Graeme

Default Silicone sealant

Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway, but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

Grunff

Graeme wrote:
Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway, but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

--
Grunff
John Rumm

Graeme wrote:
Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway, but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

I would not bother sealing it until the tiles are in place - that will
stop water getting behind them. It will also reduce the 1.5cm to
something a bit more managable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Firstly apologies for a total lack of information but

I was watching a programme the other day and they looked at a man who
had given up his job and invested his savings to market a moveable
bath sealer, it was a white moving plastic fitting that moves up and
down.

I think that it was on the money programme but I am not sure - I will
search but hopefully someone else will have seen it. It certainly
seemed to offer an alternative to silicon sealant.

BigWallop

"Graeme" wrote in message ...
Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway, but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

For a gap that width I'd recommend using a bath seal strip which will sit on the wall
and you put your tiles over it.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Plastic_Trims.html

Graeme

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two

end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what

depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway,

but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

For a gap that width I'd recommend using a bath seal strip which will sit

on the wall
and you put your tiles over it.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Plastic_Trims.html

I'd already looked at these but am not totally convinced. Wouldn't slight
movement in the bath cause stress on the tiles? I guess I was hoping that
filling the gap with silicone would add stability. The bath doesn't move
that much, in fact after screwing the legs to the floor, and a couple of
wall brackets, I only know it does move a little because I've _tried_ to
move it.

Graeme

"Grunff" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two

end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what

depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway,

but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

Thanks.
I was going to rely on the L profile for the seal, and the silicone would
just add a bit of extra stability.

Andrew Mawson

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

Draw a line on the wall with a pencil exactly where the top edge is, then
fill the bath with water and draw another line - you'll be amazed how far it
moves. A bath full of water weighs a huge amount !

The bath itself flexes, the floor will go down a bit, and the leg structure
will compress - it all adds up. Best case is a cast iron bath on a concrete
floor. Worst case is an acrylic bath on a chipboard floor !

Andrew Mawson

Murdo

Graeme,

I had a similar situation and used a bath seal as suggested by BigWallop -
i.e. seal with tiles over it. In my case it was an acrylic bath on
traditional floorboards. The only precaution I took was to fill the bath
with water before fitting the seal and putting on the tiles - when the tile
cement had dried, I emptied the bath. That was 5 years ago and I've had no
problems at all. The bath does settle down with the weight of the water,
but the seal is designed to compensate a certain amount. In my case, I've
seen no evidence of stress on the bath or tiles. I'd use it again.

Murdo

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

The Natural Philosopher

Graeme wrote:

Just fitted a new bath and there is a gap between the bath and the two end
walls of approx 1.5cm. Will Silicone fill this size gap, and to what depth?
Or should I use some other type of filler with a silicone 'top coat'?
When the walls have been tiled, I'll be adding an L shaped seal anyway, but
I thought the extra sealant/filler would add to rigidity/stability.
Thanks.

shape a bit of wood to fit, coat it liberally in superglue, and tap it
into position,.

NOW use silicone sealant...

nick smith

Have a chat with Dow Corning Technical for a product with high movement capability
(possibly 791 ?) I think it can tolerate 50% or more and there may be better ones. If the
bath moves more than 2 or 3 mm though that would be excessive and attention would need to
be paid to e.g. the floor and mounts.

Nick

Might have been "Working Lunch" a few weeks back... was it the same
company who did the set of spikes you drop a growbag onto su that there
is then a solid fitting for the tomato canes?

yes it was - still can't find it though
Pete C

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:07:17 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

Also the silicon seal needs to be some multiple of this and to have
the right depth and a bond breaker behind it if necessary.

cheers,
Pete.

Michael Mcneil

"Grunff" wrote in message

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Ian Stirling

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Pity the fool who loses his tape measure.
Graeme

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Graeme" wrote in message

[...]

I had assumed that the bath would move a.little depending on the amount of
water and people (;-) that are in it. I did your experiment of drawing a
line with the bath empty, and then full. The lines are in exactly the same
place! Not 0.5mm difference. This is an acrylic bath on chipboard (although
the bath's feet are directly over the joists).

