garryb59

Default External 13amp socket...

I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an
integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire
directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main
very near to the position where I want the external socket.

Cheers
Garry

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
garryb59 writes:

I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an
integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

No. You need an RCD, but it can be indoors. In my case, the
RCD and double pole isolation switch for the outdoor sockets
are both indoors, and thus don't need to be the waterproof
type, only the sockets do. (Actually, I have my outdoor
sockets on a 10mA RCD, but 30mA RCD is acceptable too.)

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire
directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main
very near to the position where I want the external socket.

You might as well use a fused double pole switched connection
unit. The fuse isn't mandatory, but it's probably better to
protect the outdoor wiring at 13A rather than 30A. You can get
such units with built-in RCD's too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:54:57 +0000, garryb59
wrote:

I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an
integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire
directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main
very near to the position where I want the external socket.

Cheers
Garry

Whatever type of consumer unit you have, you need to have a 30mA RCD
at some point before the actual outside socket.

One way would be to have a split consumer unit with RCD in the middle
and circuit breakers for protected circuits on its load side. This
isn't really open to you (most likely) with a rewirable fusebox.

The second option is to go for an outside socket with integral RCD -
cost from TLC is £42.50 net (LB8800). Wire this as a spur from the
existing ring circuit.

The third option is to get a weatherproof socket only - MK 56480 at
£16, then wire through an RCD spur unit (CM4904) at £26 between it and
the ring circuit.

There's nothing in it price-wise.

However, if you went for the separate RCD spur box option, because it
is fused at 13A you could connect multiple outlets downstream of it if
you wanted to do so. These could radiate from the spur unit or be
connected as a daisy chain.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:54:57 +0000, garryb59
strung together this:

I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an
integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

Yes, either that or upgrade you dodgy fusebox.

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire
directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main
very near to the position where I want the external socket.

I would run the supply through a switched 13A connection unit inside
for maintenance purposes.
--

SJW

nick smith

Isn't what he really needs a fully certified, qualified, authorised, Building
Control approved, hard to find in a short time, compliant with Part P
electrician, or is this job exempt ?

;-((

Nick

Lurch

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:46 GMT, "nick smith"
strung together this:

Isn't what he really needs a fully certified, qualified, authorised, Building
Control approved, hard to find in a short time, compliant with Part P
electrician,

**** knows.

or is this job exempt ?

See above.
--

SJW
garryb59

The second option is to go for an outside socket with integral RCD -
cost from TLC is £42.50 net (LB8800). Wire this as a spur from the
existing ring circuit.

Ah, I hadn't seen this, I was only aware of the Masterseal unit at
£86.

Thanks for all the quick responses, much appreciated.

Garry

Stefek Zaba

nick smith wrote:
Isn't what he really needs a fully certified, qualified, authorised, Building
Control approved, hard to find in a short time, compliant with Part P
electrician, or is this job exempt ?

I believe it's exempt: outside sockets aren't a Special Situation,
though a shed, garrij, bathroom, and kitchen are, and he's adding
sockets to an existing circuit rather'n running a new one.

What, you expected common sense from Part P? Logic? A consistent
evaluation of risk? Puh-leaze!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
garryb59 wrote:
I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an
integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire
directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main
very near to the position where I want the external socket.

Use a suitable internal RCD spur unit and a basic external socket. This
also has the advantage of allowing the external socket to be switched off
from inside when not in use - which might be good news if you have chavs
around. ;-)

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cheaper at www.screwfix.com

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=9&y=7

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=5&y=7

I've had two orders in the past week, both arrived the following working
day.

Mark Carver

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Use a suitable internal RCD spur unit and a basic external socket. This
also has the advantage of allowing the external socket to be switched off
from inside when not in use - which might be good news if you have chavs
around. ;-)

If they're around I'd be inclined to soak the surrounding ground with
salt water, and install a 3 phase supply and external socket.