DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air conditioning in April - good grief (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8126-air-conditioning-april-good-grief.html)

IMM April 25th 04 08:25 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

And reduce the RH by how much exactly?

Rh is rarely a problem in the UK

I would agree - it is usually only about 4 months in the year that it is
a problem - so I suppose that is "rarely"...

I repeat: "Rh is rarely a problem in the UK"

Lurch April 25th 04 08:37 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:23:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:32:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Capitol"
strung together this:

I always admire a warm considerate reply!

Justified in this case, so acceptable posting etiquette!

Another fatty?

The epitomy of slim actually. I have a very high metabolism you thick
****ing ****.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Grunff April 25th 04 09:01 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

Pete C wrote:

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

--
Grunff

Jerry. April 25th 04 09:09 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"IMM" wrote in message

Very sad.

Yes you are.

geoff April 25th 04 09:21 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

In message , Lurch
writes

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:32:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Capitol"
strung together this:

I always admire a warm considerate reply!

Justified in this case, so acceptable posting etiquette!

Another fatty?

The epitomy of slim actually. I have a very high metabolism you thick
****ing ****.

So have I, but I'm still a fat ... {enter word of choice here}

--
geoff

Rick Dipper April 25th 04 09:40 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:26:49 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

Looks like the weather is heating up even earlier this year. First time I
can remember having to turn the aircon on in April. Time was it used to
snow around once or twice in late April.

But now it's just about time for the annual uk.d-i-y aircon thread.

Wonder what B&Q is selling in the way of portables this year and when they
will sell out?

Is it time to buy shares in installed aircon?

Last year I got a sun burn in laste march from DIY, so this year its
late .........

IMM April 25th 04 10:20 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:32:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Capitol"
strung together this:

I always admire a warm considerate reply!

Justified in this case, so acceptable posting etiquette!

Another fatty?

The epitomy of slim actually. I have a very high metabolism you thick
****ing ****.

So have I, but I'm still a fat ... {enter word of choice here}

I know what you are thinking Maxie. By the reaction of these people, they
are clearly spherical.

IMM April 25th 04 10:21 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:12:24 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Pete C wrote:

If your window cannot be opened it might be fairly cheap to get it
replaced with one that does, especially if it's a sealed DG unit. Or
it's possible to get window tint film that reflects a high proportion
of the heat.

It can be opened, but opening it on a hot day doesn't help much :-(

Hi,

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

A single fan and some ducting would do, instead of all these fatties adding
to global warming.

IMM April 25th 04 10:22 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

John Rumm April 25th 04 10:24 PM

IMM wrote:

I repeat: "Rh is rarely a problem in the UK"

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

It's only a problem for 25% of the year - as you say rarely.

IMM Insert rule of thumb #4

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall April 25th 04 10:26 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:21:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Lurch
writes

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:32:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Capitol"
strung together this:

I always admire a warm considerate reply!

Justified in this case, so acceptable posting etiquette!

Another fatty?

The epitomy of slim actually. I have a very high metabolism you thick
****ing ****.

So have I, but I'm still a fat ... {enter word of choice here}

I reckon that this is all a smokescreen by IMM.

He would like to have us all believe that he is

http://tinyurl.com/yucqx

when in point of fact he is actually

http://tinyurl.com/yw6vv

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Rumm April 25th 04 10:28 PM

Grunff wrote:

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

I find that just the computers on their own are enough to raise the
temperature in my office to about 5 deg over the temperature of the rest
of the house....

I can cope with it upto about 27 deg if it is not too humid - but once
it goes above that (or it gets wetter) it is no longer conducive to work.

So I expect I will need to turn the AC on in the next few weeks. In fact
I am giving serious consideration to adding some built in AC as a part
of the loft conversion I am doing!

--
Cheers,

John.

Bob Eager April 25th 04 10:35 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:22:58 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

OK in (crackpot) theory...but not in practice.

At least two machines are servers - DNS primary in one case.

LCD monitors don't work unless you are prepared to use the resolution
they support - with my eyesight that isn't practical either.

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...

Grunff April 25th 04 10:48 PM

IMM wrote:

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

You are an imbecile.

--
Grunff

IMM April 25th 04 10:49 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:32:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Capitol"
strung together this:

I always admire a warm considerate reply!

Justified in this case, so acceptable posting etiquette!

Another fatty?

The epitomy of slim actually. I have a very high metabolism you thick
****ing ****.

So have I, but I'm still a fat ... {enter word of choice here}

I reckon that this is all a smokescreen by IMM.

He would like to have us all believe that he is

http://tinyurl.com/yucqx

when in point of fact he is actually

http://tinyurl.com/yw6vv

Missed the mark by a mile. I am much better looking than...
http://piercebrosnan.jamesbond-onlin...s/pbrosn28.jpg

IMM April 25th 04 10:53 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

You are an imbecile.

Do you mean you want to have heat producing monitors and stuff on all the
time? How dumb!

Andy Hall April 25th 04 10:53 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:22:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

Get LCD monitors and don't have the stuff on 24/7.

If a server is handling incoming mail services and DNS (for example)
it needs to be on the whole time.

IMM April 25th 04 10:53 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

He would like to have us all believe that he is

http://tinyurl.com/yucqx

when in point of fact he is actually

http://tinyurl.com/yw6vv

ROFL..

