Ohaya

Default Opinions on Maytag and Whirlpool dishwashers?

Hi,

We're looking for a replacement for our dishwasher, and in particular are
looking at Maytag and Whirlpool models at our local Lowes. The space where
the old dishwasher was has a depth of almost exactly 24" from the back wall
to the front face of the cabinet, and we have granite countertops.

The Maytag we were considering was the Model #MDBTT59AWB, and the Whirlpool
was the Model #DU943PWKB.

Both say "Depth 24 inches".

Prices are about the same on both, but they have a deal through Saturday
where installation of the Whirlpool is $59 (vs. their normal $160), so the
Maytag looks like it's about $100 more (including installation).

Warranty on the Maytag is 1 yr labor/2 yr parts vs. 1 yr labor/1 yr parts
for the Whirlpool.

Any comments on these particular models, or on Maytag vs. Whirlpool, would
be appreciated. We'd like to try to make a decision this week, if we go
with the Whirlpool, that installation deal ends this Saturday.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

jeff

"Ohaya" wrote in message news:cOkec.1417$0h6.436@lakeread02...
[...]

Some consumers opinions....
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_A...ll-Dishwashers

Both Maytag and Whirlpool have good track records with having parts
and service available when needed....both make good products....you
should enjoy either.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Art

Personnally I would try Sears to see if they would match price. Anything
goes wrong, at least around here, Sears will take care of it.

I have a 3 level Maytag dishwasher. Don't know if you are looking at their
3 level one but we like it and it was rated well by Consumer Reports. Check
out the one you are consider ing in Consumer Reports at your local library.
They rate dishwashers almost every year. If you are looking at a 2 level
Maytag make sure it is their extra high door version otherwise you are
probably looking at an old model. Extra high door means taller loading room
(instead of 3rd rack).

"Ohaya" wrote in message
[...]

Chuckles

"Ohaya" wrote in

Any comments on these particular models, or on Maytag vs. Whirlpool,
would be appreciated. We'd like to try to make a decision this week,
if we go with the Whirlpool, that installation deal ends this
Saturday.

The brand name doesn't really matter. Buy the features you need. If
possible, get one without a bottom panel, i.e. with a taller space for
dishes. In some models this space allows a third shelf, and in others the
top shelf has enough height to hold dinner plates.

Also recommend checking that the model you buy has a rinse aid dispenser.
Makes a big difference since this way the rinse aid is only released during
the rinse cycle. And rinse aid is a wonderful thing.
Marc Newman

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:46:59 -0400, "Ohaya"
wrote:

[...]

I just bought a Whirlpool GU1200 about a month ago and so far I have
been pleased with the product. I have had various Maytag products
over the years (Dishwasher, Washers and Dryers) and have had good luck
with dependability and longevity but when they had problems, my
experience with Maytag repair has been so bad I would not even
consider buying another Maytag product.

Dave Harnish

Jim,

I'm probably late on this one, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway.
Be aware the Maytag isn't a Maytag any more, but a 'revamped'
Admiral/Magic Chef Dishwasher. And I'm seeing too many little
problems with them to be impressed. (The same is true of their
washers, btw - 'Real' Maytag washers aren't being made any more,
but are basically Admiral/MChef with the Maytag nameplate on
the console. And I'm afraid that's not a good thing.)

I recommend the midline Whirlpool. It's a proven design that does
a good job for the money. Right now I'm advising staying away
from the tall-tubs. Buy a mechanical timer model, rather than
electronic controls, *if* you can still find one that's not bottom of
the line.

Hope that's of some help - probably worth about $.02. But I work
on 'em every day, and get to see what's working and what isn't...

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

ink.net...

wrote:

[...]

Strangelove

"Dave Harnish" wrote in message
Jim,

I'm probably late on this one, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway.
Be aware the Maytag isn't a Maytag any more, but a 'revamped'
Admiral/Magic Chef Dishwasher. And I'm seeing too many little
problems with them to be impressed.

I never had a problem with Maytag OR the revamp.