DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air conditioning in April - good grief (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8126-air-conditioning-april-good-grief.html)

IMM April 26th 04 10:44 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Irrelevant point when looking at the pc problem of poor design.

Ha! Do you know *anything* about hardware??

Yes.

IMM April 26th 04 10:45 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:22:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

If a server is handling incoming mail services and DNS (for example)
it needs to be on the whole time.

At home? Remote servers can provide such services for you.

IMM April 26th 04 10:46 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:08:20 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:16:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:24:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
strung together this:

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

He can't help it, he's a compulsive moron.

What weight are you? Tell the truth now.

6'5" and 11.5 stones.

A beanpole? Uh!

Yep.

Do kids throw stones at you in the street?

Craig Graham April 26th 04 11:05 AM

IMM wrote:
If a server is handling incoming mail services and DNS (for example)
it needs to be on the whole time.

At home? Remote servers can provide such services for you.

Yes they can. Your point? I have reasons for running my own mailserver at
home, both for receiving and sending. I assume the previous poster does as
well. I got annoyed by occasional high transit times causing delivery
deadlines to be missed- now if there's a problem I can check the local
server logs and confirm that the mail has left and has either been received
at the destination or is on the mailserver for the destination. Either way
it confirms the problem is at the client's end and not mine.

Before any smartarse says we should plan better on timing, some jobs my wife
does only take a day to do and are delivered in the middle of one day for
return by midday the next. This leaves little slack.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/

Andy Hall April 26th 04 11:19 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:45:33 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

If a server is handling incoming mail services and DNS (for example)
it needs to be on the whole time.

At home?

Absolutely if you are working with networking.

It is true that you can have DNS hosted remotely on your behalf, but
good quality services have to be paid for, and the free ones are not
flexible enough. One may also need to run split horizon DNS whereby
internal host details are not shown externally. Read the
information about BIND if you would like to educate yourself about
that.

I would not even entertain the idea of having mail hosted anywhere
outside my direct control for both security and reliability reasons.
Given that situation, it is necessary to have a host with SMTP server
accessible to the Internet at all times so that sending mail servers
don't time out and start sending non-delivery or delayed delivery
messages to the sender.

Remote servers can provide such services for you.

This may be adequate for some people, but does not meet my
requirements which is 24x7 service availability.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM April 26th 04 12:10 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or mail
servers.

Bob Eager April 26th 04 12:24 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or mail
servers.

You may not. Do not presume to speak for others.

My network has a lot of machines on it (sometimes as many as 15). It
needs DNS to work. If my DSL goes down, I lose DNS. So I run it locally.
I run DNS for other domains for other reasons. You have already been
given valid reasons for mail.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

IMM April 26th 04 01:02 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or

mail
servers.

You may not. Do not presume to speak for others.

My network has a lot of machines on it (sometimes as many as 15). It
needs DNS to work. If my DSL goes down, I lose DNS. So I run it locally.
I run DNS for other domains for other reasons. You have already been
given valid reasons for mail.

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Tony Bryer April 26th 04 01:03 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article , John Rumm wrote:
So I expect I will need to turn the AC on in the next few weeks. In

fact
I am giving serious consideration to adding some built in AC as a part
of the loft conversion I am doing!

What you really need is a heat pump that extracts the heat from the air
to heat your h.w. cylinder.

Bob Eager April 26th 04 01:12 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

John Hearns April 26th 04 01:33 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

Any recommendations for suppliers of portable A/C units?
Good value/service, online or otherwise.

Ideally I would like to have an internal unit with the hoses going
out to my balcony to an external unit (don't know the exact terms for
these, but the hoses carry the heat exchanging fluid). I live in a flat.
Problem is routing the hoses - we have large windows/patio doors covering
all of one wall. Above the windows is a pretty substantial concrete beam.
Below there is a step, with extenal brickwork. I'm not sure about the
construction.
As the windows are large sealed double glazing units I couldn't cut holes
there.

Guess the best option is to have a portable unit, and lead the flexible
air exhaust hose out of the doors left ajar.
Any ideas?

Andy Hall April 26th 04 01:53 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:10:07 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Remote servers can provide such services for you.

This may be adequate for some people, but does not meet my
requirements which is 24x7 service availability.

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or mail
servers.

