N. Thornton

Default ODPM admits Part P consulation flawed

Fwom:Owain )
"N. Thornton" wrote

| If what you say is entirely correct, part P should not affect

domestic
| sparkies in any way at all, since its not their responsibility to

do
| the BCO bit.

But the trade organisations are starting to advertise heavily that

*only*
their members are allowed to do electrical work (without BCO

involvement).
This places non-members of a scheme at a commercial disadvantage,

especially
when it comes to the jobbing works carried out by many smaller

contractors.
There is also the probability that a householder will raise a stink

of the
"you worked on my wiring when you're not allowed to" and complain to
Watchdog about unregistered electricians.

This isnt making sense in my small brain. If I'm correct, you said

1. domestic electricians are not responsible for getting works
cetrified under part P, the house holder is.
2. they dont need any qualifications to operate

but now you say that for some reason theyre not allowed to work on
house wiring. Where am I cornfused?

NT
Tony Bryer

In article , N.
Thornton wrote:
This isnt making sense in my small brain. If I'm correct, you
said

1. domestic electricians are not responsible for getting works
cetrified under part P, the house holder is.

2. they dont need any qualifications to operate

but now you say that for some reason theyre not allowed to work
on house wiring. Where am I cornfused?

If you get a dodgy electrician to rewire your house and it comes
to the notice of the LA and they decide to take legal action it
will be against you - either for failure to give notice or
serving a notice on *you* requiring the work to be brought into
compliance. And if you fail to do the necessary you (in theory)
will end up in court. You would of course have a separate right
to sue to sue the contractor.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Owain

"N. Thornton" wrote
| There is also the probability that a householder will raise a
| stink of the you worked on my wiring when you're not allowed
| to" and complain to Watchdog about unregistered electricians.
| This isnt making sense in my small brain. If I'm correct, you said
| 1. domestic electricians are not responsible for getting works
| cetrified under part P, the house holder is.
| 2. they dont need any qualifications to operate
| but now you say that for some reason theyre not allowed to work
| on house wiring. Where am I cornfused?

I mean the customers would raise a stink if they find out (especially after
the event) that the 'professional' they employed to do the work was not
legally able to do so without involving Building Control, they will
complain, and something like Watchdog will then jump on the bandwagon of
rogue tradesmen misleading customers and doing work which is illegal.

If contractors tell customers that as well as the invoice £ they are going
to have to pay £ to Building Control, that places that contractor at a
commercial disadvantage compared to a registered one.

Owain

Tony Bryer

In article , Owain wrote:
If contractors tell customers that as well as the invoice
£ they are going to have to pay £ to Building Control, that
places that contractor at a commercial disadvantage compared
to a registered one.

And vice versa. As I suggested a week or two back ISTM that the
best strategy is to get Part P registered and make a big noise
about it on every quotation you send out. The cost of being
registered probably ups your charge rate by 2-3%. I would have
thought that most people (round here anyway) would readily pay 5%
more for someone who could say "we know what we're doing, we do
it right, we test, and we give you the paperwork to prove it".