Nigel

Default light wiring

Hi

Whilst doing the good samaritan bit for a pensioner friend he asked if
I would change the batten light holders in his flat as he had smashed
one. I am no electrician but managed to change three, the wiring being
50 years old and red cloth covered wire and black cloth wire. So two
wires no problem, three battens changed.

The batten he had smashed disintegrated to dust after 25 solid years
of capstan full strength cigarettes. This had left a couple of bare
wires showing. I unscrewed what was left and found not 2 but 5 wires.
3 red, of which 2 were twisted together at the bare wire and 2
separate black wires. Obviously, the attempt I made ended in a blown
lighting circuit fuse and I beat a hasty retreat to find the answer to
this problem and left him using table lamps for the weekend.

The batten holder has three sets of attachments for live at one end
and neutral at the other and unmarked in the middle.

Can someone point out the basics of what I should do with these 5
wires to get his circuit back on. Any help would be really
appreciated.
Ian Stirling

Nigel wrote:
Hi

Whilst doing the good samaritan bit for a pensioner friend he asked if
I would change the batten light holders in his flat as he had smashed
one. I am no electrician but managed to change three, the wiring being
50 years old and red cloth covered wire and black cloth wire. So two
wires no problem, three battens changed.

The batten he had smashed disintegrated to dust after 25 solid years
of capstan full strength cigarettes. This had left a couple of bare
wires showing. I unscrewed what was left and found not 2 but 5 wires.
3 red, of which 2 were twisted together at the bare wire and 2
separate black wires. Obviously, the attempt I made ended in a blown
lighting circuit fuse and I beat a hasty retreat to find the answer to
this problem and left him using table lamps for the weekend.

My guess is that this is the remains of a fan circuit.
BigWallop

"Nigel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You really need to look inside the switch which controls this light fitting. If it
has one red and one black wire in it then it makes life a bit easier for you. If it
has two red wires then you're going to need a meter or electrical tester to find the
main supply side of the circuit before you can get things right.

The batten holder should have a few terminals marked as "loop" or are unmarked inside
it so this is great for what you're going to do next.

If the switch has one red and one black wire, it is the black wire which becomes the
one that makes the light go on and off. The red wire is the supply to the switch.

At the batten holder you will need to connect the black wire from the switch to the L
terminal side even though this contradicts conventional wiring schemes. This will
leave you with one other black wire as the neutral (N) side of the batten holder. All
the red wires would then be connected to the loop through section in the batten
holder.

If the switch has two red wires in it, then you will need to find the red wire from
the three reds at the batten holder to find the one which supplies the lighting
circuit.

With three red wires, two of them will be connected together in the loop section of
the terminals, and one is then connected to the L side of the batten holder. The two
black wires are then connected together in the N side of the batten holder.

Remember to look inside the switch first and find out if it has one red and one black,
or if it has two reds. And also remember to turn the power OFF before you do anything
to the wiring, even in between doing any other tests on the circuits.

Also, this site might give some pointers on how things should go together:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

This site should also be of some help I think:

http://www.technosolution.co.uk/diy/...Way/oneway.htm Continues on to more
pages.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

terminal side even though this contradicts convensional wiring schemes. This will
leave you with one other black wire as the neutral (N) side of the batten holder. All
the red wires would then be connected to the loop through section in the batten
holder.

If the switch has two red wires in it, then you will need to find the red wire from
the three reds at the batten holder to find the one which supplies the lighting
circuit.

With three red wires, two of them will be connected together in the loop section of
the terminals, and one is then connected to the L side of the batten holder. The two
black wires are then connected together in the N side of the batten holder.

Remember to look inside the switch first and find out if it has one red and one black,
or if it has two reds. And also rememebr to turn the power OFF before you do anything
to the wiring, even in between doing any other tests on the circuits.

Also, this site might give some pointers on how things should go together:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...d_switches.htm

The batten holder has three sets of attachments for live at one end
and neutral at the other and unmarked in the middle.

Can someone point out the basics of what I should do with these 5
wires to get his circuit back on. Any help would be really
appreciated.

N. Thornton

(Nigel) wrote in message . com...
[...]

If you dont know what youre doing, unconnecting any wires you
connected together should enable the lighting circuit to be on again.
If you dont know what you connected, separating all of them should
allow much of the lighting circuit to work, if not all. But if it has
green wires too, dont disconnect those from any other green wire.