It isn't nonsense. I work at home and certainly need them for the
work that I do.

This involves quite a bit of DNS work and constant mail deliverability
in known timescales. By hosting my own, I can change them as
required and can also confirm delivery of important emails to business
contact's servers. That can't be done through a 3rd party service.

Andy Hall April 26th 04 01:58 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:02:19 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

That is nonsense. Anyone working from home does not need local DNS or

mail
servers.

You may not. Do not presume to speak for others.

My network has a lot of machines on it (sometimes as many as 15). It
needs DNS to work. If my DSL goes down, I lose DNS. So I run it locally.
I run DNS for other domains for other reasons. You have already been
given valid reasons for mail.

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

I have a similar number of machines, plus routers, switches and
various forms of firewalling installed at home.

I don't need commercial units, nor would I want to work in one.

This uses far less energy than if I have to get into the car and drive
somewhere, never mind the time and security risk.

Sorry, but your usual "one size fits all" mentality doesn't work.....

IMM April 26th 04 02:08 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one

for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

IMM April 26th 04 02:11 PM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , John Rumm wrote:
So I expect I will need to turn the AC on in the next few weeks. In

fact
I am giving serious consideration to adding some built in AC as a part
of the loft conversion I am doing!

What you really need is a heat pump that extracts the heat from the air
to heat your h.w. cylinder.

Good approach. Then these fatties save a little energy.

Simon Gardner April 26th 04 02:28 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article ,
"Capitol" wrote:

As a small window mounted A/C unit is about $100 in the US ( Walmart) when
are we going to see these here?

You can certainly get "window rattlers" as they are called im the UK. But
they don't generally find favour in the UK market. OTOH some are indeed
sold because of very easy installation and no expertise needed and little
structural alteration. But they aren't common.

Owain April 26th 04 02:33 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Grunff" wrote
| But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
| Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

I noticed the Evaporative Coolers in B&Q yesterday. "Does not dry the air"
was plastered on the package as a Feature Selling Point.

Owain

Andy Hall April 26th 04 04:23 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:08:42 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one

for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....
That must be commercial, or perhaps just foolhardy....

Bob Eager April 26th 04 04:47 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:08:42 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

That's your opinion. And yours only.

Anyway, they'd hardly use less electricity if in a different place.

Simon Gardner April 26th 04 04:50 PM

John Hearns wrote:

Guess the best option is to have a portable unit, and lead the flexible
air exhaust hose out of the doors left ajar.

No. It's a very bad option. (a) the hot air ccles back in and (b) the hot
humid air cycle back in. So a lot of the time, you are cooling the outdoors
- which is too hot anyway.

If you must use one of these portable units (and I gave up on them 10 years
ago) put a duct through the wall - or at the very least seal all round the
hose that you have poking through the window so that there aren't any
leaks.

You really are far better off with proper split system. Last year during
the 33 degree heat and excess humidity - and with a lot of electronic
equipment round me - my environment stayed below 21 and below rh 45%. It
doesn't half make for more productive working conditions (not to speak of
leisure conditions) during the unpleasant part of the year.

John Rumm April 26th 04 05:00 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , John Rumm wrote:

So I expect I will need to turn the AC on in the next few weeks. In

fact

I am giving serious consideration to adding some built in AC as a part
of the loft conversion I am doing!

What you really need is a heat pump that extracts the heat from the air
to heat your h.w. cylinder.

Nice idea - except the cylinder is now in the garden connected to thin
air! (was in the loft - so had to go).

Having said that if I install AC, I will ensure it is capable of use in
heat pump mode, to grab heat from outside when required. It might be
quite nice on those days where you don't want the whole CH on but a
little extra warmth in one room would be nice.

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM April 26th 04 05:26 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
In article ,
"Capitol" wrote:

As a small window mounted A/C unit is about $100 in the US ( Walmart)

when
are we going to see these here?

You can certainly get "window rattlers" as they are called im the UK. But
they don't generally find favour in the UK market. OTOH some are indeed
sold because of very easy installation and no expertise needed and little
structural alteration. But they aren't common.

They are an eyesore and should be banned. No need for them.

IMM April 26th 04 05:29 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one

for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers,

Which do not create extra heat or pollution.

two SDS drills,

Only one.

two rechargeable
drills,

I do and they do not take more energy and pollute.

two sanders,

Only one.

two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

Only one item made by them. I wish they all were.

