Jim

Default Detecting plastic water pipes

Can anyone come up with a means of accurately detecting the location
plastic water pipes that are chased into brickwork and then sheeted
over with plasterboard?
Owain

"Jim" wrote
| Can anyone come up with a means of accurately detecting the location
| plastic water pipes that are chased into brickwork and then sheeted
| over with plasterboard?

Hammer and nail. Will find the pipe every time :-)

Owain

kmillar

Hammer in a nail. Pull the nail out.
If water spurts out you've found the pipe.

-K

Jim wrote:
Can anyone come up with a means of accurately detecting the location
plastic water pipes that are chased into brickwork and then sheeted
over with plasterboard?

keng

If they travel up from floor level, try a fine bladed filling knife or
similar and slide it in at bottom of plaster board to locate the chased
channel. Use a spirit level or plumb line to mark channel up wall then
check again at top of wall.

KG

Lurch

On 27 Jan 2005 07:54:18 -0800, "keng" strung
together this:

If they travel up from floor level, try a fine bladed filling knife or
similar and slide it in at bottom of plaster board to locate the chased
channel. Use a spirit level or plumb line to mark channel up wall then
check again at top of wall.

This one's even funnier than using a hammer and nail.

If someones plumbed a house with plastic then they're not going to be
running in a straight line anywhere at all, either horizontally,
vertically or other.
--

SJW
keng

Lurch wrote:
If someones plumbed a house with plastic........

No, definitely can't see that in the original post, but then, you're
such a smart ar*e you probably know everything there is to know about
the house in question.

Sure, the hammer and nail was funny, but then it's time for something
else once it has run it's course. You being such a know all still
haven't been able to come up with your own material, either funny or
practical.

If the channels have been chased into brickwork there's a remote chance
that they may follow one of the routes you so purposefully scorn, hence
my hilarious post.

KG

Lurch

On 27 Jan 2005 14:52:45 -0800, "keng" strung
together this:

but then, you're such a smart ar*e

I know, at least I'm not a complete ****. Just chill out a bit, and
while you're at it, **** off with your boyfriend IMM the complete
****.
--

SJW
Christian McArdle

If someones plumbed a house with plastic then they're not going to be
running in a straight line anywhere at all, either horizontally,
vertically or other.

Except that it is run in a chase, so is very likely to be vertical. I
wouldn't cut a chase into brickwork that meanders about.

Christian.

.

In article , Lurch
writes
On 27 Jan 2005 07:54:18 -0800, "keng" strung
together this:

If they travel up from floor level, try a fine bladed filling knife or
similar and slide it in at bottom of plaster board to locate the chased
channel. Use a spirit level or plumb line to mark channel up wall then
check again at top of wall.

This one's even funnier than using a hammer and nail.

If someones plumbed a house with plastic then they're not going to be
running in a straight line anywhere at all, either horizontally,
vertically or other.

What a daft statement
--
David
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Jim
wrote:
Can anyone come up with a means of accurately detecting the location
plastic water pipes that are chased into brickwork and then sheeted
over with plasterboard?

If you can get into the pipe. . . .

Decent magnet on a length of string. Magnetic compass from the heel of the
shoes (Pathfinder?) you had when you were in the cubs in the 60's and look
for the deflection of the needle toward the magnet.

In tha absence of the above, any magnetic compass should be fine.

Grimly Curmudgeon

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
saying something like:

In article , Jim
wrote:
Can anyone come up with a means of accurately detecting the location
plastic water pipes that are chased into brickwork and then sheeted
over with plasterboard?

If you can get into the pipe. . . .

Detcord.
--