Mark

Default Choosing a cordless drill

Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over £150 for just a drill.

I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make
of drill would be suitable.

TIA, Mark

IMM

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over £150 for just a drill.

I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make
of drill would be suitable.

TIA, Mark

Get an SDS drill: circa £80-120.
Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa £60-80

Sorted.

Kaiser

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over £150 for just a drill.

I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make
of drill would be suitable.

TIA, Mark

Get an SDS drill: circa £80-120.
Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa £60-80

Sorted.

I think they paint them grey so the pro's can hide them in the cement dust
on building sites to avoid embarrassment.

RichardS

"Kaiser" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

No, it's so elephants don't get caught doing unlicensed electrical work.

And it works, too....

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Kaiser

"RichardS" wrote in message
"Kaiser" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Elephants only do Trunk...ing.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:23:03 -0000, "Kaiser" wrote:

"RichardS" wrote in message

No, it's so elephants don't get caught doing unlicensed electrical work.

And it works, too....

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Elephants only do Trunk...ing.

Tusk, tusk.

For that one, I think we should send you pach(yderm)ing.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

IMM wrote:

Get an SDS drill: circa ï½£80-120.
Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa ï½£60-80

Oddly, I agree with him on this (mostly anyway)....

If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall
plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains
drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.

(The Wicks kit can be a mixed bag since they use a number of OEMs not
just Kress).

--
Cheers,

John.

Mark

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:35:34 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

IMM wrote:

Get an SDS drill: circa ?80-120.
Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa ?60-80

Oddly, I agree with him on this (mostly anyway)....

If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall
plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains
drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

Cheers, Mark

Mark

wrote:

IMM wrote:

Get an SDS drill: circa ?80-120.
Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa ?60-80

Oddly, I agree with him on this (mostly anyway)....

If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall
plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains
drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

This is one of the cheapest ones I can find:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=30869
Are draper OK nowadays?

Also I'm a bit confused. Some descriptions describe a drill as a
hammer drill with SDS+ chuck. Are these true SDS+ drills?

Cheers, Mark

Lurch

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:57:02 +0000, Mark
strung together this:

This is one of the cheapest ones I can find:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...roductID=30869
Are draper OK nowadays?

I've seen worse. All (most) of my power tools are Makita and I
wouldn't recommend anything else.

Also I'm a bit confused. Some descriptions describe a drill as a
hammer drill with SDS+ chuck. Are these true SDS+ drills?

Yes, these will be a SDS drill with an adaptor that fits in the chuck
of the SDS with a 3 jaw chuick on the end to allow you to use standard
drill bits. These adaptors aren't for use when the SDS is in hammer
mode.
--

SJW
StealthUK

This is one of the cheapest ones I can find:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...ductID=3D30869
Are draper OK nowadays?

Looks like it's the same as the Challenge at Argos:
http://tinyurl.com/4cwps
which is =A320 cheaper.

John Rumm

Mark wrote:

If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall
plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains
drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

There will be many limitations to the tools at this price point (google
back on this forum, they have been done to death in the past), but if
your requirement in "holes in hard stuff PDQ" then you won't be bothered
by many of them other than perhaps the lack of electronic speed control
which limits the finesse of whole drilling a little.

The NuTool Pro (orange and silver) may do what you want - its not _too_
heavy, and has a safty clutch. You may also find some of the sheds own
brand tools or the Argos offerings OK. If you spend a little more there
is a consumer (i.e. green) Bosch that Argos do that seems to get
reasonable reports.

--
Cheers,

John.

Kaiser

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

Cheers, Mark

If you are using it purely for DIY and you want something that should last
you, look at the factory recon Bosch PBH 2200 RE, £59.00 at the following
site.

http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20...n/bshdiydr.htm

IMM

"Kaiser" wrote in message
What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

Cheers, Mark

If you are using it purely for DIY and you want something that should last
you, look at the factory recon Bosch PBH 2200 RE, £59.00 at the following
site.

http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20...n/bshdiydr.htm

Leave it out. One was £25 new and £20 used and reconned. What a rip off.
A SDS was £90 new and £70 reconn. Some saving eh?

Lobster

Kaiser wrote:

If you are using it purely for DIY and you want something that should last
you, look at the factory recon Bosch PBH 2200 RE, £59.00 at the following
site.

http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20...n/bshdiydr.htm

Interesting: never come across them before. Have you bought from them -
is their kit OK? How about batteries: what are they like: do they come
with new cells?

David

Lobster

Mark wrote:

If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall
plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains
drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?

Plenty of folk here will tell you that you can't use "SDS drill", "OK"
and "40 quid" in the same sentence; all very well but if you're on a
budget, need an occasional heavy-duty drill and won't be giving it too
much welly, then IMHO you're much better off with an el cheapo SDS drill
than not having bought one at all, because you can't afford and/or
justify one.

I went for the cheapo Screwfix SDS machine (ref 94802) at 30 quid about
a year or so ago instead of hiring something at the time (the cost would
have been about the same), and I really can't grumble about it. It has
rotary stop, has drilled plenty of big holes through brickwork and never
grumbled at being used as a demolition hammer on quite a few occasions.
Were it to give up the ghost tomorrow I'd almost certainly replace it
with a better one next time (having been thoroughly converted into the
joys of SDS!) but I can't say I regret having bought the Screwfix one,
and you sound about where I was a year ago!

It's only real drawback is the weight - 5.2kg is a lot of drill to hold
up for a long time. Better, more expensive models are (maybe
paradoxically!?) a lot lighter.

David
Rod Hewitt

Lobster wrote in
:

I went for the cheapo Screwfix SDS machine (ref 94802) at 30 quid
about a year or so ago instead of hiring something at the time (the
cost would have been about the same), and I really can't grumble about
it. It has rotary stop, has drilled plenty of big holes through
brickwork and never grumbled at being used as a demolition hammer on
quite a few occasions.
Were it to give up the ghost tomorrow I'd almost certainly replace
it
with a better one next time (having been thoroughly converted into the
joys of SDS!) but I can't say I regret having bought the Screwfix one,
and you sound about where I was a year ago!

It's only real drawback is the weight - 5.2kg is a lot of drill to
hold up for a long time. Better, more expensive models are (maybe
paradoxically!?) a lot lighter.

What Lobster said. Only gripe is that it doesn't lock the bit when using
rotary stop - so it just wanders round randomly. However, I am now aware of
that so would ensure that a replacement did have that feature.

Moved a wardrobe the other day and saw the evidence that when I first used
the drill it had actually gone right through the wall. I became a bit more
careful after that...

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andy Hall

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:06:01 +0000, Mark wrote:

Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over £150 for just a drill.

I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make
of drill would be suitable.

TIA, Mark

If a significant part of the work is going to be masonry, you would be
better off getting a corded SDS drill for about +/- £100 from DeWalt,
Bosch or Makita.

Then stretch the budget on a different occasion and get a Makita 14.4v
cordless drill for light to medium repetitive work where the light
weight helps.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Makita? Look at the price.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:21:37 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:06:01 +0000, Mark wrote:

If a significant part of the work is going to be masonry, you would be
better off getting a corded SDS drill for about +/- £100 from DeWalt,
Bosch or Makita.

Then stretch the budget on a different occasion and get a Makita 14.4v
cordless drill for light to medium repetitive work where the light
weight helps.

Makita? Look at the price.

Look at the quality, performance, ease of use and maintainability.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

IMM wrote:

Makita? Look at the price.

As you have admitted yourself before, the Makita HR2450 SDS is
competitively priced (i.e. in the 80 - 120 figure you mention above).

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Makita? Look at the price.

As you have admitted yourself before, the Makita HR2450 SDS is
competitively priced

The rest are rip-off

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

Makita? Look at the price.

As you have admitted yourself before, the Makita HR2450 SDS is
competitively priced

The rest are rip-off

So by implication you are agreeing that the HR2450 is a good value then?

You may also recall a thread a while back where I demonstrated that this
oft repeated "Rip off" claim of yours does not hold up to examination
when comparing like with like.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2fdef0e0897d85

--
Cheers,

John.

Mark

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:37:38 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

IMM wrote:

Makita? Look at the price.

As you have admitted yourself before, the Makita HR2450 SDS is
competitively priced (i.e. in the 80 - 120 figure you mention above).

Where can you get one of these for £80? ;-)

Mark

John Rumm

wrote:

IMM wrote:

Makita? Look at the price.

As you have admitted yourself before, the Makita HR2450 SDS is
competitively priced (i.e. in the 80 - 120 figure you mention above).

Where can you get one of these for £80? ;-)

Best I have seen it is for about 100... You may be able to get the
version without roto stop for 80.

--
Cheers,

John.

TonyK

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over £150 for just a drill.

I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make
of drill would be suitable.

TIA, Mark

As everyione has said, get a SDS drill for just under the £100 mark, then a
semi-decent cordless drill/driver for about £50-£80. Do not waste time with
cheap crap it'll just let you down when you need it most.

On the SDS front look for one with rotation stop so you can use it for light
chiselling and/or breaking.

IMM

"TonyK" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Wickes (rebadged Kress from Germany) have uprated the 500w ASDS to 650. At
around £100-110. Their grey pro range (Kress again in most cases) is
excellent value in drill/drivers.

StealthUK

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am
unsure of which sort to go for.

I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted
wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!

I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our

brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I
don't want to spend over =A3150 for just a drill.

All drills struggle compared to an SDS when it comes to drilling
brick/concrete.
There are plenty of budget drills that will easily last for the work
you're looking at.
Don't just focus on the drill though - make sure you have some decent
drill bits!

Dave

Agreed on the SDS front, you can never go back. I bought my Nu Tool
Pro from Markro for about =A330 and it's done a great job, has rotary
stop & a selection of bits. More than good enough for the serious DIY
guy & I can't hire one for =A330.

Again with drill drivers, the B&Q Performance Pro blue drill drivers
are vbery good for the price, I have a couple. More than adequate for
DIY use IMO.

Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster
walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.

Like for like, a cordless drill will not have the same power as a mains
one. And a task which makes a mains one struggle will flatten the battery
in a cordless in short order. In general.
For drilling the odd hole in wood, or driving screws etc, a cordless is
fine. For drilling lots of holes in hard masonry, get a mains SDS.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.