You laughed at that? My oh my. You obviously laugh a Last of The Summers
Wine too.

Grunff April 25th 04 11:00 PM

IMM wrote:

You laughed at that? My oh my. You obviously laugh a Last of The Summers
Wine too.

You *always* say that. I've never, ever watched last of the summer wine.
I'm 30 years old for heaven's sake...

--
Grunff

Grunff April 25th 04 11:02 PM

IMM wrote:

Do you mean you want to have heat producing monitors and stuff on all the
time? How dumb!

No; you are so clueless, I really don't know why I'm bothering. The
monitors switch themselves off when not in use. When in use, even my 19"
CRT is only ~80W. Compared with the overall consumption of 3 permanently
on PCs, it's nothing.

--
Grunff

Lurch April 25th 04 11:07 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:24:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
strung together this:

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

He can't help it, he's a compulsive moron.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

IMM April 25th 04 11:16 PM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:24:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
strung together this:

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

He can't help it, he's a compulsive moron.

What weight are you? Tell the truth now.

IMM April 25th 04 11:17 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Do you mean you want to have heat producing monitors and stuff on all

the
time? How dumb!

No; you are so clueless, I really don't know why I'm bothering. The
monitors switch themselves off when not in use. When in use, even my 19"
CRT is only ~80W. Compared with the overall consumption of 3 permanently
on PCs, it's nothing.

Some PCs use less power than others. Did you check before you foolishly
bought?

IMM April 25th 04 11:19 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

You laughed at that? My oh my. You obviously laugh a Last of The

Summers
Wine too.

You *always* say that. I've never, ever watched last of the summer wine.
I'm 30 years old for heaven's sake...

It is still shown. You know that , you laugh at the scene where the bath
goes down the hill. The one they repeat again, and again and again....

Grunff April 25th 04 11:23 PM

IMM wrote:

Some PCs use less power than others. Did you check before you foolishly
bought?

I don't buy, I build. This spec can't be bought.

--
Grunff

Grunff April 25th 04 11:24 PM

IMM wrote:

It is still shown. You know that , you laugh at the scene where the bath
goes down the hill. The one they repeat again, and again and again....

No, no idea what the hell you're talking about. I really don't watch
much TV at all. About the only thing I watch regularly is Friends. Now
/that/ is funny.

--
Grunff

IMM April 25th 04 11:28 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Some PCs use less power than others. Did you check before you foolishly
bought?

I don't buy, I build. This spec can't be bought.

Did you check the power consumption of the parts? No you never.

Lurch April 25th 04 11:29 PM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:16:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:24:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
strung together this:

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

He can't help it, he's a compulsive moron.

What weight are you? Tell the truth now.

6'5" and 11.5 stones.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Pete C April 25th 04 11:35 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:01:58 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Pete C wrote:

It's a shame that AC is needed when the cooler air from outside is
available.

I reckon that cooler air is worth 1.3kW/°C/m^3/s or 4300BTU/°C/m^3/s,
it's just a matter of getting it to the right place.

But I think the biggest benefit of the AC is the drying of the air.
Having low RH makes a big difference to how you feel.

True, though having some air movement makes you feel cooler. If the
temperature in April outdoors is comfortable, then it should be
possible to achieve something similar indoors with the right
ventilation.

TBH, since there are two of us working out of this 'office' room, the
cost of the AC is pretty insignificant. It's also worth bearing in mind
that we have several hundred Watts worth of equipment in that room,
always on.

PCs are pretty crap when it comes to power management, give them
another 5-10 years and they should be half decent. I've got 3 PCs here
but luckily only one is a desktop, the other 2 are laptops mostly used
as extra monitors.

cheers,
Pete.

Grunff April 25th 04 11:36 PM

IMM wrote:

Did you check the power consumption of the parts? No you never.

I don't buy PC parts on power consumption. I really don't give a sh!t
that my video card eats over 100W. I like it that way.

I save plenty of evergy by not driving 60 miles a day to work and back.

--
Grunff

Grunff April 25th 04 11:37 PM

IMM wrote:

No, no idea what the hell you're talking about. I really don't watch
much TV at all. About the only thing I watch regularly is Friends. Now
/that/ is funny.

It is?

Yes, really, it is.

--
Grunff

John Rumm April 26th 04 12:05 AM

IMM wrote:

A single fan and some ducting would do, instead of all these fatties adding
to global warming.

compared to your hot air output that is nothing...

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM April 26th 04 01:11 AM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Did you check the power consumption of the parts? No you never.

I don't buy PC parts on power consumption. I really don't give a sh!t
that my video card eats over 100W. I like it that way.

So you never, then whinge about heat, and watse energy and pollute.

I save plenty of evergy by not driving 60 miles a day to work and back.

Irrelevant point when looking at the pc problem of poor design.

Grunff April 26th 04 01:14 AM

IMM wrote:

Irrelevant point when looking at the pc problem of poor design.

Ha! Do you know *anything* about hardware??

--
Grunff

Lurch April 26th 04 01:28 AM

Air conditioning in April - good grief

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:08:20 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:24:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y John Rumm
strung together this:

I was agreeing with you - so stop arguing...

He can't help it, he's a compulsive moron.

What weight are you? Tell the truth now.

6'5" and 11.5 stones.

A beanpole? Uh!

Yep.
--