Jo

Default Underpinning & insurance

We've recently found out that our house was underpinned between 1983 & 1985.
We were not advised of this by the previous owners (who may not have known)
or the solicitor. We have had an extension built & are worried that the
fact that we've been underpinned (although we don't have exact details of
where) and we didn't know, may cause a problem. The extension passed
building & planning regulations so I'm presuming we have nothing to worry
about.
We have recently changed mortgage lenders and all of a sudden, all the
paperwork came out of the woodwork! We were unaware of a number of changes
that had been made to tour property in the past and are worried that the
solicitor in charge of our purchase should have passed this info onto us at
the time of purchase.
Can anyone advise?

Jo & John

Andrew Chesters

Jo wrote:
[...]

Urgh... I won't comment on the legal aspect, as you probably need to be
talking to a NEW solicitor, however, for detail on what was done to the
property you could try your local Building Control office. I had
dealings with mine years ago when I knowingly bought a previously
underpinned house. Very helpful indeed. If done properly, it is
probably more stable than any 'normal' house, but most of the problems
will come when you want to sell. Insurers will almost certainly
increase the excess on your policy, for subsidence only, if you are lucky.

Andrew
The Natural Philosopher

Jo wrote:

We've recently found out that our house was underpinned between 1983 & 1985.
We were not advised of this by the previous owners (who may not have known)
or the solicitor. We have had an extension built & are worried that the
fact that we've been underpinned (although we don't have exact details of
where) and we didn't know, may cause a problem. The extension passed
building & planning regulations so I'm presuming we have nothing to worry
about.
We have recently changed mortgage lenders and all of a sudden, all the
paperwork came out of the woodwork! We were unaware of a number of changes
that had been made to tour property in the past and are worried that the
solicitor in charge of our purchase should have passed this info onto us at
the time of purchase.
Can anyone advise?

Sue the *******.

Jo & John