This job is one you should not do unless you understand what youre
doing - I guess you now know why.

There are also legal issues with what youre doing, I dont know if you
realise that. For that reason I'd suggest calling an electrician to
fix it. If you decide to do it regardless, you need to at least ensure
any bare wires are insulated. There are other requirements as well of
course.

Regards, NT
Nigel

Thanks for all your input it is really appreciated. I will take a look
at the switch and see if this helps explain the wiring and if it does
I will follow those excellent instructions. If it is still confusing I
will obtain professional help as suggested. I obviously insulated the
wires and removed the lighting fuse before leaving him to a weekend of
table lamps.

Thanks also for the links they are very useful.
John McLean

Word of warning
This "cloth covered cable" is known as v.r.i. or vulcanised rubber
insulated, phased out when p.v.c.i. came on the scene in the 50's/60's. Any
installation which still has this is just heading for a moth party.
Jay
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
(Nigel) wrote:

Thanks for all your input it is really appreciated. I will take a look
at the switch and see if this helps explain the wiring and if it does
I will follow those excellent instructions. If it is still confusing I
will obtain professional help as suggested. I obviously insulated the
wires and removed the lighting fuse before leaving him to a weekend of
table lamps.

Thanks also for the links they are very useful.

Just as an aside, I would suggest that any installation which has
cloth-covered cables, no (apparent) earth and fittings "disintegrat[ing]
to dust" needs a thorough check-over and probably a re-wire. How do the
sockets look?

Hwyl!

M.

Please don't go there, he's having enough trouble with the lights as it

is. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
John McLean wrote:
This "cloth covered cable" is known as v.r.i. or vulcanised rubber
insulated,

In my day it was VIR - vulcanised india rubber.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:51:54 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In my day it was VIR - vulcanised india rubber.

In my day it was that real old rubber cable that needs ripping out and
rewiring otherwise I'm not touching it!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
In my day it was VIR - vulcanised india rubber.

In my day it was that real old rubber cable that needs ripping out and
rewiring otherwise I'm not touching it!

Absolutely. It's possible to patch lead covered as it's often in perfect
condition if you strip it back a bit, so might do as a stopgap. But rubber
covered - when it goes it's gone...

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Christian McArdle

This "cloth covered cable" is known as v.r.i. or vulcanised rubber

Yes. Any responsible electrician wouldn't touch it, except to remove it. How
could they issue a minor works certificate on something made from 50+ year
old rubber? Their indemnity insurance provider would go spare. You could
probably detect the earth leakage with a 2 quid multimeter from Lidl!

It really does sound like the whole house needs an pretty urgent rewiring.
The rubber only really lasts 25 years with any reliability. It may not be
long before the whole house burns down. Frequently, the insulation will have
perished to the extent that only an air gap exists over sections of cable.

If the house is rented, the owner should replace the wiring, as it isn't
really suitable for human habitation. If he owns the house, and can't afford
such major work, it may be possible to get the local council to pay for the
work (possibly in exchange for a charge on the property which is paid back
by his estate, hopefully in many more years time than if he gets torched in
his sleep). Also, the fact it has been rewired would mean much of the cost
would be recovered by increased sale price. It may be very difficult to sell
a house with rubber wiring and would always be flagged by a survey.

He may wish to contact Age Concern for advice, as the help available changes
frequently. See:
http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc.../FS13FINAL.pdf

Costs for a rewire are obviously very variable, and depend on the size of
property, local conditions, specification etc. However, for an extremely
rough guide, around 3000 quid would leave a small amount change for many
jobs of this nature.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Lurch wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:51:54 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In my day it was VIR - vulcanised india rubber.

In my day it was that real old rubber cable that needs ripping out and
rewiring otherwise I'm not touching it!

Thats the secret. Don't touch it. It works FINE, but the MOMENT you
touch it the insulation disintegrates and you have to re-wire. In me
mums house its still fine, laid in screwed togther earthed metal ducting.

Wiring Wickes security light 4-LOM UK diy 11 March 11th 04 11:04 PM
Light Socket Wiring Query L Reid UK diy 6 December 11th 03 10:36 AM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
light wiring problem I J H UK diy 7 September 8th 03 09:55 PM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 10:54 PM