T i m

Default Printer dilemma .. Anyone manning 'Dabs' online

Hi All,

Thanks to all those who offered help and advice re my printer
replacement dilemma (old HPDJ840c).

I finally ordered (last Sunday) a Canon ip4000 from Dabs.

I got an order confirmation on Sunday and an 'update' on Monday asking
to confirm the relationship between 'the cardholder' (my wife) , the
delivery address (my mate up the road) and myself (user) ;-)

I did so and in spite of a couple of 'any update on this order please'
? Emails I've had nothing but autoreplies?

The order status still shows 'awaiting card authorization' or summat.

So I just cancelled it ;-(

Two reasons ..

1) I get very frustrated when you have no access other than by email
(anyone have a phone number for them and is there any point calling
it?) and they don't seem to reply to that (well not in 4 days anyway)?

2) I've just been given an HPDJ 910c ;-)

Now I can understand that it might make things 'difficult' for them by
requesting a different delivery address from the card holders address,
but if that is going to nauze things up why give us the boxes to fill
in in the first place?

"The computer says No" ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:40:20 GMT, T i m wrote:

2) I've just been given an HPDJ 910c ;-)

wipes ink off glasses

Or 940c actually (doh)

NotMe

See uk.comp.vendors for a recent discussion about them.

It is rather long, but the short version is that if you expect any
communication from them, then you might as well go elsewhere in the first
place.

T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:40:20 GMT, T i m wrote:

2) I've just been given an HPDJ 910c ;-)

wipes ink off glasses

Or 940c actually (doh)

Stefek Zaba

NotMe wrote:
See uk.comp.vendors for a recent discussion about them. [Dabs, that is.]

It is rather long, but the short version is that if you expect any
communication from them, then you might as well go elsewhere in the first
place.

My heuristic for ordering from Dabs is: *only* order items they say are
in stock. Sticking to this, I've never had a missed delivery and always
received stuff next day. Colleagues who've believed the '239 expected in
2-3 days' have waited for much longer and been left in limbo.
T i m

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:59:18 +0000, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

NotMe wrote:
See uk.comp.vendors for a recent discussion about them. [Dabs, that is.]

It is rather long, but the short version is that if you expect any
communication from them, then you might as well go elsewhere in the first
place.

My heuristic for ordering from Dabs is: *only* order items they say are
in stock. Sticking to this, I've never had a missed delivery and always
received stuff next day. Colleagues who've believed the '239 expected in
2-3 days' have waited for much longer and been left in limbo.

The two items I orderd were both 'in stock' but I think I took it
'outside the box' by taking up their provision of having them
delivered to an address different to that of the cardholder? ;-(

I quite expected the 'confirmation letter' asking what my relationship
was to the delivery address etc (card security) but I forgot this
would have to put humans back in the chain and I'm not sure these
'internet only' suppliers have any on thir payroll? (I visualise a
room with just PDP11 in it). ;-)

Maybe if this HPDJ 940c isn't a 'goer' I'll place a straight order
with them again and keep it very simple .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Markus Splenius

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:44:07 GMT, T i m wrote:

'internet only' suppliers have any on thir payroll? (I visualise a
room with just PDP11 in it). ;-)

Maybe if this HPDJ 940c isn't a 'goer' I'll place a straight order
with them again and keep it very simple .. ;-)

The printer has more CPU power than the PDP 11, that's for sure.

Markus

Dave Phillips

hello all

Have had mediocre experiences with DABS myself too. I then used to use
Simply, and now I find that they have been swallowed up by (eek!)
Misco. Anyway they still have a big garish website at www.simply.co.uk
and their next day delivery still seems reliable. I always have the
delivery sent to my work address, never to home. Never had a problem
with them. And no I don't work there.

cheers Dave P

wrote:

NotMe wrote:
[...]

Christian McArdle

The two items I orderd were both 'in stock' but I think I took it
'outside the box' by taking up their provision of having them
delivered to an address different to that of the cardholder? ;-(

I often order to different addresses using Dabs. However, they do not like
to do so until they've delivered a few times to the real address to make
sure you aren't going to do a runner, as delivery to a non-cardholder
address will result in a credit card chargeback on request, so is a
considerable risk to them.

I had a similar issue when I ordered some bits for my mother, as she,
obviously, had no history with them. The order got put on hold until they
could ascertain her integrity. After a day or two of nothing seeming to
happen, I just cancelled the line of the order that they had held and the
rest of the bits turned up next day!

However, when I order in my own name, there is never a problem, as I have
ordered lots of stuff of them without any issues, so they don't care about
the address, as they know I'm genuine.

Christian.

William Joones

The two items I orderd were both 'in stock' but I think I took it
'outside the box' by taking up their provision of having them
delivered to an address different to that of the cardholder? ;-(

I quite expected the 'confirmation letter' asking what my relationship
was to the delivery address etc (card security) but I forgot this
would have to put humans back in the chain and I'm not sure these
'internet only' suppliers have any on thir payroll? (I visualise a
room with just PDP11 in it). ;-)

Maybe if this HPDJ 940c isn't a 'goer' I'll place a straight order
with them again and keep it very simple .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

The senario of cardholder, delivery address and purchasing customer
all being different people would immediatly indicate a high
possibility of fraud. Even the most rudametary fraud screening systems
would alert on this.

It seems Dabs realise this sort of thing and no doubt would like to do
futher investigations before accepting the order.

From your expereice though, it seems they are not very good at this.
T i m

On 11 Feb 2005 03:25:42 -0800, (Dave Phillips)
wrote:

hello all

Have had mediocre experiences with DABS myself too. I then used to use
Simply, and now I find that they have been swallowed up by (eek!)
Misco. Anyway they still have a big garish website at
www.simply.co.uk
and their next day delivery still seems reliable. I always have the
delivery sent to my work address, never to home. Never had a problem
with them.

I used to use them fairly regularly when they had a 'shop' in
Walthamstow. Their prices were ok (better than PCW but worse than the
'trade' suppliers I had access to) and sometimes it's nice to just go
and get something rather than relying on couriers etc.

Then they went all weird with no direct sales access (pick up a phone
and ring someone the other side of a partition?) and I've hardly been
back since.

And no I don't work there.

Like Dabs, does anyone?

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:11:06 +0000, Markus Splenius
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:44:07 GMT, T i m wrote:

'internet only' suppliers have any on thir payroll? (I visualise a
room with just PDP11 in it). ;-)

Maybe if this HPDJ 940c isn't a 'goer' I'll place a straight order
with them again and keep it very simple .. ;-)

The printer has more CPU power than the PDP 11, that's for sure.

Markus

T i m now visualises a Canon IP4000 in a darkened room, directly
connected to the internet with a "WWW.Dabs.co.uk" namecard on the top
.... ;-)

T i m