John Burns

Default Advice on an interior ceiling - unusual request!

The house I live in was built by the previous owner. Some of his work
was good, some wasn't. The kitchen ceiling isn't too hot.

Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from
strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is
that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a
draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation
above it but no solid panels.

I have access from the garage through the gable wall, a hole only
70x90cm! No other way in. Ceiling is about 14x30 feet.

I intend to put panelling of some sort on top of the joists and
insulation. It's purely to seal it, not load bearing at all.

The question is what sort of panelling? Some sort of mdf, 3 ply or
similar? It'll have to be cut into 70cm strips which is annoying, but I
have a table saw.

Would covering the area in Tyvek wrap or similar be any use?

All ideas most welcome!

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Mike

"John Burns" wrote in message
The house I live in was built by the previous owner. Some of his work
was good, some wasn't. The kitchen ceiling isn't too hot.

Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from
strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is
that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a
draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation
above it but no solid panels.

I have access from the garage through the gable wall, a hole only
70x90cm! No other way in. Ceiling is about 14x30 feet.

I intend to put panelling of some sort on top of the joists and
insulation. It's purely to seal it, not load bearing at all.

The question is what sort of panelling? Some sort of mdf, 3 ply or
similar? It'll have to be cut into 70cm strips which is annoying, but I
have a table saw.

Don' bother with paneling at all. FIrst lay a watertight later of plastic
(e.g. DPC material) to prevent condensation rising up there and then lay
half sheets of Kingspan which should just fit through the hole. Seal
together with tape and the insulation improvement should be immediately
noticable in this weather.

Andy Burns

John Burns wrote:

I have access from the garage through the gable wall, a hole only
70x90cm! It'll have to be cut into 70cm strips

Mr Pythagoras will let you get away with ~114cm strips
John Burns

Mr Pythagoras will let you get away with ~114cm strips

No he won't, there a joist in the garage roof in the way :-(

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Andy Burns

John Burns wrote:

No he won't, there a joist in the garage roof in the way :-(

So trade Mr Euclid for Mr Klein! Just immerse the joist in the 4th
dimension and your sheeting is simultaneously inside the hatch and still
in the garage ;-)

I'll get me coat ...

Owain

"John Burns" wrote
| Mr Pythagoras will let you get away with ~114cm strips
| No he won't, there a joist in the garage roof in the way :-(

Dissolve the joist with caustic soda.

Or just throw in a couple of canoe-loads of spray foam and retire.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Burns wrote:
Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from
strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is
that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a
draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation
above it but no solid panels.

Tongue and groove used as a ceiling?

I'm not an expert on regs, but this sounds to me like a potential fire
hazard - it would burn very easily with air on both sides.

Correctly such cladding would have a conventional plaster ceiling behind
it which would address the draught probem, too.

All IMHO.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Burns wrote:
Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from
strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is
that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a
draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation
above it but no solid panels.

Tongue and groove used as a ceiling?

Unfortunately all the rage some years ago.

I'm not an expert on regs, but this sounds to me like a potential fire
hazard - it would burn very easily with air on both sides.

Yep - and all the stuff I had to rip down to put in insulation burnt very
well in the wood burning stove. Seemed to be a particularly well burning
wood :-) (or perhaps :-( for those with such ceilings.)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
Tongue and groove used as a ceiling?

Unfortunately all the rage some years ago.

And a long time ago as well - my small fourth bedroom in my Victorian semi
had one, and it looked original. Much thicker T&G than the stuff you see
today, though, for cladding purposes.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

John Burns wrote:

[...]

Ohers have covered the basics, but...if its a pianted sealing, go round
every single tongue and groove with decorators caulk, and re-paint it.

Not sure what would match natural wood tho.

I LIKE this sort of ceiling by the way.

John Burns

I LIKE this sort of ceiling by the way.

So do I. Don't think my fiance does alas. Too bad ;-)

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Burns wrote:
I LIKE this sort of ceiling by the way.

So do I. Don't think my fiance does alas. Too bad ;-)

It certainly suits older houses. I've got one in the kitchen end of my
breakfast room. But over plasterboard, so no draughts.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *