Abdullah Eyles

Default Gabions...

Did anyone use Gabions in their garden? or anywhere else for that
matter?

(If you don't know what they are, look at
http://www.weld-mesh.com/gabions.htm)

I am thinking to use them as a retaining wall along the edge of our
garden... (more natural then concrete, cheaper than dry stone
walling...)
Al Reynolds

"Abdullah Eyles" wrote in message
om...
Did anyone use Gabions in their garden? or anywhere else for that
matter?

(If you don't know what they are, look at
http://www.weld-mesh.com/gabions.htm)

I am thinking to use them as a retaining wall along the edge of our
garden... (more natural then concrete, cheaper than dry stone
walling...)

I am thinking of using them together with geotextile fabric to
build a mechanically-stabilised earth (MSE) retaining wall.
My garden is so inaccesible to any roads that I would have
no hope of getting in enough rock to fill them up.

I had a quick look on the net and couldn't find many examples
of them being used domestically.

Al

fred

In article ,
Abdullah Eyles writes
Did anyone use Gabions in their garden? or anywhere else for that
matter?

(If you don't know what they are, look at
http://www.weld-mesh.com/gabions.htm)

I am thinking to use them as a retaining wall along the edge of our
garden... (more natural then concrete, cheaper than dry stone
walling...)

I helped put some in as sea defences where the property line of a relatives
garden was under threat. The idea was to semi-bury them to counter some
local erosion. They worked like a treat and I would happily use them again.
Size was 2x1x1m, laid in one layer, wired together.

While they can be machine filled, I would recommend hand placement of
at least the front face and top. A few cheap skates will fill the core with
smaller stones & junk almost down to gravel, but I wouldn't put anything in
that would fall through the mesh.

Verdict: Can look great if carefully filled with semi-regular stones, but can
look awful if grab filled with irregular machine crushings. Easier than laying
blocks, but don't underestimate the effort in filling a dozen or so 2m3
boxes.

15 years on ours are looking good with galvanising still in tact, even with
seawater washing.
--
fred
Broadback

fred wrote:
In article ,
Abdullah Eyles writes

Did anyone use Gabions in their garden? or anywhere else for that
matter?

(If you don't know what they are, look at
http://www.weld-mesh.com/gabions.htm)

I am thinking to use them as a retaining wall along the edge of our
garden... (more natural then concrete, cheaper than dry stone
walling...)

I asked questions about a retaining wall and wondered about sleeper
walls, Cormic strongly recommended gambions. In the event I used a hard
landscape firm who used sleepers slotted into girders.
As usual Cormic was correct, three years later and I have outward
movement. :-(
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.