news.tiscali.co.uk

Default breaking apart doors

Hi- I've got a couple of doors I'd like to break down so I can replace the 2
bottom panes with a panel.

I can only do this if I can take the door apart - is this possible?

The door is hardwood.

Ian Stirling

news.tiscali.co.uk wrote:
Hi- I've got a couple of doors I'd like to break down so I can replace the 2
bottom panes with a panel.

I can only do this if I can take the door apart - is this possible?

Yes.
It may be easy, hard, or almost impossible.
You need to examine the door, and see if you can find out how it's been
put together.
It may be pegged with dowels, pinned mortices, deep glued mortices, ...

With some of these, you may be able to free them, drill out the dowels, or
drive out the pins, ...

However, with some construction methods, it's going to be nearly impossible
to dissasemble, and even harder to do without much damage.

Peter Ashby

news.tiscali.co.uk wrote:

Hi- I've got a couple of doors I'd like to break down so I can replace the 2
bottom panes with a panel.

I can only do this if I can take the door apart - is this possible?

The door is hardwood.

It all depends on the glue used. If it is a modern resin glue your
chances of separating the joint cleanly are not good. Modern glues give
a joint which is stronger than the wood, so to break it you need to
break the wood. You could try steaming the joints or soaking them in
solvents. Be aware that the joints may be pegged, from one side only or
right through, if the door is painted this will not be obvious. If there
are pegs you will have to drill them out, however that may not mean the
glue will let go or there is no glue.

Having said that there is a solution. Break the glass panel and remove
it. Get, rent, borrow a router and a straight cutter with a top bearing.
On the inside of the door place a straight edge xmm in from the inside
ege with x being the depth of the slot the panel was in. Setting a depth
to remove only the inside portion of the slot remove it. Insert new
panel, holding it in place with mouldings stained to match the door.

Peter
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:02:53 -0000, "news.tiscali.co.uk"
wrote:

Hi- I've got a couple of doors I'd like to break down so I can replace the 2
bottom panes with a panel.

The bottom panes are held in by a beading on each side. On an original
door, these were probably formed in-situ by machining a groove into
the door parts. However if you get a suitable saw (I use a Japanese
azebiki, from Axminster, which is ideal for this) you can saw the
beads on one side free from the door rails. This should then allow the
panes to fall out (they may ned help). Make new panes, put them back
into the door, then hold them in with either the old beading or some
new beading.

Advice needed on putting poly on wood interior doors Shawn Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 05:26 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
New Front Door(s) Bruce Home Repair 4 December 10th 03 12:37 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM