Owain

"Bob Eager" wrote
| raden wrote:
| One could do the same with conventionally mounted taps...have a
| little magnetised compass needle (on a movable bezel) inside
| each one...
| Or ... one could get out a bit more
| Indeed....the proper engineer's approach is surely not to have any
| directionality to what's on the tap. Just make it red or blue!

I posted this before, but will post it again.

Owain

Following hot on the heels of the introduction of new wiring colours to
harmonise British and European electrical installations, the EU is launching
a consultation process into further integrating building construction
methods across Europe.

Plumbing.

The marking of hot and cold taps with country- or language-specific
designations such as 'H' & 'C' is an impediment to the free trade of
plumbing fitting within the EU and does not accord with official EU policies
on multilingualism. The EU is also concerned about the safety implications
of a disparity of markings within the EU. The existing alphabetic-based
legends are also contrary to the EU's policy on social inclusion for the
literacy challenged. Accordingly, the Commission will introduce a Directive
to ensure that all hot and cold taps are marked with Euro-standard
pictograms of a snowflake for cold and a thermometer for hot. All new taps
fitted after 4/2006 will have to comply with the Directive. Existing taps do
not have to be replaced, but where a mix of old and new taps is present on
an installation, an approved warning notice in all Community languages must
be displayed adjacent to the mains water supply point.

The Commission is also concerned that the practice of putting the cold tap
on the right is both handist and disablist, discriminating as it does
against left-handed and one- or -no-handed persons. The Commission will in a
forthcoming Euro Water Directive require all taps fitted from 4/2008 to be
of an Approved Euro Tap design with equal access to both hot and cold
tap-handles from either side together with a child-proof temperature
limiter.

(c) me.