IMM

Default Air conditioning thread

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes
"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

Course what the International Man of Muddle often forgets is the

sodding
humidity and that theres a heat gain from the equipment you need to

have
in the room Hence that's why I've got aircon and on a day like today

can actually work in the place.

Course when its 30 odd outside the fans that blow the air round that
comes in through the windows manage to get that and the humidity

down,
don't they?.....

Quite. Once again exceedingly grateful that it's 21 indoors and under

45
per cent RH.

21C!! In this weather that is cold. Laws should be introduced to stop
people installing this crap in domestic homes. All is does is increase
global warming.

Well in this instance I'll agree with IMM! 21c is really cool.
However as long as the RH is OK then I don't mind it being hotter..

Go and get your building fabric sorted out: insulation,
shading, ventilation with air drawn from the north side, air extracted at
ceiling level to eliminate the hot pool of heat created by the thermals

mass
of the ceiling, loft fans to draw in cool overnight air cooling the loft
ready for it to absorb the heat of the following day and draw out

excessive
daytime heat, etc. Look at how hot countries do it naturally..

A/C in the UK!! Madness!!

So how do you get the humidity down to a tolerable level?..

Humidity is only a problem when temps are high. Stop heat entering the
house, use cooler air to ventilate and the temp inside will be nowhere near
outside.

---

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

tony sayer wrote:

[...]

Ah right!, so we do need to find a way of controlling the weather then.
What wisdom..

Stop heat entering the
house, use cooler air to ventilate and the temp inside will be nowhere near
outside.

Well!, who'd have thought it. Find some cooler air and all this wont be
a problem then.

Where do yer get this cooler air from then, where do they sell it?..
--
Tony Sayer

Tony Bryer

In article , David
W.E. Roberts wrote:
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

For domestic buildings no, save that the core regulation L1
requires you take adequate steps to ensure the conservation of
fuel and power, and an ambitious BCO might argue that this rules
out a/c if there are suitable alternatives (e.g. blinds etc).

If you go in Home Depot in the USA you'll find an aisle of home
a.c units of different types ready for your trolley (sorry,
cart!). If we ever reach this stage I suspect that it will undo
much of the work done on increasing boiler efficiencies - and you
only have to look at the growth of a/c in cars to see that this
is very possible.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Andy Hall

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:06:52 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

But if it was more humid and all the usual gear was on, then that
wouldn't be the case!..

So you dress for the climate, as they do in hot countries. Sitting in a
room of 21C with a full three piece suit on is silly.

Sometimes those of us who work have to do that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:42:26 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Where do yer get this cooler air from then, where do they sell it?..

All for free. Under vegetation on the north side of the house. Didn't you
know that?

Gooseberry bush?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
The temperature in the SE is expected to reach 32 by Wednesday of this
coming week. This space is therefore reserved for the air conditioning
thread.

By the by, are there any planning or building regulations concerning the
fitting of aircon units and the siting of the external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

---

IMM

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Let me tell you now that there is only me in here.

Had this been anywhere else the shock of seeing beerus guttus

maximus
in
all its glory, would cause all but those with the strongest

constitution
to wilt!..

Pinned down the problem! Obesity! get fit, get slim, then you don't
require cooling. You should take up the Samba, cha cha cha and the

tango.

But not until the weather cools down, eh?

Do it now and the fat will flow off.

Do it now and he'll certainly be cool - lying in a mortuary fridge after
inducing a heart attack.

Tony: No offence meant to you; I have a not insignificant beer gut too :-)

You can all form a cha cha cha, samba and tango group and the fat will roll
off the lot of you. And all that money saved on sill a/c stuff.

---

tony sayer

In article , parish
parish_AT_ntlworld.com@?.? writes

IMM wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Let me tell you now that there is only me in here.

Had this been anywhere else the shock of seeing beerus guttus maximus

in
all its glory, would cause all but those with the strongest

constitution
to wilt!..

Pinned down the problem! Obesity! get fit, get slim, then you don't
require cooling. You should take up the Samba, cha cha cha and the

tango.

But not until the weather cools down, eh?

Do it now and the fat will flow off.

Do it now and he'll certainly be cool - lying in a mortuary fridge after
inducing a heart attack.

Tony: No offence meant to you; I have a not insignificant beer gut too :-)

's all right M8, the wimmen love to prod and play with it!, the kids
think its some sorta bouncy castle!.....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

tony sayer wrote:

[...]

Can't you control it from the cloud you are sitting on?

Hopefully not the same one as you!..

Stop heat entering the
house, use cooler air to ventilate and the temp inside will be nowhere

near
outside.

Well!, who'd have thought it. Find some cooler air and all this wont be
a problem then.

Getting it!

Where do yer get this cooler air from then, where do they sell it?..

All for free. Under vegetation on the north side of the house. Didn't you
know that?

No. Wonder what plants they are then, and where I can get some as
yesterday in the shade the therms were at 37.4 c?...

