andrewpreece

Default Wylex or Volex Consumer units?

Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

BigWallop

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP

switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though

the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

I have found the Volex equipment to be slightly more flimsy than the other
makes, if that's any help.

Andrew Chesters

andrewpreece wrote:
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

Just finished ;-) fitting a Wylex (from Screwfix as it happens), no
problems. Case is a bit bendy, but OK.

Andrew
Rick Hughes

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP

switch

I have used Wylex many times over the years - it is very robust.
BTW - have you had a look in B&Q, they had some superb deals on for
pre-assembled MK & Wylex CU's.

Rick

Andy Burns

Rick Hughes wrote:

have you had a look in B&Q, they had some superb deals on for
pre-assembled MK & Wylex CU's.

Screwfix have good deals on several pre-assembled, but wanted more for
an empty MK than Screwfix did for the pre-assembled version ...

Steven Briggs

In message , andrewpreece
writes
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

The Wylex one is much nicer. Better design & more internal space.
--
steve
Andy Burns

Rick Hughes wrote:

have you had a look in B&Q, they had some superb deals on for
pre-assembled MK & Wylex CU's.

[sorry cancelled attempt lost something in the editing]

Screwfix have good deals on several pre-assembled, but B&Q wanted more
for an empty MK than Screwfix did for the pre-assembled version ...
Mike

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
In message , andrewpreece
writes
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP

switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though

the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

The Wylex one is much nicer. Better design & more internal space.

It does ? I'd hate to see the Volex then as the insides of my pair of
Wylexes are stuffed full.
Certainly no room for individual RCBOs.

Christian McArdle

It does ? I'd hate to see the Volex then as the insides of my pair of
Wylexes are stuffed full.
Certainly no room for individual RCBOs.

I find RCBOs make the wiring up simpler, rather than more complicated, as
the live and neutral go to approximately the same place, rather than snaking
their different paths.

Christian.

Steven Briggs

In message , Mike
writes

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
In message , andrewpreece
writes
Hello All,
Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units
offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP

switch
+ 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though

the
first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any
opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

The Wylex one is much nicer. Better design & more internal space.

It does ? I'd hate to see the Volex then as the insides of my pair of
Wylexes are stuffed full.
Certainly no room for individual RCBOs.

Yes. The Wylex is about 15-20mm taller than the Volex, and that extra
height manifests itself as extra space in the wiring area above the
MCBs. I had 2 volex units from SF that both arrived broken. At one point
I had a Volex & Wylex side by side at work, (the Wylex just delivered,
the broken Volex ready to be sent back). All my Engineering colleagues
instantly agreed the Wylex was a much better unit. A problem with the
Volex was that the scrap of DIN rail the breakers are on is close to the
back, i.e. very tight to get the cables behind if you had bottom entry
routing.

--
steve

Rick Hughes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:

have you had a look in B&Q, they had some superb deals on for
pre-assembled MK & Wylex CU's.

[sorry cancelled attempt lost something in the editing]

Screwfix have good deals on several pre-assembled, but B&Q wanted more
for an empty MK than Screwfix did for the pre-assembled version ...

Must have been one of their loss leaders ... in my B&Q warehouse they were
selling 16 way and split load 16 ways cheaper than I have bought them at
wholesalers.

They were the same with cement about a year ago - cheaper than the builders
merchants where I have trade accounts.

Rick

andrewpreece

[...]

Thanks All,
I've got the Wylex: in fact, I belatedly consulted the uk.d-i-y
archive after I posted since I couldn't see my post come up, and the
discussions in the archive tend to favour the Wylex over the Volex as well,
though of course, the Wylex is a bit more expensive.

cheers,

Andy.

three consumer units in new house Jim Main UK diy 1 November 20th 04 04:38 PM
Consumer Units Tom UK diy 4 October 22nd 04 08:16 AM
Fitting a Wylex Consumer unit with spur to shed [email protected] UK diy 3 December 10th 03 01:05 PM
Volex or Wylex consumer unit Kalico UK diy 18 December 6th 03 02:34 PM
Longish query - circuit breakers in consumer units David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 November 9th 03 12:33 PM