Colin Docherty

Default Fitting whirlpool baths - Is it much more difficult?

Hi Folks,

I've fitted two baths before, but I'd like to get one of these whirlpool
baths now.

Is it a big deal to fit one? Whats involved (you can't see underneath most
of them when in the shops)? And extra things I need to buy?

And regarding electrics, my house has a global RCD, Does this mean I don't
need an RCD for the whirlpool connection? And can I take the power for the
whirlpool bath as a spur from a ring socket?

Thanks Again,
Colin.
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Colin Docherty wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've fitted two baths before, but I'd like to get one of these whirlpool
baths now.

Is it a big deal to fit one? Whats involved (you can't see underneath most
of them when in the shops)? And extra things I need to buy?

It shouldn't be a big deal. I fitted one recently - however it's the
first bath I've ever fitted, so no idea about the differences!

It sits on 4 feet which are adjustable, but I'd also secured it into
a wooden frame under the bath.

And regarding electrics, my house has a global RCD, Does this mean I don't
need an RCD for the whirlpool connection? And can I take the power for the
whirlpool bath as a spur from a ring socket?

I had a spur of the upstairs mains going into a wall mounted fan heater
in the bathroom - I took that out, but kept the cable and diverted it
to a faceplate on the wall next to the bath - I then replaced the fused
switchbox next to a double socket outside the bathroom (where the spur
originated) by a fused RCD unit.

It's a fantastic bath btw. It'll pay for itself in terms of bubble-bath
required in about ....

Seriously, start with ONE CAPFULL of bubble bath and work up or down
from there.. Don't just pour 1/4 a bottle under the taps as we used to do...

Gordon
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Colin Docherty wrote:

I've fitted two baths before, but I'd like to get one of these whirlpool
baths now.

We have one.

Wouldn't bother replacing it if it broke.

Sure the novelty lasted for.... a few baths, but the droning of pumps,
rapid cooling of water due to air being pumped through, and not to
mention the vast amounts of moisture it released into the air.

Ours is anything _but_ a relaxing bath.

Of course, you don't _have_ to use the bubbles and jets, and it looks
dead posh to the comoners that haven't seen one before!

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Chris J Dixon

Colin Docherty wrote:

I've fitted two baths before, but I'd like to get one of these whirlpool
baths now.

Is it a big deal to fit one? Whats involved (you can't see underneath most
of them when in the shops)? And extra things I need to buy?

And regarding electrics, my house has a global RCD, Does this mean I don't
need an RCD for the whirlpool connection? And can I take the power for the
whirlpool bath as a spur from a ring socket?

Should be OK, but don't forget that this now comes under part P
(Google if you are not up to speed)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Stefek Zaba

Chris J Dixon wrote:

And regarding electrics, my house has a global RCD, Does this mean I don't
need an RCD for the whirlpool connection? And can I take the power for the
whirlpool bath as a spur from a ring socket?

Should be OK, but don't forget that this now comes under part P
(Google if you are not up to speed)

Depends on the rating of the whole-house RCD. If it's 30mA sensitivity,
it's OK (though not best practice to have all the lights go out when
some other circuit causes the RCD to trip). But if it's a 100mA
sensitivity trip - as needed for a TT installation, typical with a rural
overhead supply - it's not nearly sensitive enough to provide the
required protection against shock, and you'd need a 30mA RCD for the
circuit the whirlpool feeds from.