Kalico

Default Volex or Wylex consumer unit

I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

BillR

Kalico wrote:
I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

I went for the Wylex one as the quality of the other was not rated good on
the SF forum.
Also my old metal clad fusebox was Wylex and it had the incoming switch on
the RHS same as the their new one. Whereas the Volex main switch is on the
LHS.
So I figured it would be easier to reconnect the existing meter tails to the
Wylex, which indeed it was.
It was doodle to fit I only had the power off for 1 hour.

The SF price is very good. The nearest B&Q have is a special offer 8 way kit
for 80 quid.

harrogate

"Kalico" wrote in message
I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

--
Woody

Dave Stanton

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:19:19 +0000, Kalico wrote:

I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

At Clearlight, Worcester branch, they are doing Wylex NHRS 12 way Split
load CU, 100A incomer, 80A RCD with nine mcbs of your choice for £68
approx plus vat. I have fitted 2 of these in last few weeks.

Dave

Frisket

"Kalico" wrote in message
I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

We fit both on our sites and the only problem we've noticed is with the
volex copper bar from the main switch to the neutral bar. On odd occasions
it was behind the clamp rather than inside it and although our guys went
through the board making sure the screws were tight the neutral connection
wasn't made properly and , a few weeks down the line, the connection got hot
enough to burn the main switch out. Obviously it's something they now pay
particular attention to.
Richard

Kalico

"harrogate" wrote in message
[snip]
Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

Well, I do like MK kit but the price is hard to justify.

Is it soooo much better than Wylex for residential work?

Kalico

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news [snip]
At Clearlight, Worcester branch, they are doing Wylex NHRS 12 way Split
load CU, 100A incomer, 80A RCD with nine mcbs of your choice for £68
approx plus vat. I have fitted 2 of these in last few weeks.

Do you have a web address for them?

BillR

Kalico wrote:
"harrogate" wrote in message
[snip]
Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

Well, I do like MK kit but the price is hard to justify.

Is it soooo much better than Wylex for residential work?

No, I looked at both in detail and the price difference isn't justified.
The dearest stuff in B&Q is GE and it didn't impress me at all.

Anyway my old Wylex metal clad fusebox has done well in this property for
the last 22 years.
Very solidly made I noted a I chucked it away..

MK I use for visible elec stuff like switches and socket because it looks
nicer..

BillR

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:19:19 +0000, Kalico wrote:

I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

At Clearlight, Worcester branch, they are doing Wylex NHRS 12 way
Split load CU, 100A incomer, 80A RCD with nine mcbs of your choice
for £68 approx plus vat. I have fitted 2 of these in last few weeks.

Dave

Screwfix are doing the same thing prebuilt with 10 mcbs for £69.99 inc VAT.
That would inc delivery too because its above their minimum order value.

BillR

Frisket wrote:
"Kalico" wrote in message
I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

We fit both on our sites and the only problem we've noticed is with
the volex copper bar from the main switch to the neutral bar. On odd
occasions it was behind the clamp rather than inside it and although
our guys went through the board making sure the screws were tight the
neutral connection wasn't made properly and , a few weeks down the
line, the connection got hot enough to burn the main switch out.
Obviously it's something they now pay particular attention to.
Richard

That does seem to be a basic oversight by professional fitters.
This is what gives so called pros a bad name.
How did they get in the bottom mounting screws without removing the mcb
rails? maybe they didn't bother with those..
I reckon a careful DIYer who has the time and incentive to do a quality job
will often end up with a better result than a tradesman who is rushing to
get to the next job.

Steven Briggs

In message , Kalico
writes
I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

http://tinyurl.com/xut1 £70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

http://tinyurl.com/xust £60

Thanks for any advice
Rob

I have just bought the Volex one from SF.
Seems good VFM. I thought about using MK (I've used MK for most of the
other fittings in the house), but the extra price isn't justified by the
slightly better quality.

Only problem is SF don't pack things very well. The CU (in its cardboard
box) was just wrapped in a plastic box and consigned to fate with Lynx
or Parcelfarce. First one I got had a large crack on the cover, the
replacement had a small bit of cover broken off above the RCD.

--
Steven Briggs

Andy Hall

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:47:03 -0000, "Kalico" wrote:

"harrogate" wrote in message
[snip]
Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

Well, I do like MK kit but the price is hard to justify.

Is it soooo much better than Wylex for residential work?

I've found so....

I threw out the Wylex stuff that was originally used in the house.
I don't like their "standard" range with the fixed bus bars etc. and
will only use DIN based units. They do have one of these and to some
extent it seems to me that there is then less to choose between
manufacturers. All seem to have the same configuration of rail in
the middle and neutral and earth bus bars at the top - not a lot of
scope for creativity.

Nevertheless, I feel that MK's build quality is somewhat better from
what I have seen, so have standardised on that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:52:30 -0000, harrogate wrote:

Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

MK have a nasty habit of making subtle design changes that means in 5
years time when you want to add another circuit or make another trival
change you can't source the required matching part. You end up having
to replace the whole damn thing or bodge it...

My preference is for Wylex, cheaper and no sillyness with design
tweaks.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

ARWadsworth

I threw out the Wylex stuff that was originally used in the house.
I don't like their "standard" range with the fixed bus bars etc. and
will only use DIN based units. They do have one of these and to some
extent it seems to me that there is then less to choose between
manufacturers. All seem to have the same configuration of rail in
the middle and neutral and earth bus bars at the top - not a lot of
scope for creativity.

I am not surprised they have the same configuration. Crabtree, Wylex, Volex,
and some others are all made by the same company.

--
Adam

Andy Hall

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:12:42 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I threw out the Wylex stuff that was originally used in the house.
I don't like their "standard" range with the fixed bus bars etc. and
will only use DIN based units. They do have one of these and to some
extent it seems to me that there is then less to choose between
manufacturers. All seem to have the same configuration of rail in
the middle and neutral and earth bus bars at the top - not a lot of
scope for creativity.

I am not surprised they have the same configuration. Crabtree, Wylex, Volex,
and some others are all made by the same company.

Electrium.

They have copied the MK Sentry configuration.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Kalico

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:52:30 -0000, harrogate wrote:

Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

MK have a nasty habit of making subtle design changes that means in 5
years time when you want to add another circuit or make another trival
change you can't source the required matching part. You end up having
to replace the whole damn thing or bodge it...

My preference is for Wylex, cheaper and no sillyness with design
tweaks.

--

Nice advice and something I have found too.
Thanks Dave

Dave Stanton

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:48:37 +0000, Kalico wrote:

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
At Clearlight, Worcester branch, they are doing Wylex NHRS 12 way Split
load CU, 100A incomer, 80A RCD with nine mcbs of your choice for £68
approx plus vat. I have fitted 2 of these in last few weeks.

Do you have a web address for them?

www.clearlight.co.uk

Dave

Dave Stanton

Screwfix are doing the same thing prebuilt with 10 mcbs for £69.99 inc
VAT. That would inc delivery too because its above their minimum order
value.

Fair point, Clearlight are my local wholesaler, I did'nt say that was what
I paid !!!.

Dave

BillR

Kalico wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:52:30 -0000, harrogate wrote:

Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

MK have a nasty habit of making subtle design changes that means in 5
years time when you want to add another circuit or make another
trival change you can't source the required matching part. You end
up having to replace the whole damn thing or bodge it...

My preference is for Wylex, cheaper and no sillyness with design
tweaks.

--

Nice advice and something I have found too.
Thanks Dave

One point, don't be tempted to use non-Wylex mcbs in their CU. They probably
won't fit on the live busbar.
The Wylex ones seem ok on other DIN rail makes.