Graeme

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:95a827dfe62ecb68aa35fbe984bad829.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Grunff" wrote in message

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Sorry, are you saying that this gap is too big to fill with silicone?
Ta.

Andrew Mawson

"Graeme" wrote in message
SNIP lot of good stuff

[...]

I'm glad to hear it but a bit suprised ! Maybe the joist span is very small
? or is it a very small bath ? - anyway it's good news for the longevity of
your seal ! (says he who has to repaint the downstairs loo ceiling AGAIN as
the seal failed on out first floor bath behind the taps!)

Andrew Mawson

Michael Mcneil

"Graeme" wrote in message

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Sorry, are you saying that this gap is too big to fill with silicone?

Is this a troll?

We are talking about gaps of 5/8" here are we not?

BigWallop

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message

Silicone will fill it, but don't rely on it to seal. Make sure you get
your final seal, with the L profile, really watertight.

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Pity the fool who loses his tape measure.

If you lose your bubble, do you become level headed or not ?

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Graeme

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:569697833a5e496976b892513393e1c1.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Graeme" wrote in message

Someone write and tell this fool where to get a tape measure.

Sorry, are you saying that this gap is too big to fill with silicone?

Is this a troll?

We are talking about gaps of 5/8" here are we not?

Troll? No.

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too
much? Why?

Michael Mcneil

"Graeme" wrote in message

Sorry, are you saying that this gap is too big to fill with silicone?

Is this a troll?

We are talking about gaps of 5/8" here are we not?

Troll? No.

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too
much? Why?

I'm sorry about all that.

If there is a 15mm gap from the bath to the wall you will need to put
something in there. The silicon is a liquid until it sets it will flow
down the wall. It will fill smallish gaps as it is quite viscous and
sets fairly quickly. A strip of 1/2" wooden (or plastic or some other
sort of) beading will do.

Stick it on with silicon if you like.* Then run a stream of silicon
along the now diminished gap.

Make sure the outlet is large enough for the strip you want to lay, by
cutting the nozzle at a suitible diameter and cut it with a slight
angle.

Each time you run a bead, wipe the nozzle clean until you get the hang
of it. When using the gun, remember it will keep coming out after you
have stopped squeezing -so have some newspaper or a rag handy.

Do a dry run or two to get the hang of the angle you want and rest part
of the nozzle on one edge as you go. If you think you might louse it up,
run a strip of tape either side of where you want the stuff to end up
and rip it off after it will leave an excellent edge if you do it
quickly and remove it straight away.

Going too slowly is the surest way to foul up.

Good luck and have fun.

*You'd better not. Use No Nails -or a couple of tacks with the silicon.
one more thing, buy the best mastic gun you can find. The cheapest ones
are really naff and most of them are too small for the longer
cartridges.

Grunff

Graeme wrote:

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too
much? Why?

No, it's not at all too much, it's fine. RTV silicone as sold by the
sheds for bathroom use is a thick gel like substance, you can easily
fill an inch gap by overlapping beads of it.

--
Grunff

Jerry.

"Grunff" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too
much? Why?

No, it's not at all too much, it's fine. RTV silicone as sold by the
sheds for bathroom use is a thick gel like substance, you can easily
fill an inch gap by overlapping beads of it.

You don't fit double glazing by any chance ?...... !

Michael Mcneil

"Jerry." wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too
much? Why?

No, it's not at all too much, it's fine. RTV silicone as sold by the
sheds for bathroom use is a thick gel like substance, you can easily
fill an inch gap by overlapping beads of it.

You don't fit double glazing by any chance ?...... !

The bloody fool had the cheek to tell me that he had me in his ignore
files. As if I could care. At least I don't have to ride herd on the
cowboy answering my posts.

I bet you can tell which house is his by looking at the doors in his
street.

Removing mildew from Silicone sealant? £$oteric UK diy 5 May 14th 04 01:13 PM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 02:10 PM
Black sanitary silicone sealant? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 13 February 19th 04 08:20 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 11:03 AM
coloured silicone sealant Pete Cross UK diy 7 November 19th 03 03:13 PM