Now I suppose that this air is a bit less than the 40 stuff in the room
with the aircon off so its all relative, eh?..
--
Tony Sayer

IMM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

If I was to run one of those automatic watering hose pipes (the ones

with
loads of small holes all the way along) along the ridge of the roof,

then
allow a small flow of water down the roof over the tiles, wouldn't that

keep
the roof void cool and reduce the heating effect for the rest of the

house?
[Granted that loft insulation should be keeping the heat from coming

down in
the summer as well as going up in the winter]
The South facing roof slope also drains into a water butt so any run off
would not be wasted.

There wouldn't be any run off if you get it just right.
You might end up with hard water scale all over your roof though!
What about using the water in the butt with a pump?
Run off doesn't matter then, it just goes round and round.
Might end up with a steaming hot water butt thought ;-)

Or run the pipe, very long lengths of it, underground (while underground
install 4" drain pipes to hold more water) and the temp will be the same as
the mains water coming in.

Or run this pipe under your concrete floor, or under a 1st floor suspended
floor, and cool that way. All for free, except running a pump.

---

Bob Eager

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:40:14 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

's all right M8, the wimmen love to prod and play with it!,

Are we still talking about the beer gut? They're never interested in
mine....

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

parish

Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:40:14 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

's all right M8, the wimmen love to prod and play with it!,

Are we still talking about the beer gut? They're never interested in
mine....

SWMBO prodded mine the other day (who remembers the Pilsbury Dough Boy?)
but spoilt the moment by opening her mouth...."we need to do something
about this". Huh! What's all this "we" **** paleface - she means *I've*
got to cut down on the beer!

Owain

"IMM" wrote
| You can all form a cha cha cha, samba and tango group and the fat
| will roll off the lot of you. And all that money saved on sill
| a/c stuff.

Hmmm, CAT boots and tool belt, the new fashion on Come Dancing, I think not.

Owain

Andy Wade

"IMM" wrote in message ...

"Simon Gardner" wrote
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who fairly recently
described himself as a "full professional in HVAC" to _know_ the answer to
that.

--
Andy

David W.E. Roberts

"Owain" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote
| You can all form a cha cha cha, samba and tango group and the fat
| will roll off the lot of you. And all that money saved on sill
| a/c stuff.

Hmmm, CAT boots and tool belt, the new fashion on Come Dancing, I think

not.

Owain

Looked all right on the Village People.......

......big boy!

Tony Bryer

In article , Andy Wade
wrote:
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who
fairly recently described himself as a "full professional in
HVAC" to _know_ the answer to that.

It's also fascinating to see that someone who would be more than
happy to see planning controls scrapped and the countryside
covered with houses wants there to be aesthetic control over a/c
units.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

IMM

"Owain" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote
| You can all form a cha cha cha, samba and tango group and the fat
| will roll off the lot of you. And all that money saved on sill
| a/c stuff.

Hmmm, CAT boots and tool belt, the new fashion on Come Dancing, I think

not.

It worked for Village People!

---

IMM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message ...

"Simon Gardner" wrote
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who fairly recently
described himself as a "full professional in HVAC" to _know_ the answer to
that.

Domestic is few and far between in HVAC.

---

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Andy Wade
wrote:
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who
fairly recently described himself as a "full professional in
HVAC" to _know_ the answer to that.

It's also fascinating to see that someone who would be more than
happy to see planning controls scrapped and the countryside
covered with houses

Countryside covered in houses? The propaganda machine has made inroads with
you. Only 7.5% of the land built on, even if the house footprint doubled
there that is only 15%. We just can't build all over the countryside, there
is just too much of it.

wants there to be aesthetic control over a/c
units.

What is your point exactly?

---

Andy Hall

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:47:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote
| You can all form a cha cha cha, samba and tango group and the fat
| will roll off the lot of you. And all that money saved on sill
| a/c stuff.

Hmmm, CAT boots and tool belt, the new fashion on Come Dancing, I think

not.

It worked for Village People!

Very revealing....

What was your sentiment towards Essex men?
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:48:45 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message ...

"Simon Gardner" wrote
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!

^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who fairly recently
described himself as a "full professional in HVAC" to _know_ the answer to
that.

Domestic is few and far between in HVAC.

One might also expect a professional to be able to compose a sentence
correctly and have logical trains of thought...

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:48:45 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message ...

"Simon Gardner" wrote
By the by, are there any planning or building regulations
concerning the fitting of aircon units and the siting of the
external heat exchangers?

I hope there is! They look bloody awful!
^^^^
That's a revealing comment. On might expect someone who fairly

recently
described himself as a "full professional in HVAC" to _know_ the answer

that.

Domestic is few and far between in HVAC.

One might also expect a professional to be able to compose a sentence
correctly and have logical trains of thought...

I assume you can't read.

---

P.A.Osborne

Bob Eager wrote:

Are we still talking about the beer gut? They're never interested in
mine....

Yours clearly isnt big enough!

Paul
dave @ stejonda

In message , IMM
writes
Fine for you. Way too hot for me. We had mist this morning so the outside
temp is only just climbing. 25.3 and RH 60.

Oh brilliant! just like the Med.

I was walking around in 44"C in the shade in Cordoba last week.

It was 57"C in the sun just inland from the east Andalucian coast.

No air-con in the villa but the car was a wonderful place to be during
the siesta.

--
dave @ stejonda