Chris Kaley

Default Screwfix - substandard tools

I'm rebuiding my kitchen.

One of the more onerous tasks has been to remove all the existing tiles (all
over every wall....) So I purchased a Bosch SDS drill for this job (and
others) and it's great.

Also purchased the tile removing chisel.

The first morning's use, it broke. I ordered two more from Screwfix, and
paid extra for rapid delivery. They arrived today, and I started work
again. This time the tile removing bit bent after half an hour. Now, I've
followed all the instructions to the letter - let the weight of the machine
do the work, and kept the drill shank regularly greased. I would have
expected these things to lat a bit longer than that.

Last year, I did the bathroom and hired the SDS drill and tile-remover, and
did the whole room with no problems.

Has anyone else experienced similar short life with drill-bits, etc?

Screwfix will replace the bits free of charge, bless 'em, but couldn't let
me speak to anyone about the problem from a technical aspect, as I feel
these items are not fit for purpose.

Chris

Chris Kaley wrote:
[...]

I have found that this area is where ScrewFix are weakest, things like
screwdriver bits, tap and die sets, etc. I suppose these 'disposable'
items are the ones that have most price pressure on them as they
aren't "fun" things to buy like power tools and suchlike. I would
guess also that they are the most likely items to *really* cost what
you're paying so price cuts almost always mean quality cuts as well.

--
Chris Green
Christian McArdle

Also purchased the tile removing chisel.

The first morning's use, it broke.

What is a tile removal chisel like? I just use the cheap cold chisel that
came with my Nu-Tool. It performs flawlessly.

Christian.

David

"Chris Kaley" wrote in message
news
[...]

I purchased what I assume to be the exact same bit a couple of months ago
when removing all the tiles from the bathroom and had no problems. But I'm
sure that there was someone else around here who was complainaing about it
not all that long ago.

I remember reading the manufacturers instructions that come with the tool
when the bit arrived and it certainly sounds like they had quite a few
problems with breakages

I also bought a channeling bit which is a roughly similar design with offset
shaft, and this has had a lot rougher treatment than the tile remover with
no ill efects to date.

cheers

David

rrh

Haven't had this problem myself yet with Bosch SDS & 75mm tile-removing
chisel from Screwfix, but I must admit I've only used it so far with vinyl
tiles (very tough ones, in my defence!). Assuming we are talking about the
same thing these chisels cost £29.99 a throw (c.f. a fraction of that for an
"ordinary" sized SDS chisel) so they damn well should be fit for purpose.

Chris Kaley

It's basically a flat chisel with an offset bend in the shaft to allow you
to have an angle of attack, but with the blade flat against the wall.

The shank is obviously of insufficient strength, and bends and eventually
fractures.

Chris
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Also purchased the tile removing chisel.

The first morning's use, it broke.

What is a tile removal chisel like? I just use the cheap cold chisel that
came with my Nu-Tool. It performs flawlessly.

Christian.

Richard Savage

Don't know if it's any consolation but I took all the tiles off my
kitchen using a 10 quid thing from Tilemates or Tiles R Us.

Basically it's an A5 size bit of steel plate sharpened along one short
edge with a large chunk of steel attached to the other short edge. A
short handle is attached to the weight. You drag it down the wall using
the weight to give you a bit of 'persuading force' with the sharp edge
between the back of the tiles and the wall. Frighteningly crude and
effective.

Richard

jacob

I've had crap tools from Screwyou to. Some wire strippers - they
replaced them once another crap pair so I complained again and bought
some better ones. Got refund but they didn't want me to return them
which means that they knew they were crap. I gave them away (2 pairs)
as christmas presents.
Another tool was wire cutters - good quality but badly adjusted with
signs of having been hammered a bit to tighten them up - in other
words someone elses returns. OK now i've hammered them a bit more.
So watch out Caveat emptor etc.

cheers

Jacob

Screwfix deliveries (not again!) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 May 10th 04 10:40 PM
Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM