Josh

Default Loft flooring

I'm about to floor my loft and was looking at B&Q's chipboard loft
flooring packs 3x 1220x325 (18mm) at 3.78/pack.
Does anyone know if any of the other sheds / builders merchants are
cheaper than this?
Cheers,
Josh
Markus Splenius

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:41 GMT, Josh
wrote:

I'm about to floor my loft and was looking at B&Q's chipboard loft
flooring packs 3x 1220x325 (18mm) at 3.78/pack.
Does anyone know if any of the other sheds / builders merchants are
cheaper than this?
Cheers,
Josh

It's a bit cheaper and *much* quicker to use the 2440x600 boards. Buy
one for a bit less than a fiver (from B&Q) and see if you can get it
up through the hole. If you can't it's no great loss.

Markus

Mary Fisher

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message

Don't bother with the tongue and groove boarding. The best approach is to
use ordinary t&g floorboards. Easier to handle and significantly less
wastage.

Ah! Someone else agrees with what we did:-)

I was beginning to think we were alone.

Mary

Cheers
Clive

James

"Josh" wrote in message

Thanks all. Checked joist spacing, and will lose 10% from B&Q boarding
packs, or 20% from full size 2440x600.
Also, B&Q boarding packs are £3.78/1.19sq m (or £3.17/sqm), whereas my
local timber merchant sells 2440x600 at £4.87 (or £3.38/sqm), so (assuming
my maths is correct), the smaller boards are cheaper to buy (6%), but more
time consuming to lay.
Josh

Why does there need to be wastage when using tongue and groove boards. If
the ends of the boards don't rest on a joist won't they be adequately
supported by interlocking with neighbouring boards - assuming you are only
using this floor for light storage and access.

James

---

Ian Middleton

"James" wrote in message

"Josh" wrote in message

Thanks all. Checked joist spacing, and will lose 10% from B&Q boarding
packs, or 20% from full size 2440x600.
Also, B&Q boarding packs are £3.78/1.19sq m (or £3.17/sqm), whereas my
local timber merchant sells 2440x600 at £4.87 (or £3.38/sqm), so
(assuming my maths is correct), the smaller boards are cheaper to buy
(6%), but more time consuming to lay.
Josh

Why does there need to be wastage when using tongue and groove boards. If
the ends of the boards don't rest on a joist won't they be adequately
supported by interlocking with neighbouring boards - assuming you are only
using this floor for light storage and access.

James

My 2440x600 sheets alway joined at the joists. My joist spacing was about
60cm except at the ends near the wall.

James wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

Thanks all. Checked joist spacing, and will lose 10% from B&Q

boarding
packs, or 20% from full size 2440x600.
Also, B&Q boarding packs are =A33.78/1.19sq m (or =A33.17/sqm),

whereas my
local timber merchant sells 2440x600 at =A34.87 (or =A33.38/sqm), so

(assuming
my maths is correct), the smaller boards are cheaper to buy (6%),

but more
time consuming to lay.
Josh

Why does there need to be wastage when using tongue and groove

boards. If
the ends of the boards don't rest on a joist won't they be adequately

supported by interlocking with neighbouring boards - assuming you are

only
using this floor for light storage and access.
=20

No! Been there, done that, had to do it again.

MBQ

John

"James" wrote in message
Why does there need to be wastage when using tongue and groove boards. If
the ends of the boards don't rest on a joist won't they be adequately
supported by interlocking with neighbouring boards - assuming you are only
using this floor for light storage and access.

James

The boards are only T & G'd on the long edges. The instructions say to cut
boards so they finish in the middle of a joist.

HTH

John

James

wrote in message
ups.com...

Why does there need to be wastage when using tongue and groove

boards. If
the ends of the boards don't rest on a joist won't they be adequately

supported by interlocking with neighbouring boards - assuming you are

only
using this floor for light storage and access.

No! Been there, done that, had to do it again.

MBQ

I have had a loft floor done in this way for the past 12 years and there
have been no problems. One difference is my panels are tongue and groove
MDF - not chipboard. And I do only use the floor for light storage and very
occasional access.

James

---