DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air conditioning in April - good grief (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8126-air-conditioning-april-good-grief.html)

Andy Hall April 26th 04 09:24 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:12:10 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:52:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

So how does driving to a commercial unit reduce pollution?

no a/c.

Huh??

Both of my cars have a/c and a commercial unit would be more likely to
need a/c for computer equipment as it is more likely to be poorly
insulated.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall April 26th 04 09:28 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:10:13 +0100, Grunff wrote:

I got mine from http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/enter.html, and
found them very, very nice to deal with.

Guess the best option is to have a portable unit, and lead the flexible
air exhaust hose out of the doors left ajar.

Nooo! Really, a split unit is a much better solution. There is always a
way of getting a 2" hole from inside to outside. Always.

What did you buy as a matter of interest, Grunff, and did you fit it
yourself? How is the charging with refrigerant handled?

Andy Luckman April 26th 04 09:31 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article , Capitol
wrote:

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land reform.
Then he can have two houses as well. By the way, I think you forgot the two
washing machines, fridges,freezers and cars.

Don't take the good Lady's name and use it in the same sentence referencing
our resident daft Trot please.

--
AJL Electronics
Home account classic.vispa.com

IMM April 26th 04 09:58 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Capitol" wrote in message

Andy Hall wrote in message ...
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:08:42 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:19 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you
should
have a small commercial unit rented. I could say 4 or 5 at home,

one
for
the kids in each bedroom, but they would not require 24/7 operation.

Why not? I do a lot of work with them...

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

By the way, I think you forgot the two
washing machines,
fridges,freezers and cars.

Only one in each place.

IMM April 26th 04 10:00 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Andy Luckman" wrote in message
In article , Capitol
wrote:

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well. By the way, I think you forgot the

two
washing machines, fridges,freezers and cars.

Don't take the good Lady's name and use it in the same sentence

referencing
our resident daft Trot please.

You are totally brainwashed. Thatcher was the worst leader the UK has EVER
had. If you couldn't see that, get therapy. They did de-condition some
prisoners who were brainwashed by the North Koreans, so there is hope for
you.

IMM April 26th 04 10:01 PM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:12:10 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

So how does driving to a commercial unit reduce pollution?

no a/c.

Huh??

Both of my cars

He has two cars. What a pillock!

have a/c and a commercial unit would be more likely to
need a/c for computer equipment as it is more likely to be poorly
insulated.

You are guessing.

Grunff April 26th 04 10:02 PM

Andy Hall wrote:

What did you buy as a matter of interest, Grunff, and did you fit it
yourself? How is the charging with refrigerant handled?

I bought a Millennium 2.65kW Heat Pump. Once you include the brackets,
VAT and delivery, it comes to around £500. I installed it myself, here's
a brief description:

1. Mount inside unit to wall, having connected up the two refrigerant
hoses, condensate hose and interconnecting cable.

2. Mount outside unit to wall on supplied brackets.

3. Cut 3" hole in wall for the refrigerant hoses, condensate hose and
interconnecting cable.

4. Connect one of the two refrigerant hoses between the inside and
outside units.

5. Open the valve on the outside unit, allowing refrigerant to fill the
tube, inside unit and return tube. A few seconds is enough.

6. Connect second refrigerant hose and interconnecting cable.

The whole procedure was soo much easier than I expected. The unit comes
ready charged with an excess of refrigerant, which you use to flush the
hoses and evaporator.

It all went pretty smoothly. I had a long chat with the guy at Global
Cooling. He seemed to know what he was on about, and said that most of
these units tended to last about 10 years.

What's more, the unit also acts as a heat pump. When I installed it
(November) I tested this out and it was quite impressive. A couple of kW
output for only 800W input!

We've been using it (on cool) for a couple of weeks now, and it's very
pleasant indeed. Noise is less than that of a 12" floor standing fan. It
has a built in timer, so you can set it to pre-cool the room if required.

--
Grunff

geoff April 26th 04 10:08 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In message , IMM
writes
I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

So you're really a capitalist under that Bliar disguise
--
geoff

Grunff April 26th 04 10:13 PM

IMM wrote:

a commercial unit would be more likely to
need a/c for computer equipment as it is more likely to be poorly
insulated.

You are guessing.

Have you ever been in a commercial unit???

--
Grunff

David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk April 26th 04 10:19 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article , IMM
writes

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

John, don't tell porkies you have a flat and house not two houses

By the way, I think you forgot the two
washing machines,
fridges,freezers and cars.

Only one in each place.

--
David

Lurch April 26th 04 10:32 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:13:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Lardbucket. I'm the epitome of lean and mean.

More like dimwitted spankingstrap.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Bob Eager April 26th 04 10:40 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:54:59 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"IMM" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:30:36 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

But produce more heat where the heat is not wanted.

That's my problem - not yours. So cease trying to impose your warped
values on me.

Preventing pollution is warped? tsk, tsk.

Yes, you're right.

He should be driving to a commercial unit every day where he can happily
have his 15 boxes running as long as he wants.

With no a/c.

But I never said I had a/c at home...I don't. So your point is?

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

Bob Eager April 26th 04 10:40 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:12:57 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented.

I've said it before, and I have no doubt that I will say it again - you
are truly an imbecile.

Are moronic enough to have PCs all over the house?

If you worked on operating system rserach, and used multiple operating
systems (at least 7, currently) then you would perhaps realise why. And
I never said they were 'all over the house', either.

IMM April 26th 04 10:47 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

15 machines at home? You should not be at home with that many, you

should
have a small commercial unit rented.

I've said it before, and I have no doubt that I will say it again -

you
are truly an imbecile.

Are moronic enough to have PCs all over the house?

If you worked on operating system rserach, and used multiple operating
systems (at least 7, currently) then you would perhaps realise why. And
I never said they were 'all over the house', either.

If you lived next to me I would have the council onto you.

IMM April 26th 04 10:48 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:13:42 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Lardbucket. I'm the epitome of lean and mean.

More like dimwitted spankingstrap.

So, you are into kink as well. A kinky beanpole. How gross.

IMM April 26th 04 10:50 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes
I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

So you're really a capitalist under that Bliar disguise

The Labour part always has been a capitalist party. Maxie, you should find
out instead of sucking in propaganda.

Lurch April 26th 04 10:53 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:47:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

If you lived next to me I would have the council onto you.

If you lived next door to me you wouldn't have time to contact the
council before I smashed you round the back of the head with a shovel.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch April 26th 04 11:02 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:48:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

So, you are into kink as well. A kinky beanpole. How gross.

Could be worse, could be kinky and the size of a supermarket, must be
terrible for you.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

IMM April 26th 04 11:14 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

John, don't tell porkies you have a flat and house not two houses

Bertie, you have been reading my posts, haven't you?

IMM April 26th 04 11:24 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:47:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

If you lived next to me I would have the council onto you.

If you lived next door to me you wouldn't have time to contact the
council before I smashed you round the back of the head with a shovel.

Wishful thinking me old beanpole.

[email protected] April 26th 04 11:25 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In article , IMM
writes

David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote in message
.. .
In article , IMM
writes

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

John, don't tell porkies you have a flat and house not two houses

Bertie, you have been reading my posts, haven't you?

Is this a trick question?

--
David

IMM April 26th 04 11:27 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:48:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

So, you are into kink as well. A kinky beanpole. How gross.

Could be worse, could be kinky and the size of a supermarket, must be
terrible for you.

This is another case of a hang-up because of his physical abnormality.
Therapy is the answer. You must get therapy now. Lots of it. This is for
your own good. When they come with the white coats on, hide the shovels.

IMM April 26th 04 11:28 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

David @chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote in message
.. .
In article , IMM

writes

15 machines at home? Are you serious? that is commercial.

Doesn't have to be. He can be an enthusiast......

After all, you have two boilers, two SDS drills, two rechargeable
drills, two sanders, two of everything made by Powerpoint Pro or
whatever they are called.....

I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

John, don't tell porkies you have a flat and house not two houses

Bertie, you have been reading my posts, haven't you?

Is this a trick question?

Well Bertie, a question like that must be very tricky for you.

Bob Eager April 26th 04 11:31 PM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:47:46 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

If you lived next to me I would have the council onto you.

And they would laugh. I am not misusing a residential property. I just
work at home sometimes...mainly on the eighth operating system I have
installed - Win 2K. And that's the one I use least frequently. The
others are used privately.

Pete C April 26th 04 11:48 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On 26 Apr 2004 11:24:13 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

You may not. Do not presume to speak for others.

My network has a lot of machines on it (sometimes as many as 15). It
needs DNS to work. If my DSL goes down, I lose DNS. So I run it locally.
I run DNS for other domains for other reasons. You have already been
given valid reasons for mail.

Hi,

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

cheers,
Pete.

Pete C April 26th 04 11:48 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:36:05 +0100, Grunff wrote:

IMM wrote:

Did you check the power consumption of the parts? No you never.

I don't buy PC parts on power consumption. I really don't give a sh!t
that my video card eats over 100W. I like it that way.

IME they use very little power in normal office use. It's be worth
less than 50 quid in 6 months time anyway ;)

cheers,
Pete.

geoff April 27th 04 12:09 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes
I believe that he's a closet Thatcherite. That's why he wants land

reform.
Then he can have two houses as well.

I already have.

So you're really a capitalist under that Bliar disguise

The Labour part always has been a capitalist party. Maxie, you should find
out instead of sucking in propaganda.

With such a sense of irony, you should be an american
--
geoff

Bob Eager April 27th 04 12:37 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:48:06 UTC, Pete C
wrote:

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

As I said, not all at once.

Main ones are house primary server (domain controller), secondary server
(and backup domain controller). These are both DNS too, and one is my
workstation. Then my wife's machine. My sons' machines (two, one each).
Then there's the Win2K machine for work. And a BSD machine. And a VAX.
Oh, and the firewall machine.

The others are on and off/development machines. Linux occasionally.

Andy Hall April 27th 04 01:11 AM

wrote:

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

As I said, not all at once.

Main ones are house primary server (domain controller), secondary server
(and backup domain controller). These are both DNS too, and one is my
workstation.

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

Bob Eager April 27th 04 01:23 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:11:31 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

Actually, I don't....none of the machines run Samba (only the BSD one
could, and doesn't). I run NETBEUI between most of them, and just TCP/IP
and NFS on the rest.

Most machines could run with Samba-compatible protocols, but I find that
variant a pain when there isn't a WINS server on the network....and I
don't run Windows servers at all.

Andy Hall April 27th 04 02:11 AM

On 27 Apr 2004 00:23:54 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:11:31 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

Actually, I don't....none of the machines run Samba (only the BSD one
could, and doesn't). I run NETBEUI between most of them, and just TCP/IP
and NFS on the rest.

Most machines could run with Samba-compatible protocols, but I find that
variant a pain when there isn't a WINS server on the network....and I
don't run Windows servers at all.

Hmm. So what do you run for your main servers? When you talked
about PDC and BDC I thought about Windows but then Samba, because I
have a feeling that that now does these functions and WINS as well.

Bob Eager April 27th 04 08:15 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:11:03 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Hmm. So what do you run for your main servers? When you talked
about PDC and BDC I thought about Windows but then Samba, because I
have a feeling that that now does these functions and WINS as well.

OS/2 Warp Server Advanced for e-Business...

One advantage of using NETBEUI is that there is no chance of a security
'leak' even if I misconfigure the firewall...!

Grunff April 27th 04 08:16 AM

John Hearns wrote:
Nooo! Really, a split unit is a much better solution. There is always a
way of getting a 2" hole from inside to outside. Always.

I didn't realise that the hole cold be as small as that. Thanks.

Yeah, it's just for the two refrigerant hoses, electric cable and drain
hose. I cut a 3" hole for comfort, but I think you could easily squeeze
them through a 2" hole.

--
Grunff

Grunff April 27th 04 08:17 AM

Bob Eager wrote:

OS/2 Warp Server Advanced for e-Business...

Ah! So you're the one! ;-)

--
Grunff

Andy Hall April 27th 04 08:27 AM

On 27 Apr 2004 07:15:05 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:11:03 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Hmm. So what do you run for your main servers? When you talked
about PDC and BDC I thought about Windows but then Samba, because I
have a feeling that that now does these functions and WINS as well.

OS/2 Warp Server Advanced for e-Business...

Oh, wow... I didn't know that that was still around. I have a
old copy of the desktop OS/2 Warp in the loft somewhere but haven't
run it for a very long time...

One advantage of using NETBEUI is that there is no chance of a security
'leak' even if I misconfigure the firewall...!

That's certainly true.... :-) For a smallish network it makes good
sense.

IMM April 27th 04 08:28 AM

wrote:

I'm intrigued, what do you use 15 PCs for? Do you have many on at
once?

As I said, not all at once.

Main ones are house primary server (domain controller), secondary server
(and backup domain controller). These are both DNS too, and one is my
workstation.

I suppose that you could say that you do the Samba and totally confuse
IMM..... :-)

I would be confused. I have never known a computer or snake nerd to do the
samba.

Andy Hall April 27th 04 08:28 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:17:45 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

OS/2 Warp Server Advanced for e-Business...

Ah! So you're the one! ;-)

Well...... for its day it wasn't bad...

Grunff April 27th 04 08:30 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

Andy Hall wrote:

Well...... for its day it wasn't bad...

I've only used the desktop version, but no, it wasn't bad at all.

--
Grunff