DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air conditioning in April - good grief (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8126-air-conditioning-april-good-grief.html)

Simon Gardner April 30th 04 09:26 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

AFIAK 1000 BTU is equivalent to 293W.

Ta.

I hope I never again need to know that.

I complained last year to Trading Standards about B&Q's deviousness over
this. I got back the answer (after some considerable research on TS's part)
that though it's illegal, nobody is charged with enforcing it!

Simon Gardner April 30th 04 09:32 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave

The reason for that (according to French media reports) is the habit of the
whole of French officialdom and most of the public service (ie many health
workers) of going on vacances at the same time in August - resulting in
severe staff shortages when last year's killing heat hit. So the Health
Service was unable to cope.

Andy Hall April 30th 04 09:41 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On 29 Apr 2004 07:47:01 -0700, (MBQ) wrote:

[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in message ...
Freak summers 'will happen regularly'

Costly extremes of weather will become the norm, study suggests

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

The 2003 heatwave in Europe that killed at least 20,000 people and
triggered losses of an estimated £7bn could be a taste of things to come,
according to research released today.

Note the word "could"

This was also printed in the Guardian, which immediately calls into
question the factual content.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

MBQ April 30th 04 12:45 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
rnet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) writes:
Freak summers 'will happen regularly'

Costly extremes of weather will become the norm, study suggests

Tim Radford, science editor
Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

The 2003 heatwave in Europe that killed at least 20,000 people and
triggered losses of an estimated £7bn could be a taste of things to come,
according to research released today.

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave, but
averaged over a longer period to the end of the year, there were no
more deaths than normal. So whilst you might claim the heatwave killed
thousands, they were going to die anyway over the next few months.
The heatwave merely knocked up to a few months off their lives.
The imaginary images of thousands of healthy people dying across Europe
which the press generated (particularly in the US) was highly misleading.

As are most of the press stories related to global warmimg. The Times
has been caught out at least once fiddling the data to match the
headline. Hence my stance as a global warming sceptic.

MBQ

MBQ April 30th 04 03:50 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

rnet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave

The reason for that (according to French media reports) is the habit of the
whole of French officialdom and most of the public service (ie many health
workers) of going on vacances at the same time in August - resulting in
severe staff shortages when last year's killing heat hit. So the Health
Service was unable to cope.

You see! When you dig a little deeper most of the media reports of the
dire consequences of global warming are just so much hot air. There's
usually a perfectly rational explanation.

MBQ

Simon Gardner April 30th 04 05:32 PM

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave

The reason for that (according to French media reports) is the habit of the
whole of French officialdom and most of the public service (ie many health
workers) of going on vacances at the same time in August - resulting in
severe staff shortages when last year's killing heat hit. So the Health
Service was unable to cope.

You see! When you dig a little deeper most of the media reports of the
dire consequences of global warming are just so much hot air. There's
usually a perfectly rational explanation.

Well yes - except the staff didn't cause the killer heat. That was real
enough. I had my aircon on full blast and only ventured out into my
similarly air conditioned car - for about a week last summer. And it was
pretty bad on and off for about four months.

Capitol April 30th 04 08:19 PM

Simon Gardner [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message ...

And it was
pretty bad on and off for about four months.

I thought it was pretty good for the same period!

Regards
Capitol

Capitol April 30th 04 08:23 PM

Andy Hall wrote in message

This was also printed in the Guardian, which immediately calls into
question the factual content.....

Isn't this the norm for a broadsheet newspaper aimed at the readers who are
ambitious to become civil servants and incapable of making up their own
minds?

Pete C April 30th 04 08:57 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:52:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:42:15 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

Also, a GBP179 "WA903 Mobile Air conditioner" at 8000 "BTU" - whatever
that is in real money; a GBP298 Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner at

12000
"BTU" - again whatever that is in real money; and a smaller GBP248
Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner rated at 10000 "BTU" - yet again whatever
that is in real money.

AFIAK 1000 BTU is equivalent to 293W.

[If B&Q's previous daftness is continued, the unit's power consumption

will
be shown on the data plate in Watts and its dimensions also in SI units.
Consistency ain't B&Q's strong point - presumably in order the better to
bamboozle customers.]

From the BTU and wattage the efficiency ratio or COP can be
calculated; COP = (BTU * 0.293)/W

cheers,
Pete.

A Heat Pump is not 400% efficient. A heat pump moves heat. Not quite the
same thing.

I know. For you, 400% efficient means a COP of 4, 1kW in = 4kW out.

cheers,
Pete.

geoff April 30th 04 11:21 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In message , rnet writes

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In France at least, some thousands did die during the heat wave

The reason for that (according to French media reports) is the habit of the
whole of French officialdom and most of the public service (ie many health
workers) of going on vacances at the same time in August - resulting in
severe staff shortages when last year's killing heat hit. So the Health
Service was unable to cope.

You see! When you dig a little deeper most of the media reports of the
dire consequences of global warming are just so much hot air. There's
usually a perfectly rational explanation.

Well yes - except the staff didn't cause the killer heat. That was real
enough. I had my aircon on full blast and only ventured out into my
similarly air conditioned car - for about a week last summer. And it was
pretty bad on and off for about four months.

Wimp ...

--
geoff

Owain May 1st 04 02:48 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Capitol" wrote
| Isn't this the norm for a broadsheet newspaper aimed at the readers
| who are ambitious to become civil servants and incapable of making
| up their own minds?

Sir Humphrey Civil servants making up their own minds? What a novel
suggestion. In fact, one might say it was both novel and courageous. If they
came to a decision they might be held responsible for it, which isn't at all
how government is supposed to work. Far better to leave the decision-making
to the politicians - after all, they're expendable. /

Owain

IMM May 2nd 04 02:38 AM

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:52:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

Also, a GBP179 "WA903 Mobile Air conditioner" at 8000 "BTU" -

whatever
that is in real money; a GBP298 Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner at

12000
"BTU" - again whatever that is in real money; and a smaller GBP248
Habicool Mobile Air Conditioner rated at 10000 "BTU" - yet again

whatever
that is in real money.

AFIAK 1000 BTU is equivalent to 293W.

[If B&Q's previous daftness is continued, the unit's power consumption

will
be shown on the data plate in Watts and its dimensions also in SI

units.
Consistency ain't B&Q's strong point - presumably in order the better

bamboozle customers.]

From the BTU and wattage the efficiency ratio or COP can be
calculated; COP = (BTU * 0.293)/W

cheers,
Pete.

A Heat Pump is not 400% efficient. A heat pump moves heat. Not quite

the
same thing.

I know. For you, 400% efficient means a COP of 4, 1kW in = 4kW out.

I know exactly what COP is.

IMM May 2nd 04 02:40 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]