John Rumm

Default Sigh

Steve Firth wrote:

perspective which suggests that eleven years is the maximum that you
should go for and if the wife scolds you should divorce her on the spot.

Rather like the story of old...

A newly married couple are leaving the reception for the long horse and
carriage ride to their new home. After several hours of travel a stray
dog runs into the path of the horse. This spooks it somewhat. The
husband climbs down from the carriage, and after settling the horse,
points a finger at the animal, and with some menace says "Don't do that
again! That is your first warning". They carry on a little further until
some children playing in the street of a village again spook the horse.
The husband again calms the animal, but then tells it "That is you last
and final warning!". They continue their journey for several more miles
until they are within an hour of their new home. It's getting dark and
they are in open countryside. An owl rather unexpectedly makes a loud
noise which again causes the horse to rear up. With that the husband
steps down from the carriage, retrieves a pistol from within his coat,
and calmly shoots the horse between the eyes.

The man's new wife sees this and is beside herself. She shouts at her
husband "I can't believe you just did that, how can you be so callus and
un-feeling, the poor animal was just scared! How are we going to get to
our home now? It is still miles away and we have all this luggage! What
kind of monster have I married?". The man calmly looks at his wife,
points his finger at her, and says "This is your first warning!".

--
Cheers,

John.

Phil

Umm. I have a stache of men stories ... just being their usual stupid
selves, nothing special :-)

Mray

What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

Phil

Mary Fisher

"Phil" wrote in message

Umm. I have a stache of men stories ... just being their usual stupid
selves, nothing special :-)

Mary

What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

In my opinion a man with a moustache - or moustaches - looks henpecked. I
don't know why they bother to advertise it ...

Mary

Coherers

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

Or takethem back to the supplier and complain that they're not suitab le

for
their intended purpose.

:-D

Better still, take the wife back to the supplier and complain that she's not
fit for her intended purpose

(Oooh! Bitter and twisted...)

Owain

"Huge" wrote
| (Besides, the taps are horizontal, so I'd have to fit them upside down.)

Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and weight
them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the disc is always
correctly aligned with the letters upright. Don't Rolls do something similar
with their hub caps?

Owain

Owain

"Huge" wrote
| "Coherers" writes:
| Tell her you agree with her, and give her the toolkit so she can get
| on with it.
| Given that there is presently a state of non-communication in the
| house, I suspect this would inflame matters further.

If she starts indiscriminately whacking things with a big heavy spanner it
might not be only matters that are inflamed :-)

| So ... it's an excellent idea. Thanks.

Have you thought of asking for a nice shed for christmas ;-)

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Coherers" wrote in message
news

Better still, take the wife back to the supplier and complain that she's
not
fit for her intended purpose

(Oooh! Bitter and twisted...)

Your comment says more about you than about your wife.

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message

Have you thought of asking for a nice shed for christmas ;-)

I've just bought a book on how to build some super sheds. Sadly it's for a
son for when he gets his own house (i.e. not a services one).

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message

Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
weight
them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the disc is always
correctly aligned with the letters upright.

What a splendid idea!

But only if you have letters on your taps. I have to rely on my memory - or
feeling the water ...

Mary

Wanderer

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:20:00 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message

Have you thought of asking for a nice shed for christmas ;-)

I've just bought a book on how to build some super sheds.

Isn't that akin to the Sunday visit to the DIY Superstore, where you can
browse to your heart's content and then not buy and consequently not have
to actually do the work........

:-)

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Coherers

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Coherers" wrote in message
news

Better still, take the wife back to the supplier and complain that she's
not
fit for her intended purpose

(Oooh! Bitter and twisted...)

Your comment says more about you

Like that I am bitter and twisted? Sorry, didn't I mention that ? ;-)

than about your wife.

Bit of a sexist assumption there Mary. Shame on you !
I am a happily married woman, I'll have you know.

bof

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Owain" wrote in message

Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
weight
them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the disc is always
correctly aligned with the letters upright.

What a splendid idea!

But only if you have letters on your taps. I have to rely on my memory - or
feeling the water ...

I've plumbed everything here for hot on the left and cold on the right .
.. . with the exception of a single lever mixer tap which I can never
remember which way to turn.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Owain

"Huge" wrote
| Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
| weight them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the
| disc is always correctly aligned with the letters upright. Don't
| Rolls do something similar with their hub caps?
| They do. But a Roller is £250K, and while these taps were expensive,
| they weren't *that* expensive.

But as a proportion of the total cost, the discs in the taps probably cost
as much as the hubcaps on a Rolls.

Owain

mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
et:

What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

In my opinion a man with a moustache - or moustaches - looks
henpecked.

How innocent

I don't know why they bother to advertise it ...

Deep calleth unto deep

mike
mike ring

"Phil" wrote in news:cpfhkq$oe1$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

Mray

What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

Phil

Portmanteau word store? and cache.

Mray's got a million

mike
Mary Fisher

"bof" wrote in message

I've plumbed everything here for hot on the left and cold on the right . .
. with the exception of a single lever mixer tap which I can never
remember which way to turn.

I've had a look at our taps. The bath says Hot and Cold in black on white,
they're very old. The bathroom sink is red on the left and blank on the
right, the bit of plastic having fallen out. The kitchen taps are swan
necked lab taps, with the controls facing to the side so I had to look
carefully. The hot is red, the cold is green.

All the hots are on the left, all the cold are on the right, as I'd expect.
I thought it was the standard.

Why do we need to read what's on the control? Surely it becomes habit?

Mary

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

raden

In message , Huge
writes
So, after measuring, measuring again, drilling a small pilot hole, measuring
again, drilling the main holes and mounting the expensive taps on the expensive
bath, SWMBO is summoned for an admire and says; "Shouldn't the word "HOT" be
the right way up?" On the tap that goes round as you open and close it,
that is.

