fred

Default Gabions...

In article ,
Abdullah Eyles writes
Did anyone use Gabions in their garden? or anywhere else for that
matter?

(If you don't know what they are, look at
http://www.weld-mesh.com/gabions.htm)

I am thinking to use them as a retaining wall along the edge of our
garden... (more natural then concrete, cheaper than dry stone
walling...)

I helped put some in as sea defences where the property line of a relatives
garden was under threat. The idea was to semi-bury them to counter some
local erosion. They worked like a treat and I would happily use them again.
Size was 2x1x1m, laid in one layer, wired together.

While they can be machine filled, I would recommend hand placement of
at least the front face and top. A few cheap skates will fill the core with
smaller stones & junk almost down to gravel, but I wouldn't put anything in
that would fall through the mesh.

Verdict: Can look great if carefully filled with semi-regular stones, but can
look awful if grab filled with irregular machine crushings. Easier than laying
blocks, but don't underestimate the effort in filling a dozen or so 2m3
boxes.

15 years on ours are looking good with galvanising still in tact, even with
seawater washing.
--
fred