That must be commercial, or perhaps just foolhardy....

Foolhardy to have some power tools? 15 machine on frigging house? You are
mad!!! You should be driven from the area by the council. The bailiff's
should be called in.

IMM April 26th 04 05:30 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:08:42 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

That's your opinion. And yours only.

Anyway, they'd hardly use less electricity if in a different place.

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

Bob Eager April 26th 04 05:48 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

(incidentally, none of the machines is faster than a Pentium II; doesn't
need to be).

Andy Hall April 26th 04 06:17 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:29:59 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you
should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one
for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers,

Which do not create extra heat or pollution.

two SDS drills,

Only one.

So why do you recommend everybody else to buy two of everything?

two rechargeable
drills,

I do and they do not take more energy and pollute.

two sanders,

Only one.

two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

Only one item made by them. I wish they all were.

So how come you recommend their products to others.?

That must be commercial, or perhaps just foolhardy....

Foolhardy to have some power tools? 15 machine on frigging house? You are
mad!!! You should be driven from the area by the council. The bailiff's
should be called in.

The bailiff's what?

Andy Hall April 26th 04 06:20 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:30:36 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:08:42 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

That's your opinion. And yours only.

Anyway, they'd hardly use less electricity if in a different place.

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

Well you know, there is such a thing as networking. This makes it
possible to locate machines where the heat can be dumped outside in
the summer and inside in the winter. They don't have to be within
the part of the house where people are.

IMM April 26th 04 06:52 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

Lurch April 26th 04 07:25 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:46:04 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Do kids throw stones at you in the street?

Er, no. You? I would.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

RichardS April 26th 04 07:39 PM

"IMM" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

Yes, you're right.

He should be driving to a commercial unit every day where he can happily
have his 15 boxes running as long as he wants.

Meanwhile, back in IMM-land of disposable tools, the world's environment is
perfectly safe...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM April 26th 04 07:55 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:46:04 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Do kids throw stones at you in the street?

Er, no. You? I would.

You would throw me at the kids?

Lurch April 26th 04 08:34 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:55:44 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

You would throw me at the kids?

That, or the kids at you. I'm not fussed either way really, althought
the kids would be easier to throw than you, you roly-poly lardbucket.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Andy Hall April 26th 04 08:43 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:52:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

So how does driving to a commercial unit reduce pollution?

Grunff April 26th 04 09:06 PM

IMM wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you should
have a small commercial unit rented.

I've said it before, and I have no doubt that I will say it again - you
are truly an imbecile.

--
Grunff

Grunff April 26th 04 09:10 PM

John Hearns wrote:

Any recommendations for suppliers of portable A/C units?
Good value/service, online or otherwise.

Ideally I would like to have an internal unit with the hoses going
out to my balcony to an external unit (don't know the exact terms for
these, but the hoses carry the heat exchanging fluid). I live in a flat.
Problem is routing the hoses - we have large windows/patio doors covering
all of one wall. Above the windows is a pretty substantial concrete beam.
Below there is a step, with extenal brickwork. I'm not sure about the
construction.
As the windows are large sealed double glazing units I couldn't cut holes
there.

What you're talking about is a split unit; this is quite different from
the 'portable' units, where the hot/cold side are in one enclosure.

I got mine from http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/enter.html, and
found them very, very nice to deal with.

Guess the best option is to have a portable unit, and lead the flexible
air exhaust hose out of the doors left ajar.

Nooo! Really, a split unit is a much better solution. There is always a
way of getting a 2" hole from inside to outside. Always.

--
Grunff

Capitol April 26th 04 09:11 PM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home, one

for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land reform.
Then he can have two houses as well. By the way, I think you forgot the two
washing machines, fridges,freezers and cars.

Regards
Capitol

IMM April 26th 04 09:12 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented.

I've said it before, and I have no doubt that I will say it again - you
are truly an imbecile.

Are moronic enough to have PCs all over the house?

IMM April 26th 04 09:13 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:55:44 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

You would throw me at the kids?

That, or the kids at you. I'm not fussed either way really, althought
the kids would be easier to throw than you, you roly-poly lardbucket.

Lardbucket. I'm the epitome of lean and mean.