That's what comes of buying left handed tape measures

--
geoff

raden

In message , bof
writes
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Owain" wrote in message

Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
weight
them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the disc is always
correctly aligned with the letters upright.

What a splendid idea!

But only if you have letters on your taps. I have to rely on my memory - or
feeling the water ...

I've plumbed everything here for hot on the left and cold on the right
. . . with the exception of a single lever mixer tap which I can never
remember which way to turn.

Not ... the "Hot on the left, cold on the right discussion" again

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:31:01 UTC, raden wrote:

One could do the same with conventionally mounted taps...have a little
magnetised compass needle (on a movable bezel) inside each one...

Or ... one could get out a bit more

Indeed....the proper engineer's approach is surely not to have any
directionality to what's on the tap. Just make it red or blue!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

In my opinion a man with a moustache - or moustaches - looks henpecked. I
don't know why they bother to advertise it ...

A few years ago - in the major conurbations at least - a moustache on a
man meant there was a good chance he was gay. So not henpecked. ;-)

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Lurch

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:10:23 -0000, "Owain"
strung together this:

"Huge" wrote
| (Besides, the taps are horizontal, so I'd have to fit them upside down.)

Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and weight
them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the disc is always
correctly aligned with the letters upright. Don't Rolls do something similar
with their hub caps?

I saw a Somerfield delivery van the other day that had those, with
somerfield logos in them. Might be somewhat cheaper to buy a
secondhand ex-Somerfield Iveco than a Roller....
--

SJW
Paul Mc Cann

In article , owain41276
@stirlingcity.co.uk says...
"Huge" wrote
| Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
| weight them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the
| disc is always correctly aligned with the letters upright. Don't
| Rolls do something similar with their hub caps?
| They do. But a Roller is =A3250K, and while these taps were expensive,
| they weren't *that* expensive.

=20

I don't think thats true. I once found a Rolls Royce hub cap and it was=20
nothing special.

Something similiar to this can be found in the hubs of certain buses and=20
lorries. It displays, I presume, mileage. It doesn't rotate with the=20
wheel but can often be seen swinging as the vehicle stops
--=20
Paul Mc Cann
Andy Hall

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:43:20 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

In my opinion a man with a moustache - or moustaches - looks henpecked. I
don't know why they bother to advertise it ...

A few years ago - in the major conurbations at least - a moustache on a
man meant there was a good chance he was gay. So not henpecked. ;-)

That depends :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

What kind of stache would that be - a moustache?

In my opinion a man with a moustache - or moustaches - looks henpecked. I
don't know why they bother to advertise it ...

A few years ago - in the major conurbations at least - a moustache on a
man meant there was a good chance he was gay. So not henpecked. ;-)

Wold that be cock-pecked then?
Roger

The message
from Paul Mc Cann contains these words:

| Even better. Mount the H and C discs in the tap centres on pivots and
| weight them, so that regardless of the position of the taphead the
| disc is always correctly aligned with the letters upright. Don't
| Rolls do something similar with their hub caps?
| They do. But a Roller is £250K, and while these taps were expensive,
| they weren't *that* expensive.

I don't think thats true. I once found a Rolls Royce hub cap and it was
nothing special.

But it is true of late models. Your hub cap wouldn't have come off a
£250K Rolls Royce.

--
Roger
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Paul Mc Cann wrote:
I don't think thats true. I once found a Rolls Royce hub cap and it was
nothing special.

It's only on the latest BMW Rolls. Would have been considered bling by
Royce.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Roger wrote:
I don't think thats true. I once found a Rolls Royce hub cap and it
was nothing special.

But it is true of late models. Your hub cap wouldn't have come off a
£250K Rolls Royce.

And of course most haven't had hub caps as such for ages. From post war to
about '70, they had a one piece wheel cover. Then for a couple of years a
true hub cap with a chrome wheel rim trim too. After that alloy wheels
became the norm.

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

"Bob Eager" wrote
| raden wrote:
| One could do the same with conventionally mounted taps...have a
| little magnetised compass needle (on a movable bezel) inside
| each one...
| Or ... one could get out a bit more
| Indeed....the proper engineer's approach is surely not to have any
| directionality to what's on the tap. Just make it red or blue!

I posted this before, but will post it again.

Owain

Following hot on the heels of the introduction of new wiring colours to
harmonise British and European electrical installations, the EU is launching
a consultation process into further integrating building construction
methods across Europe.

Plumbing.

The marking of hot and cold taps with country- or language-specific
designations such as 'H' & 'C' is an impediment to the free trade of
plumbing fitting within the EU and does not accord with official EU policies
on multilingualism. The EU is also concerned about the safety implications
of a disparity of markings within the EU. The existing alphabetic-based
legends are also contrary to the EU's policy on social inclusion for the
literacy challenged. Accordingly, the Commission will introduce a Directive
to ensure that all hot and cold taps are marked with Euro-standard
pictograms of a snowflake for cold and a thermometer for hot. All new taps
fitted after 4/2006 will have to comply with the Directive. Existing taps do
not have to be replaced, but where a mix of old and new taps is present on
an installation, an approved warning notice in all Community languages must
be displayed adjacent to the mains water supply point.

The Commission is also concerned that the practice of putting the cold tap
on the right is both handist and disablist, discriminating as it does
against left-handed and one- or -no-handed persons. The Commission will in a
forthcoming Euro Water Directive require all taps fitted from 4/2008 to be
of an Approved Euro Tap design with equal access to both hot and cold
tap-handles from either side together with a child-proof temperature
limiter.

(c) me.