powerful.

Doctor Evil

Colin Docherty wrote:

[...]

You can have the cold feed on the DHW run through a plate heat exchanger.
The plate is on the return to the boiler. It will then pre-heat DHW from
heat returning to the boiler, and lower the boiler return temp promoting
efficiency.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Christian McArdle

I have some ****hs fan convectors, and although they are rated at 1.5KW
i'd say in normal use with normal circulation temps its nearer 1kW.

Odd. My Myson Kickspace feels well over the specified output. It gets
the kitchen feeling warm in minutes. Far quicker than a radiator of
equivalent output, due to the forced convection flow.

As for the noise, although the Kickspace is a little noisy, I haven't
actually installed my intended hiline yet. It is definitely possible
that the hiline and loline are quieter, as they have room for larger,
quieter fans.

Christian.

Ian Middleton

Colin Docherty" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I have terrible trouble heating my sitting room, a combination of not
enough
radiators and a open stair case.

The trouble is that I don't want to whack in a monster conventional
radiator which would take up all the room.

So I've seen these fan assisted convector radiators which I imagine work
a bit like the heater in the car, and they seem to be quite small for
their output.

Can anyone recommend these?
Any particular brand?
Anything I should look out for?
Any difficulty to install?
Do they really work?

I was also hoping that buying one of these might mean that the return pipe
might be a lot cooler on my central heating, and thus get better use out
of the condensing boiler I'm planning on getting installed.

Other way of doing it, I have done, is place a curtain around the open stair
case in the room. Might looks naff ie choose something nice, I just chose
thick and cheap, but left the lounge in my case much much warmer as the heat
stayed in the lounge rather than rising upstairs. Also virtually killed all
the condensation problems I was suffering upstairs due to warm air rising
into a cool bathroom.

Doctor Evil

"Ian Middleton" wrote in message
[...]

Seal up the bathroom door.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Christian McArdle wrote:

As for the noise, although the Kickspace is a little noisy, I haven't
actually installed my intended hiline yet. It is definitely possible
that the hiline and loline are quieter, as they have room for larger,
quieter fans.

We have the biggest Hi-Line and the snd up from smallest (10-6) to heat
the shop.

Both work really well, but yesterday I swapped the switch wires over to
have the big beastie on Normal + Boost on the switch as Normal couldn't
quite take the chill off the air with a cold Northerly blowing the shop
door open.

Boost isn't really much noiser than running at "normal" but it's way to
loud to have in say a lounge.

The 10-6 is mounted at the other end of the shop on a partition wall
which amplifies any vibrations and sounds, so still pretty noisy.

I'm sure mounting on a brick wall would cut down sound significantly but
silent they certainly aren't.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)