The Natural Philosopher

John Burns wrote:

The house I live in was built by the previous owner. Some of his work
was good, some wasn't. The kitchen ceiling isn't too hot.

Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from
strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is
that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a
draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation
above it but no solid panels.

I have access from the garage through the gable wall, a hole only
70x90cm! No other way in. Ceiling is about 14x30 feet.

I intend to put panelling of some sort on top of the joists and
insulation. It's purely to seal it, not load bearing at all.

The question is what sort of panelling? Some sort of mdf, 3 ply or
similar? It'll have to be cut into 70cm strips which is annoying, but I
have a table saw.

Would covering the area in Tyvek wrap or similar be any use?

All ideas most welcome!

Ohers have covered the basics, but...if its a pianted sealing, go round
every single tongue and groove with decorators caulk, and re-paint it.

Not sure what would match natural wood tho.

I LIKE this sort of ceiling by the way.