Default Random RCD tripping

I changed our old fuse box for a split load CU a few months back. We were
having a problem with the RCD tripping which I put down to a faulty iron -
replacing the iron seemed to cure the problem. However in the last week or
so we have had 3 trips at random times, both while the house was occupied
and unoccupied. Anyone have any tips on tracking down the problem?

The RCD currently covers 3 ring mains - upstairs/downstairs/kitchen - I
guess one option is to transfer a couple of rings to the unprotected side
and see if the trips carry on, and if so keep swapping them until they stop,
which would isolate the problem circuit but still not the precise problem.

cheers

Dave.

The Natural Philosopher

a wrote:

I changed our old fuse box for a split load CU a few months back. We were
having a problem with the RCD tripping which I put down to a faulty iron -
replacing the iron seemed to cure the problem. However in the last week or
so we have had 3 trips at random times, both while the house was occupied
and unoccupied. Anyone have any tips on tracking down the problem?

The RCD currently covers 3 ring mains - upstairs/downstairs/kitchen - I
guess one option is to transfer a couple of rings to the unprotected side
and see if the trips carry on, and if so keep swapping them until they stop,
which would isolate the problem circuit but still not the precise problem.

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that were
on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..

An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.

If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and disconnecrt
reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to tehneutral busbar.

cheers

Dave.

Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that were
on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..

An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.

If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and disconnecrt
reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to tehneutral busbar.

Plesea slwo dwon yuor tpying, ro yuo'll wera yuore fignres uot ;-)
BigWallop

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that were
on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..

An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.

If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and disconnecrt
reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to tehneutral busbar.

Plesea slwo dwon yuor tpying, ro yuo'll wera yuore fignres uot ;-)

U cood also dinelod easy spell or simethung too cheek the pist bee4
signeding it. It shood wurk on mist noos reedors.

BigWallop

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that were
on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..

An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.

If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and disconnecrt
reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to tehneutral busbar.

Plesea slwo dwon yuor tpying, ro yuo'll wera yuore fignres uot ;-)

I always think of the English under cover cop in Allo' Allo' when I read
TNP's posts.

Ian White

Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that
were on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..
An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.
If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and
disconnecrt reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to
tehneutral busbar.

Plesea slwo dwon yuor tpying, ro yuo'll wera yuore fignres uot ;-)

Let's add up all the neuroelectricity he's making us burn to decode this
stuff, and send him the bill.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had this recently as well. I unpolugged tow mains extesnions that were
on teh outside sockets i teh rain and it stopped..

An earth neutral short, or bad earth neutral leak can cause
unpredictable tripping as loads come on and off.

If you have teh patience, switch everything off n te CU, and disconnecrt
reahs one by ne and se if any show continuity to tehneutral busbar.

Plesea slwo dwon yuor tpying, ro yuo'll wera yuore fignres uot ;-)

U cood also dinelod easy spell or simethung too cheek the pist bee4
signeding it. It shood wurk on mist noos reedors.

duntahvethetime
neck biggeredfrom chaisaw.
Eye buggered from dogwlkintodarktree.

Takeit or leeveit.
Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| neck biggeredfrom chaisaw.

imagines headless TNP

| Eye buggered from dogwlkintodarktree.

Dogwlking can be hazardous ...

Owain

[...]

This is the price tag for installing one RCD on all your rings. Next
time you'll know better. The best approach is to put RCBOs on the
rings, and change the RCD isolator switch for a switch only. Whichever
ring trips, ensure the freezer isnt on it.

There had to be a good reason for spending the extra on RCBOs - doh!
The fridge/freezer is not on the RCD side fortunately ;o)

Now with 3 trips it is relatively easy to locate the dud appliance(s)
with no further cost, simply by moving them between rings. Divide and
conquer, move half at a time to narrow things down quickest.

The problem being the trips are random, and might not happen for several
days. It isnt easy to move stuff around and leave them there for days on
end! At the time of tripping these are the likely things plugged in (but not
necessarily in use, probably on standby if available)...

Upstairs
--------
hi-fi
Phone Charger
tv
multi skt extension - video/dvd/pc/lcd monitor/printer/camera charger
alarm clock
lamp

Down
----
lamp
tv
multi skt extension - video/tivo/digibox/dvd

Kitchen
-------
microwave
kettle
gas oven
washing machine

Would I be right in thinking the only culprits (appliance wise) are those
that have an earth connection - so I can disregard all double insulated apps
(which I think is most of them except kitchen apps)?

Alternatively, insulation test or pat test all appliances, including
the fixed ones. Of course it'll cost you.

NT

Hmmm, last resort...