Blair Malcolm

Default Steam cleaner query

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?
--
Blair Malcolm

Mary Fisher

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

My Karche (sp?) has an on/off switch for the steam.

Mary
--
Blair Malcolm

Magician

Hi Blair

Cheapers ones don't have the on/off control, pay a little more for one
with an on/off button on the handle.

Much more convenient, doesn't waste steam and much safer!

Dave

Blair Malcolm

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no

control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

My Karche (sp?) has an on/off switch for the steam.

Mary
--

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me the model you have
Blair

Blair Malcolm

"Magician" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Blair

Cheapers ones don't have the on/off control, pay a little more for one
with an on/off button on the handle.

Much more convenient, doesn't waste steam and much safer!

Dave

Thanks. Could you recommend a model ?
Blair

Mary Fisher

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message
--

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me the model you have
Blair

Just had a look:

Karcher 1102 Vaporapid.

I got it a few years ago and it might have been superseded.

A son bought one in Germany when he was posted there and said I couldn't
live without one, he insisted that I got one. I was impressed when I saw his
in use just on his windows (I don't like cleaning windows, it takes ages to
get them as good as I want). When we got back to Leeds I ordered one from a
local electrical supply shop. We always buy things from them, they give us
and everyone else a good deal and we want them to continue trading. But
apparently we couldn't have got one in the big places anyway.

I can recommend it 100%, ever time we use it for something new I'm pleased
:-) Spouse used it recently to clean the landing carpet where I spilt
dripping (don't ask) a couple of years ago. I'd tried with all sorts of
household cleaners, they seemed to work for a time but didn't do a permanent
job. This time the extensive marks haven't returned.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:03:15 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Spouse used it recently to clean the landing carpet where I spilt
dripping (don't ask) a couple of years ago. I'd tried with all sorts of
household cleaners, they seemed to work for a time but didn't do a permanent
job. This time the extensive marks haven't returned.

Mary, you don't really think that that one can be allowed to slip by
unnoticed do you?

My guesses a

- applying dripping to spouse's chilblains
- cooking chips in the bathroom
- "assistance" for bedroom activities

I bet that the reality is more interesting.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Spouse used it recently to clean the landing carpet where I spilt
dripping (don't ask) a couple of years ago. I'd tried with all sorts of
household cleaners, they seemed to work for a time but didn't do a
permanent
job. This time the extensive marks haven't returned.

Mary, you don't really think that that one can be allowed to slip by
unnoticed do you?

LOL!

My guesses a

- applying dripping to spouse's chilblains

He doesn't have them. But is dripping a cure for chilblains?

- cooking chips in the bathroom

No, I rarely cook chips and when I do I use truffle oil or duck fat. We have
no cooking facilities in the bathroom - except poaching I suppose. Or
coddling ...

- "assistance" for bedroom activities

Not needed. We're not 70 yet!

I bet that the reality is more interesting.....

Not really, that's why the caveat. I'd been making tallow candles in my
workroom which is a converted second bedroom. I took the dipping tank to the
bathroom to clean and tripped ...

You know how when you spill a very small glass or jug of milk and it spreads
far further than you'd imagine possible?

Molten tallow has the same property ... :-(

Today I've been processing tallow for a forthcoming film on soap making with
the Gnome. I stayed in the kitchen with a hard floor!

Mary

.andy

Andy

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:20:37 +0000, Blair Malcolm wrote:

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....Steam_Cleaner

Mary Fisher

"Andy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:20:37 +0000, Blair Malcolm wrote:

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no
control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

But does it have an on/off control?

Mary

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....Steam_Cleaner

Andy

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Andy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:20:37 +0000, Blair Malcolm wrote:

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no
control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

But does it have an on/off control?

Mary

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....Steam_Cleaner

I haven't used it in anger yet but it has a steam-on lever on the hand held
bit and
a heating on/off switch on the main unit body. So it looks like the steam
can be
turned off from the handheld part....

Mary Fisher

"Andy" wrote in message

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

But does it have an on/off control?

Mary

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....Steam_Cleaner

I haven't used it in anger yet but it has a steam-on lever on the hand
held bit and
a heating on/off switch on the main unit body. So it looks like the steam
can be
turned off from the handheld part....

Excellent. I hope it does a good job on your tallow.

Mary

Blair Malcolm

"Andy" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Andy" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:20:37 +0000, Blair Malcolm wrote:

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy
Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no
control
on the steam
It's on all the time when using.
Is this a common feature of these devices?

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

But does it have an on/off control?

Mary

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....Steam_Cleaner

I haven't used it in anger yet but it has a steam-on lever on the hand

held
bit and
a heating on/off switch on the main unit body. So it looks like the steam
can be
turned off from the handheld part....

On your advice I went to Lidl and bought one this morning. .Have just
carried out a first trial and was very pleased with the result.
The only query is with the Steam Intensity Regulator (item 12 on the
diagram) which is not correctly shown. There is a setting from 0 to 5.
As there is no guidance on its use I wondered if you would let me know what
you think of it when you get started. It could be a pressure regulator?
Blair

Andy

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message

On your advice I went to Lidl and bought one this morning. .Have just
carried out a first trial and was very pleased with the result.
The only query is with the Steam Intensity Regulator (item 12 on the
diagram) which is not correctly shown. There is a setting from 0 to 5.
As there is no guidance on its use I wondered if you would let me know
what
you think of it when you get started. It could be a pressure regulator?
Blair

Just used mine and all seems well! The instructions are pretty ropey aren't
they! The 0-5 dial thing is a "steam intensity" setting, 0 = low, 5 = high.

Andy.

Blair Malcolm

"Andy" wrote in message

"Blair Malcolm" wrote in message

On your advice I went to Lidl and bought one this morning. .Have just
carried out a first trial and was very pleased with the result.
The only query is with the Steam Intensity Regulator (item 12 on the
diagram) which is not correctly shown. There is a setting from 0 to 5.
As there is no guidance on its use I wondered if you would let me know
what
you think of it when you get started. It could be a pressure regulator?
Blair

Just used mine and all seems well! The instructions are pretty ropey

aren't
they! The 0-5 dial thing is a "steam intensity" setting, 0 = low, 5 =

high.

Andy.

Thanks. We just need to use it in anger now!.
Experience is the best teacher
Blair

Pressure washer/ steam cleaner Blair Malcolm UK diy 2 January 21st 05 11:46 AM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
Opinions needed on best steam cleaner ... Home Ownership 8 June 19th 04 05:40 PM
Steam vapor cleaner Alpha Two Home Repair 5 April 18th 04 01:18 AM
Steam cleaner, a use at last :-) Harry Bloomfield UK diy 66 March 30th 04 03:47 PM